The First(?) from Brazil and a ton of questions

keraunos

Hello,

My name is Thiago. I got interested on boardgames 6 years ago, and in mini wargaming for like 3 years now. I've played many minis games like Heroscape, Star Wars Miniatures, Dreamblade, Heroclix, and even own 3 warmahordes starters and all MERCS factions. A year ago I discovered Malifaux and was psyched about it. the low figure count of the game and interesting assymetric play got me salivating on the idea of trying the system.

Well, and today I managed to trade some boardgames on 2 starters ( Marcus and Viktorias) as well as the 1rst rulebook. I'm already reading pullmyfinger like a nut just waiting for my stuff to arrive.

But first, I have a TON of questions about the system,minis, and just wargaming overall.

1-I've never played any measure tape style game before. To me,it seems very clumsy having to move my pieces that way. Can someone tell me more about how if this is true or not?

2- I must buy anything to represent clouds of gas, fires, area of effects or other things like that?

3- Is there the necessity of buying multiples of some figures? I can know that Nicodem is a zommbie master that need a bunch of them ( don't know how many). Is there other cases when we do need more than one to make it matter?

4- Where I can get my minis painted? I have some paints and brushes but I'm most interested on playing at the moment.

5- I kinda dislike demonic themes... I'm on Malifaux more for the cool zombie lords and the awesome cowboys( love the death marshals). Shoul I skip the neverborn alltogether or just Lillith?

6- As I just got the 1rst rulebook, do you recommend me to get the 1.5 one?

Well, I guess this is it! Thx everyone for answering.

Hello,

My name is Thiago. I got interested on boardgames 6 years ago, and in mini wargaming for like 3 years now. I've played many minis games like Heroscape, Star Wars Miniatures, Dreamblade, Heroclix, and even own 3 warmahordes starters and all MERCS factions. A year ago I discovered Malifaux and was psyched about it. the low figure count of the game and interesting assymetric play got me salivating on the idea of trying the system.

Well, and today I managed to trade some boardgames on 2 starters ( Marcus and Viktorias) as well as the 1rst rulebook. I'm already reading pullmyfinger like a nut just waiting for my stuff to arrive.

Hi Welcome

But first, I have a TON of questions about the system,minis, and just wargaming overall.

1-I've never played any measure tape style game before. To me,it seems very clumsy having to move my pieces that way. Can someone tell me more about how if this is true or not?

Yes and No. At first it can be cumbersome to use the tape measure. My suggestion head to your DIY type store and find the thinnest smallest tape measure possible.

2- I must buy anything to represent clouds of gas, fires, area of effects or other things like that?

Not really one of our great residents aka Ratty has made wonderful PdF's that have all the markers you need, just print them out and either use as is. Attach to bits of plastic card or go as far as gluing to spare bases. You can find the PdF's at this link

3- Is there the necessity of buying multiples of some figures? I can know that Nicodem is a zommbie master that need a bunch of them ( don't know how many). Is there other cases when we do need more than one to make it matter?

With rezzers like Nicodem you will pretty much want one "blister" of each type of undead made by Wyrd: eventually.

4- Where I can get my minis painted? I have some paints and brushes but I'm most interested on playing at the moment.

Well you can paint them yourself there are plenty of online resources that give great tutorials on how to paint "table top quality" or you can just assemble your mini's prime them white or grey and give them a quick wash using a "Black Wash" just to make details pop.

5- I kinda dislike demonic themes... I'm on Malifaux more for the cool zombie lords and the awesome cowboys( love the death marshals). Shoul I skip the neverborn alltogether or just Lillith?

that of course is your choice. However as you get more people interested in playing or meet new players please understand that will not have the same distaste as yours. My suggestion at that point would be "grin and bare it" and do whats important: enjoy a good game of Malifaux!

6- As I just got the 1rst rulebook, do you recommend me to get the 1.5 one?

You do not have to have Rule Book 1.5 but it certainly makes it easier to learn the game, since the game has evolved with rules errata since Rules Book 1 was originally released. But that's not to say you can not just download the errata which is freely available to download here on the Malifaux Forums.

Well, I guess this is it! Thx everyone for answering.

My answers are in red

Welcome. I mostly just agree with Rameses. Just a couple things........

on 3: This really depends on how you play. Some crews can consist of all different models, or they can run with more generic duplicates. The Viktorias could run with 3 Ronin for example, Marcus could run with 3 Molemen. I suggest you just try out the starters first then decide what you want to do. Fortunately, anything that you might want multiples of usually comes in a multi-model blister.

on 4: Agree with Rameses that painting yourself is best....it can be very rewarding once you dedicate some time to it. That said, if you want to hire someone to paint mini's for you, you can just put up a post in the trading area or miniature matter area that you are looking for one and start a bidding contest.

On 6: Do you mean you found a copy of the original rulebook? That came out like 3-4 years ago? That's pretty rare, but in essence I think a waste of money. Most of the rules in the book have been clarified or updated to the point of making that book all but un-useable. For new players I strongly recommend getting the 1.5 book.

There is some complications in the term 1st rule book.

There is Book one, which contains a lot of stories and models for 5 factions. It has been out of print for a while as teh rules in it are no longer the correct rules.

It was replaced by the rules manual which is a small book which contains the rules but no information on the models.

They have recently started to sell what is refered to as book 1.5 that contains the storied and the crews from book 1 with the right rules in.

I would strongly recomend getting 1.5, but if you have the rules manual (most of which is availble as a download from Wyrd) you have the rules required to play. If you only have the old first book, you can use it to play, but be aware that most groups of players will be using a different rules set to you. This is only a problem if you have rules disscussions, or want to start playing with other groups.

Using a tape measure wil start as cumbersome, but you might get back to hex or square based games and wish you could move more freely like a tape based game allows.

There is almost no nessecity to buy any model. You might choose to field a crew which contains multiples of 1 model, but thats your choice.

Enjoy the game

There is almost no nessecity to buy any model. You might choose to field a crew which contains multiples of 1 model, but thats your choice.

Really? I heard this especially about nicodem: that I should buy more zombies as he can summon them from corpse counters and benefits from having a large horde of undead about him.

Also there's the case of the nephilins: they go from terror tots to young to mature. Maybe I will need to buy the extra forms if I'm wanting to field them.

Let me reformulate my question: what are the cases were I'll need to buy more copies of minis that camei n blisters or on the crewboxes for them to perform better with some masters? How many morezombies for nico? How many witchling stalkers for sonnia? How many nephilin for teror tots? How many daydreams for the dreamer an so on...?

Ok, I understand.

I Don't play Nicodim but know he can do well focusing on Bolster undead rather than Arise, so can be played well without the horde. Owning the horde gives you another way to play him, but isn't essential to play him.

I started to write a post out and it got pretty long, so here is a summery.

Ressurectionists

Nicodim will want some zombies. How many depends on how you play him. 3 might be plenty, or you might need 6-9 depending if you want the swarm of zombies, or prefer fewer quality troops. He also needs models to summon.

Kirai wants 2 blisters of seishin, a blister of Gaki and a shikome beyond her starter box to cover her summons. You might want more.

McMorning will want a flesh construct to summon.

Guild

Sonnia wants some witchling stalkers. 3 is probably enough unless you really want to field more

Arcanist

Ramos WANTS an electrical creation. It is really good. If you play Ramos this should be your first purchase. You only need 1 its unique.

He can need lots of spiders and swarms but only if you want them.

Corephyee need a Duet. I have magnitised mine so the same models do both.

Collette needs 1 blister of doves.

Neverborn

Zoraida wants 1 Voodoo doll. She might also want some wicked dolls.

The Terror tots- Young -Mature nephlim growth is nice, but I would often be prepared to take terror tots and Young even if I couldn't grow them.

Dreamer wants a pack of daydreams

Outcasts

Somer works a lot better with Mosquitos, and can have up to 4. He probably also wants you to own plenty of Bayou gremlins and piglets, but that can depend on how you play him.

Leveticus wants 2 waifs and will probably generate steampunk abominations. once you get to 4 of theese you want a desolation engine.

You may well find that your play style worked better with Multiple copies of a sculpt, but probably with the exception of the Seishin you don't need to field a duplicate sculpt. The lists may suit your play better with one, but they aren't vital. Of course there are 2 sculpts for flesh constructs and young nephlim.

Leveticus, Kirai, Sommer and Nicodem are the summoning masters that really need several models to summon. The others can cope without.

Ramos, Colette, The dreamer and Zoraida probably really want you to own their totem. (well electrical creation for ramos)

Hope that helps.

Ok, I understand.

I Don't play Nicodim but know he can do well focusing on Bolster undead rather than Arise, so can be played well without the horde. Owning the horde gives you another way to play him, but isn't essential to play him.

I'm a resser through and through and even though I am rarely on here, I will share my two cents on the resser faction. I am an imperfect snowflake, so there might be some biased opinions but I play like I am the bad guy in a zombie movie.

McM is probably the easier of the others. He is very self sustaining as long as you are attacking people every turn. He's not the summoner Nico is but he doesn't need to be. His primary crew consists of Flesh Constructs and Sebastian. Some people like to take Canine Remains, I agree with this because they are relatively cheap and effective in groups, especially with Sebastian who lets them move as a pack.

Kirai is not my cup of tea for several reasons but I won't share them here, I suggest talking to someone who is though.

Seamus is a master of model manipulation, not the zombie overlord you seem to favor. My brother is a veteran with him, but he's reclusive as well. He's a lot tougher than he seems at first glance. With him, he strives with his Belles, Sybelle, and even Molly Squidgepidge.

Nico is my homeboy =P

Either way he's going to be expensive because his model count snowballs as the battle rages on. I have found ways around this that aren't Wyrd friendly though. If your local game store has Warhammer models, I suggest looking at the Vampire Lords peasants or something like that. When I play a normal game with Nicodem, which is about 35SS, I find I use about 6-10 mindless zombies. At $15 for three in a blister that's up to $50 for a poor person such as myself, I went with the cheapo plastic ones from GW because I got 20 proxies for about $30.

If you're going with Nico, you should look into Mortimer who has a spell (Exhume) which somewhat reliably allows you to get Corpse Counters (since we ressers can't scavenge anymore). Punk Zombies are a staple of Nico, Belles are good and tanky, Flesh Constructs are pretty nice too.

A lot of what you'll need for a Nico list is in Book 1/1.5. While he can summon a lot more than anyone else that doesn't always mean it will help. I've found that Nico is a very good "play as you go" Master because he can roll will any Masters punches.

The only masters he will have a hard time with are those that deny him Corpse Counters because he needs them to work right.

That's my two cents, I do apologize if it's TL;DR

Hello, and thanks for the answer.

Now, I just own Marcus( which I'm already told that SUCKS) and a Viktoria crew. But the thought of sending a massive wave of undead at the enemy surely got my head spinning.

I'll will certainly buy Nico as soon as possible.( already in process of buying Seamus)!

Now, I just own Marcus( which I'm already told that SUCKS)

Marcus does not suck. There are plenty of people that frequent the boards (myself included) that have done very well with Marcus. He can be a challenge to play properly and I will say that Marcus' starter box is very difficult to win with, but Marcus with the proper crew is very good.

Of course, there is no denying the fun you can have with the Rezzers too.