New to Malifaux looking to start Guild with Hoffman and ??

Alphadork1

Hey All,

Long time miniature gamer who (after a great demo game at the LGS yesterday) is finally getting into Malifaux. I'd greatly appreciate some feedback on a couple of questions.

I plan on starting with Hoffman and either Lady J or Sonia (1st question - which of these two masters is the better compliment to Hoffman?)

2nd question is on my "purchase plan" which is currently as follows:

Hoffman boxed set

Mechanical Attendant

Peacekeeper

So, depending on whether I pick up Lady J or Sonia what other models should I get in addition to their respective boxed sets and am I missing any key models for Hoffman?

Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

I can't really speak to who goes best with Hoffman in a brawl, but I enjoy playing lady j. Sonnia box comes with witchling stalkers which is a great minion. So sonnia is a good boxset to buy.

As far as missing models here is off the top of my head:

Large steampunk arachnid

Mobile toolkit

Wardens

Mechanical rider

Soustone miner

Steampunk arachnid swarm, and arachnids.

Welcome to the fold.

Not sure what you mean by....compliment Hoff? I would interpret that as Strategy-wise. The Hoff is very good at moving around, so I would think you want someone who can dish out some damage. Or maybe you're looking for a play-style that is a bit different?

If the question is about Brawls, then I can't help you because I don't play them...there are too many wonky combos in Brawls.

If I'm slightly right, I like Sonnia. Both ladies can dish out some damage, but Lady J is more in your face (like Hoffman) and Sonnia is fiery blasts of death from afar.

As far as what models go with what, there are a gazillion threads...just check the titles in this section of the thread and go back a few pages, you'll find lots.

@Agreen53 - thanks for the input.

My question on which of the other Guild master best compliments Hoffman is a three parter on play style, bad match ups and ability to use the same models in a list.

Hoffman looks to me like he wants to field a group of constructs that sticks pretty close to each other during a game (a "turtling" style of play) - which other Guild masters play either a more mobile or "hit and run" style of game?

I assume that some of the other factions are a bad match up for Hoffman - which masters are strong against those factions?

Lastly, once I've settled on that second master, which models will work well with both them and Hoffman.

Again - thanks for any advice.

I'm not strong on Hoffman...though I'm pretty good with all the ladies. Sonnia it is I think. Not hit and run, more run and gun.

Guardian and Watcher will go well with Sonnia. There are not many normal Guild models that go well with Hoff since he likes the constructs. Sonnia could work with plenty of others.

Yeah, no Rail Golem for the Hoff.....that would just be wrong.

For Sonnia I've been enjoying something like:

Guild Crew - 35 - Scrap

Sonnia Criid
--
8 Pool

• Brutal Effigy
    [4ss]

• Desperate Mercenary
    [2ss]

• Executioner
    [7ss]

• Watcher
    [3ss]

• Witchling Handler
    [7ss]

• Witchling Stalker
    [4ss]

• Witchling Stalker
    [4ss]

I like the Handler and Executioner followed by the Brutal for a little team....You could swap out the Executioner for Santiago if you want more guns. The Watcher can either go do objectives or light up enemies to remove their cover bonuses so Sonnia can blast them.