my scuplting ideas,..

Webmonkey

Great job man (especially for only the second model you have ever sculpted). My only criticism would be in regards to painting. I would probably suggest some dry brushing on the Wings, arms and wispy parts to ease the transitions and define the sculpting a bit.

I really like how the base turned out and think that some Object Source Lighting (if'n your feeling up to it) could also assit with the look of the finished piece (sort of like the creature has just been summoned with in the magick circle). A turquois light would probably look pretty good with the otherwise monochromatic paintjob (a strong magenta or purple might also look really good though).

*nods* I still have a bit of paint work on the wings to do. the lower half and the arms have a bit of a charcoal grey on them for contrast against the black. Though maybe it doesn't show up well in the picture.

I was thinking the same thing about the summoning circle. If you look,.. I actually do have some letters in "ice blue" in the rings. But perhaps it's a bit too pale and gets lost in translation. Maybe you're right, a turquoise might help,.. just that touch more green might help the contrast stand out a bit.

Never tried my hand at the OSL painting. Not sure how it would come out. Also,.. there's the issue of how exactly does the light land upon a creature of smoke and shadow???

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

And considering the image that I started with, I think I got pretty close. *grin*

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it may not fit the Malifaux world perfectly well, but here's my story anyways,..

FLUFF:

Late at night, in the orphanage. If you creep carefully and quietly enough up the stairs, all the way to the room in the attic. And if you put your head to the door and listen, or are brave enough peek through the keyhole,..

There you'll see a young girl, (Candy) kneeling on the edge of her bed. She stares across the room as she speaks in giggles and hushed whispers to the darkness of her opened closet. The closet itself remains silent, motionless, dark and empty,.. empty except for one thing. It seems to be full of a feeling of dread that wafts out from it, piercing your senses like being caught off-guard by the scent of a bad purfume.

And sometimes, just sometimes,.. if you can fight away that feeling of dread, and if you can ignore that feeling of all the hairs on your skin standing on edge. Then,.. sometimes,.. you can see her grab her book and a piece of chalk. She then begins to draw a symbol just outside of the darkness of her closet. And then, with a single drop of blood from the end of her finger dropped into the summoning circle, then darkness of the closet begins to writhe and swirl. It first flows down into the symbol, energizing it and releasing a sickly pale glow into the room. Then, the smoke-like shadows begin to swirl and rise from the center of the symbol, until they finally settle on a more solid form,.. that of the "Nameless". The Nameless looks at her somehow through its featureless face, tilting it's head slightly to the side and opening its mouth. Though wether that is its smile or simply a hiss, is hard to tell.

How the two of them first met is unknown. And where she found that summoning book is an even bigger mystery. (Though it is rumored that Pandora's personal library may be one book shorter then she thinks it is.) All we do know, is that somehow, the two of them seem to be able to understand each other. And that for some reason, the Nameless has taken a liking to her.

Few have been brave enough to stay and see the whole ritual. One person, (the old grounds-keeper) was even brave enough to enter the room and try to take the book from her by force,.. thinking he was saving her from the evil the book contained inside. Much to the old man's surprise, the Nameless was not held by the summoning circle. In fact, while it is true that his bottom half must always be in touch with the darkness from the universe on the other side of the portal,.. the portal itself is not fixed. Somehow, wether through design of the spell, or through some flaw that Candy performed while doing it,.. the portal itself can move. It slides along the ground (or even up walls) as the Nameless moves, giving him the same freedom of movement in this universe that any other creature enjoys.

As the old grounds-keeper burst into the room and lunged for both Candy and the book, the Nameless let out a hideous hissing-howl and shot across the room, sinking his long, needle-like fingers, deep into the old mans flesh. The old man was then dragged, kicking and screaming, into the darkness of the summoning portal. Once both the Nameless and the old man were completely through,.. the portal closed behind them in a burst of sickly pale light, and a small puff of smoke. The grounds-keeper was never heard from again.

The moral of this story??,.. well,.. there really isn't one. Except to suggest that the next time your child comes to you complaining about the monster in their closet,.. you may want to give it more consideration. After all,.. have they read any good books lately???

Edited by Webmonkey

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok,.. had to scrap the feet and start over. So instead, I've started with the pants,.. from the waist down to the knees. It's currently baking, and once it's cooled, I'll do a rework on the shin-guards and the feet/shoes. Pictures to follow in the next day or so.

Hope the rest of you are coming along with your projects. *grin*

• 4 months later...