C. Hoffman tactics

Rameses

I have pretty firm grasp (I hope) on the Hoff-ball tactic for a C. Hoffman crew.

So after a quick google and forum search for other Hoffman tactics, I came up with nothing.

Does this mean that there are no other tactics for Hoffman?

I mean seriously; I get that it's good. No: Really really good. But it really does seem limiting and once your opponent knows whats gonna happen: doesn't this leave you open for: Construct Disassembly?

Unfortunately Hoffman plays like the centre of a machine. The current accepted way is to play the 'Hoffstar' with at least a Peacekeeper and Guardian (16 stones) and possible a totem (attendant or toolkit. Pushing it up to 19/20 stones)

In a usual 35 stone game this gives you around 15 stones to play with. So it's natural to go towards more constructs to keep the Hoffstar going.

One way I experimented with was using three witchlings and a watcher as objective grabbers for a while. Though they couldn't really compete with the Hoffstar...

I usually take the Watcher every game with Hoffman, as it makes Stake a Claim ridiculously easy to score with - just keep the Watcher 14" away and for the rest of the game it's 3 Soulstones that filters your cards for you. Wardens are another key piece for me; with strategies like Deliver the Message and their ability to scale walls, they're a solid 5 Soulstone piece with decent combat ability. Hoffman gives them some really solid Cb to work with for their Paralyze trigger as well.

Needing something to ride around on and having great-but-short-ranged tricks for constructs is pretty much the Hoffman experience. If you want to mitigate this, try taking a smaller robo-core, like say Hoff, a Warden, and your Mobile Toolkit, and devote the rest of your stones to a different force. It's a big fat myth that you need to go all Ro-Bros with Hoffman, and indeed fielding Hoffman and a mix of constructs and other Guild favorites (viva Ortegas!) is going to shore up your lack of board influence, and possibly throw your opponent's expectations off.