Collodi questions re: simultaneous activation and Collodi's Dolls

Allandrel

Question

I'm trying to get some clarification on the timing with Collodi and his marionettes.

1) Holding the Strings reads "Friendly Marionettes within 6" may immediately activate after this model's activation ends."

Collodi's Dolls reads "If this model starts its activation further than 8" from a friendly Collodi, immediately Push this model directly toward a friendly Collodi until it is no further than 8" away."

Since Holding the Strings causes the marionettes to simultaneously activate, do you resolve Collodi's Dolls immediately, or when you resolve each individual activation? Given the way the marionettes pull Collodi all over the place this can obviously have a big effect on how they play.

2) Collodi's (0) Doll Friends reads "One friendly Doll within 6" of Collodi activates after this model's activation ends."

Since Holding the Strings says marionettes "immediately activate after this model's activation ends," does that mean that the subject of Doll friends is considered to activate separately after the marionettes' simultaneous activation?

3) Regarding Collodi's Dolls, the rules for pushing a model "directly towards" something state that it stops if it touches anything it cannot move over (blocking terrain, another model's base, etc.), even if the effect would push it further.

So if a Marionette's direct path to Collodi is blocked, say 10" from Collodi, how does this affect the limitation that the marionette cannot be moved further than 8" from Collodi?

Is the marionette able to move at all until its direct path to Collodi is no longer blocked, or can it move so long as its move takes it closer to Collodi?

3) (2) Mend Puppets: Do you make a single Healing flip and apply it to all friendly Dolls within 4", or make a separate Healing Flip for each affected model?

5 answers to this question

(1) As I understand it, Holding the strings is kinda like companioning but with different timing. They have to be within the 6" to be activated. If you were to use the Pull Strings ability to move Collodi, then when the models activation began Collodi's Dolls would activate.

(2) As for Doll Friend and Holding the Strings, I was under the impression that Doll Friend took precedence for the same reason that Ophelia's Family tree does. http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?21760-Companion-and-Family-Tree&highlight=companion+family+tree

3) it was changed to towards, not directly towards.

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

3) it was changed to towards, not directly towards.

I would suggest downloading the model clarifications page, the FAQ and the Errata from the Malifaux website.

Ah, thanks! I missed that despite reading the "once per activation" change to Pull the Strings right next to it.

The push is a place within (but not wholy within) 4" as per errata on pushes. It is not directly toward. I believe that Doll Friend also says immediately after, as well, doesn't it? That would mean that you have your choice as they would all be immediately.

For the "variant companion," Collodi would activate, do his actions, then all the immediately activating dolls would happen in any order of your choosing. This can pull Collodi further away from the other Marionettes allowing them to push before they take the rest of their actions.