hey guys new to guild here

GKovacs

Sooooo I thought I would let sonnia see a bit of action so here is a 35ss list for you all to munch on

Please please criticique

Sonnia Criid - -4

Guild austringer - 5

Witchling stalker - 4

Witchling stalker - 4

Witchling handler - 7

16 stones spent and I need your help next .... Samael or Santiago?

I know I could include both but want a decent about of ss to start the game with

Samael would leave me 9 ss

Santiago would leave me 10ss

Am only taking into account as I can see she burns through then like hell

Cheers

In a scrap, there is a limit of 8 soul stones in your starting pool, do you want to spend at least 31ss in a 35ss game or you're wasting points. She does really like stones though, so I would try and get 7 or 8 in the list.

Samael is good, but he seems to go down quite easily when I use him - I tend to prefer Santiago, because paired means he's more reliable attacking models in cover and there aren't many people in your list competing with him for masks...

The list you've put up is actually 20ss - 27 if you add Santiago, which means you've got 4ss to spend if you want a max pool. My recomendations would probably be a Death Marshal, a 3rd Witchling Stalker (although I like to have a spare ready for violate), a 2nd Astringer (who would leave you with 7ss, but a very decent shooting ability) or 2 Guild Hounds (who cost 6ss, but would give you an extra in your pool from their special rule for a 7ss pool again).

Hounds are speedy, cheap activations that can be turned into Witchlings later if needed, Austringer is a great shooter and the Death Marshal is a good all rounder that can add some close up shooting...

A pair of desperate mercs could also work - Sonnia can easily violate 1 or both into Witchlings turn 2 by using Inferno turn 1 and leaving them on a single wound.

On the choice between Samuel and Santiago I would say it depends on what you are trying to do.

Samuel throws out damage like candy. But he is probably best defending an area as you want to waste as few action points as possible on moving. Most opponents will put a high priority on killing him, but that because he can be doing 6 damage on a weak shot.

Santiago is more mobile, and so I'd use him more when I have to reach objectives.

On the choice between Samuel and Santiago I would say it depends on what you are trying to do.

Samuel throws out damage like candy. But he is probably best defending an area as you want to waste as few action points as possible on moving. Most opponents will put a high priority on killing him, but that because he can be doing 6 damage on a weak shot.

Santiago is more mobile, and so I'd use him more when I have to reach objectives.

I fully agree. Generally speaking, I have had success with Samael because of the combination of Rapid Fire and Flaming Bullets. He is a whopping 8ss, however, and he is only Df 4 and has no real defensive triggers or abilities, making him a little squishy. If you use him carefully (like putting him in cover and only popping out when you have a good shot, or buffing his def. with spells), he's worth the investment. If not, he'll get gunned down.

I haven't used Santiago yet, so I can't comment on my experience with him, but he is a little cheaper at 7ss, and has Hard to Kill and Bulletproof 1, and "Just a Fleshfound" allowing him to shrug off damage. He's much more durable and can get in as many shots as Sam, but he doesn't have the same damage output as him with a flaming Colt .45.

On another note, I might consider replacing the austringer for a Guardian (although it's more expensive) to protect Sonnia. She is quite vulnerable and could use the extra shield (or, if you run Sam, the Guardian can cover him as he advances).

Hope this helps! I encourage you to visit the Malifaux wiki so you can check out how others feel.

http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/

I wouldn't exactly call Santiago better at getting objectives than Sam - he gets a sudo nimble move once he's taken half his wounds, but Sam ignores rough terrain always. Although Sam has huge potential damage, I think Santiago is a much more consistent damage model for Guild:

-paired attacks

-Trigger Happy for additional attacks Vs same target

-gets more effective when injured

-the extra walk once below half allows him to actually use Rapid fire more consistently

Sam is better in melee, but they are both wasting their potential if they're stuck in melee. I like Sam and enjoy using him with Sonnia for theme reasons, but for optimising a list, I'd rather have Santiago...

The Guardian is also a great minion for Sonnia as has been said, but he's especially nice for Santiago as you can keep him alive in the sweet spot of under half strength...

Watchers are good, depending on objective as they are fast objective grabbers.

There is always the option of an executioner. A pretty decent model for 7ss with plenty of wounds. All be it a lower than average defence. Most people call him slow. But he is no slower than a witchling or sam.

With the sam/santiago dialema i would personally go with same as the (0)flaming bullets is great. Esecially when you can ricochet onto targets within 3".

Hounds are also a great choice for objective grabbing and violating like said above. So to be honest any of the choices mentioned are all really good ideas. Its all a matter of personal choice and which models you prefer fluff/looks wise?

You are right that for most of the game Sammual will actually be able to move better than Santiago. But in my experience Santiago can be a point man. Sammual has such a big target painted on him that you must kill him or regret it. His weak damage can be more than Santiagos severe!

In effect they both ignore cover, but I'm not so worried about Santiago shooting at my master as I am Sammual. I expect all master to survive 1 round of Santiago rapid firing.

That's not something I can say about Sammual.

From my experience, Sammual has to stay back to survive. Santiago has much more survivability, but also he doesn't have the same threat tag on his head, so if he advances, I might attack him, or I might attack something else.

I agree with adran. I will play sam like i play sonnia. Keeping them a tactical bound behind my front line of troops so they can jump forward and take out an opportune target eliminating the threat imidiately. Or moving them to a position where the enemy will within range if foolish enough then firing. Best place for this is using the terrain as a choke point or by objectives etc.

Sometimes i forego the urge to rapid fire sam and just take a shot then use the remaining action to retreat. I cast laming bullets every turn at the end of his activation to ensure he is always ready to shoot so i wont need to cheat a card from my hand in order to get it before firing.

He is a great charachter to use when used right. Although he is far from invulnerble.

I think Santiago is more reliable than Sam. They both have weaknesses, I've just found Santiago to almost always return his price....Sam only will if you're lucky or if your opponent underestimates him.

I like Fearlord's post above...using Santiago and having 4ss to buy something else. I differ in the choices. I see two possibilities; 1. Brutal Effigy...solid ranged/melee....and Invigorate...as one of the only things that can heal in the entire faction it's worth gold. 2. A Desperate Merc and Sonnia's Avatar. The Merc is a great in so many ways and Sonnia's Avatar is probably the best Guild one.

My only other suggestion which is odd SS to the above is figuring out how to get a Watcher in there. I really like him with Sonnia since he can take away the cover bonus...Sonnia REALLY likes not worrying about cover.

Yeah, the Brutal Effigy looks good to me, but I haven't tried it so I can't really speak to how it actually works in the game...

I always use the Avatar, but I'm not sure its the best way to learn the game, and don't really like to advise people to pick up such an expensive piece without trying it out a bit first (but it is great, and looks very cool!)

If you're playing Sonnia Criid, you absolutely must take the Desperate Mercenary. His main use is turning from a 2 Soulstone model into a 4 Soulstone one with Inferno -> Violation of Magic and he plays extremely well with her avatar. For a newer player, the Witchling Stalker transformation is the real draw and he can pump out some decent shots if you want to chance him staying at 1 Wd long enough to deal some damage before Sonnia converts him.