various terrain effects

spydr261

Question

On several occasions my opponent has set up his Viktoria crew inside some woods and shot the hell out of my crew while I had trouble shooting back. I know that while inside obscuring terrain, you receive cover but what about the person you are shooting at? He says that as long as his guys are within 3" of the forest edge when they shoot, I don't get cover. But I recently looked in the RM and there doesn't seem to be anything in there to support his view. The way I read it, the shooter has to come to the edge of the woods so that no lines of sight pass over the terrain (in other words, around half the base needs to be exposed) in order to shoot without penalty. I also think is says that as long as some portion of a model's base is in the woods, it gets cover.

While I was looking this up, I looked at how elevation affects ranged attacks but couldn't find anything on it. The RM describes how elevation affects LoS and melee but not ranged attacks. Does being on elevation add to the distance like in melee or is it ignored?

Lastly, the RM says that falling damage only occurs when a model falls at least 3" (i.e. Ht 3). So a model can fall from Ht 2 without taking damage but does it cost movement to fall like this?

2 answers to this question

First, Models can draw LoS up to 3" across in intervening base with the obscuring trait, but not entirely through the base. (RM pg 15).

The base it's talking about here is the base of the terrain piece in your case. The woods have a base outlining the area that is obscuring, and his models are inside it. As long as they can draw a line from his model to yours that passes through no more than 3" of the forest's base he can draw LoS to you, and you do not gain cover unless your model is itself inside or behind terrain that would give you cover.

Note that he can't see through more than 3", so if he's in woods about 2" from the edge and you're in another woods also 2" from the edge then you can't see each other as that's 4" of obscuring terrain you're looking through.

You can't see entirely through an obscuring base (ie the forest) from one side to the other even if the base (forest) is less than 3" wide.

Second, elevation doesn't affect the range of ranged attacks, you measure horizontally only, though different elevations can affect LoS. (see clarifications & errata)

Lastly, I don't see anything about it taking movement to fall... I suppose it could easily be argued that it does not. If you could climb down something it would cost movement but not hurt you; falling hurts you but you get down a lot faster. ;) Not sure what the official answer would be on this one.