Beckoners outside Lynch's crew

Sybaris

This week-end i've tested 2 Beckoners in a Zoraida crew.

While they were not particularily bad, they didn't accomplish much, and i suspect this is due to the lack of synnergy outside of a Jacob Lynch crew. No one else can use the brilliance they spread.

Granted, i didn't use a melee heavy crew this time, so perhaps the Come Hither spell didn't play its part as much as it should.

Have any of you tried them in a non-Lynch crew yet? what were your results?

I find Beckoners surprisingly good for their cost. They can be speedy because of their combined lure/ Move towards them Spell. And their Honeyed Words can cause a surprising amount of dmg to many models. Hit them with it once, then use Know My Client and up their WP to 8, then hit them again and a good percentage of the time you'll be able to do moderate or severe dmg with it.

Additionally as long as the don't get ganged they are very difficult to shift. As long as you hit what is nearby them with Brilliance anything coming after them has to make an Irresistible check, and then a double negative twist attack to hit them. I've held off the Rail Golem for multiple turns with one Beckoner, who eventually killed it.

Beckoners are exactly what I wish Doxies were like, they are totally solid models.

Interesting ideas, i might not have delved into it enough. I noted that they indeed could cause some dmg, with Wp 6 and ignoring cover. The "Know my client" (0) is very solid indeed. It's just their weak dmg 1 that makes it less appealing.

As a side note...

What happens if the doppleganger mimics Honeyed Words? Does it use its Wp or its Cb to attack?

With Zoraida close by, i could copy her Wp (10) and Honeyed Words in order to create a rather scary weapon combination.

I do agree that they are very solid 5ss models, no problem there, i just didn't see the applications during my game with them when there is no other "brilliance-hungry" models.

Edited by Sybaris

I've tried them in other crews and been very happy with them - moving my own crew about with come hither, pseudo-paralysing with sales pitch, tarpitting something they made brilliant or simply shooting stuff - they have plenty to recommend them.

Willpower and casting both high, irresistible with then a double neg on casting and attacks...very solid indeed.