Wj's special terrain

WombatJ

So a couple games back me and my co-gamers were talking about how we never use special terrain from the book. We threw some random pieces on the table and tried some rules out. Long story short I decided to make some terrain pieces specifically for use as special terrain. The first one is intended to be used as a torture room (+ soulstone for a kill in the terrain) for dr mcmourning. It's a Victorian style morgue operating table. Let me know what you guys think.

optb_m_20.JPG

Also there's a full tutorial on how I did it with close ups and whatnot over at Live to Crush - http://blog.livetocrush.net/2013/01/05/malifaux-special-terrain-tutorials-morgue-torture-room/

Got another one for you guys. This one is supposed to be a soulstone vein, very quick and easy to make, especially since the rules force it to be so small. I know soulstones are generally white, this vein is blue, in an attempt to match with a Ramos crew's lightning (though I think the person it's for may end up using a different scheme anyway, oh well).

ssv_0.JPG

Tutorial over at live to crush. The main pic I got here is a little overexposed, so you don't see the subtle differences in rock color as well, but you get the idea. Also it helps me see a couple messups I made, but I already gave the piece away, so oh well :/.

Nice tutorial and very simple to do :) its given the itch to go make lots of speacial terrain for my games. Ive only ever used the rules once. But now i want to play them more.

Also we are in the process of recording our next episode for our podcast and it is dealing with terrain and its effects to the game, so this will definately be getting a mention thanks.

Looks great. I attempted to lure my frequent opponent into using the special terrain with rules, but i generally end up using them without the rules.

Great stuff though, nice tutorial.

The soulstone vein was a nice look. I didn't picture it like a crack in the ground, that's a good take. For some reason i pictured crystal popping up, like necron bits.

can't wait to see more.

Maybe a creepy structure?

I'm working on making some cut outs below my terrain which I think will make using terrain easier. I'm not sure if it'll kill the suspension of disbelief. Until then, since this is at most 2"x2", I felt like I had to make it basically a flat surface. I initially wanted to make crystals protruding from a boulder, but the rules say that the model needs to be completely within the terrain, so simple and flat was the way to to. Thanks for the comments guys!

Very nice stuff. We try and run with Special Terrain as often as possible, but with the exception of a sacrificial pit we made for Warhammer and a Graveyard, we've been making do with makeshift things like coins, boxes, and bits of cardboard. I've recently bought a few trees from a model train aisle in the local hobby store to make Hanging Trees, but you've inspired me to keep going and make more!

Yeah, unfortunately I'm mostly on the "bits of cardboard" type situation as well. I finally decided it just wasn't cutting it. This stuff really isn't that hard to make, and it looks a million times better. I'll be making some non-special terrain as well soon too, but couldn't resist adding another dimension to the game with these pieces.

Gah, I just thought of another cool idea for a soulstone vein. You could make one piece of terrain that's large and relatively vertical, like some kind of mountain face or a butte or something. On the side of it you could make some jutting out gem structures, and this whole piece of terrain would just be treated as severe or impassable or whatever. Then, you also create a fully separate 2"x2" piece of terrain, which is just a flat piece of ground meant to be butted up against your butte and then used as a soulstone vein, basically to mark out the area where you could successfully mine from.

The best part of this post-work idea is that I gave that previous soulstone vein away, so there's a chance of me actually making this at some point (since I don't have my own ss vein to incite apathy). Here's a crappy picture, in case my crappy description didn't work -

ssv_concept1.jpg

If my crappy picture doesn't help... I dunno, I got nothing for ya. This could make a really interesting match if placed as a centerpiece, with not just one, but TWO soulstone veins attached to it.

When I saw the pic, before I even read what it was supposed to be, McMourning had already popped into my head. Very nice. I like the cleaver on the floor, and everything looks so grimy.

Also:

I know soulstones are generally white,

I'm going to totally geek out for a moment. It says in the first book, on page 7 that "The stones came in a variety of hues..." So I say go nuts with whatever colors you want to paint the stones.

Edited by Meat Puppet

Haha, geek out at will, this is certainly the place for it. What I'd heard is that almost all soulstones are white, and there's rare ones that are colored, that's good enough for me. This is apparently a very rare soulstone vein, even more worth fighting for!

Thanks for the comment, I definitely tried to theme it as "McMourning"ly as possible, so it's good to hear that I pulled it off. The one post facto problem I had is that the person I gave it to has changed his basing style for McMourning from the cobblestones he has on some of his other ressurectionists to a tile flooring, but that happened after my personal deadline to get these done, so nothing I could do. Anyway, it should still fit pretty well.

As for the griminess, it's really amazing how quickly it goes from a shiny new, bland, lacking-character piece of terrain, seen here -

optb_m_15.JPG

(and more WIP pics at the tutorial - http://blog.livetocrush.net/2013/01/05/malifaux-special-terrain-tutorials-morgue-torture-room/)

to the clearly well lived in, well used, and unsanitary (all good things, for resurrectionists, if not for us) operating theatre from the OP -

optb_m_20.JPG

And all it takes is a bit of brown and red washed over the top. I do worry about going overboard on the goriness sometimes, but I couldn't help myself on this one, it just calls for it.

Hey superpals, got some more pieces hot off the presses for ya. I dunno if you can call them terrain, but they're definitely special! Soulstone bags!

ssb_10.JPGssb_9.JPG

Another extremely simple to make piece of special terrain. These are done in the same styling as the soulstone veins. These are pretty thrown together, you could certainly spend more time getting all the detail straight, but the concept is there and for a couple markers you won't end up using all the time, I think these look pretty solid at tabletop quality.

Check out the full tutorial and post at the site - http://blog.livetocrush.net/2013/01/19/malifaux-special-terrain-tutorials-mountain-soulstone-bags/

• 2 weeks later...