Curious about "Official" Malifaux writing/publishing

Jonasty

Someone mentioned this briefly in another post and it got me thinking. So I thought I'd ask it outright to those of you who've been enjoying the writing side of the forums for a while. Or even more so, a Wyrd employee if they see this.

Has anyone approached Wyrd or have they ever announced any kind of interest in "official" publishing of Malifaux based works? If you or they have, what has the response been like?

I'm curious as I am an amateur (i.e. unpublished) writer that has been exploring various options in getting some works published, mainly through self publishing ebooks. While I have a couple of novels brewing that are my own creations, I also have a desire to write in the world of Malifaux as the story behind the game is what drew me in the first place. That being the case, while I enjoy writing short stories of my own in the universe, with everything else I'm trying to accomplish I don't really have the resources or time to devote to a full Malifaux novel if there was no possibility of ever having it see the light of day outside of a fan fic on the forums.

Now of course, there's no guarantee that anything I came up with would meet their standards or excite them enough to allow me to publish under their brand but knowing the option was there would be exciting and informative. I'll always have the Writing Forums and Iron Quill available which is great but I thought I'd see what further options were out there.

Thanks.

Generally speaking, it is unlikely to be published writing licensed material that is unsolicited by the owners / creators. That's not to say that its impossible to be discovered, especially by a smaller organisation, but the bigger and more popular a license becomes, the more likely they are to attract / hire a bigger (or more established) name for any writing needs they might have.

If you want it published, write your own creation.

Wyrd have always said that if you want them to notice you, post up your work, and keep posting. Eventually they won't be able to ignore you and will at least take the time to decide if you're good enough.

I'm going to be writing a Malifaux novel for NaNoWriMo, and will likely post up the edited version, but I think the best chance for a fan to get work published is to write short stories and work towards the goal of a short story compilation (Tales From Beyond the Breach). Even so, written work is very unlikely to be published in a purchasable format (maybe Wyrd Chronicles), since you don't own the copyright for any material that includes Wyrd's IP, so they don't owe you anything.

Good luck with your writing =]