Can Lucius use Ruthless Leadership on himself?

teramaze

Question

Can Lucius use Ruthless Leadership on himself?

Special Forces (Elite Division)

“(0) Ruthless Leadership: Sacrifice a friendly Elite Division or Guardsman model within 2”. The model receives Reactivate. This Action may be taken one per turn.”

His Card

“A model is Friendly When:

· It is under that Crew’s Control

· It was hired by a Crew and is currently under that Crew’s control.

· It was brought into play by a friendly model and is currently under that Crew’s Control.”

I believe the answer is yes because meets all three requirements in the first sentence of being Elite Division and friendly and within 2 inches of himself when performing the action.

If it is a yes it does not seem right with what that open up in the game.

9 answers to this question

Usually if a rule is meant to include the 'caster' (so to speak) then it will specifically say that something along the lines of 'including this model'. I was under the impression that in general, as with auras and pulses, a model is not within the area unless it specifically includes it in the description. I don't have my rulebook handy to double check all of the wording though - so this is just my uderstanding at the moment.

Usually if a rule is meant to include the 'caster' (so to speak) then it will specifically say that something along the lines of 'including this model'. I was under the impression that in general, as with auras and pulses, a model is not within the area unless it specifically includes it in the description. I don't have my rulebook handy to double check all of the wording though - so this is just my uderstanding at the moment.

No, a model is always "within" range of itself.

It's not a spell, it's a (0) action

(0) Ruthless Leadership: Sacrifice a friendly Elite Division or Guardsman model within 2". This model receives Reactivate. This Action may be taken once per turn.

Yeah, okay.

So he CAN do it to himself, provided he has the required characteristics.

But why would you? He can't reactivate if he's not there...

Hardly a game breaker.

Oh, you'd do it for the same reason you ever want to sacrifice your own stuff: to deny points to your opponent in Slaughter, or for other strategy- or scheme-related reasons.

I would really like to see a change to the strategies and schemes such that it's never advantageous to sacrifice your own models purely to stop the opponent scoring them. It's a tedious way to play.

Yeah, okay.

So he CAN do it to himself, provided he has the required characteristics.

But why would you? He can't reactivate if he's not there...

Hardly a game breaker.

He has the required characteristic as list above in my posted.

As for reasons you would do it. Slaughter and Deliver Message you have now denied your opponent 10 points and 4 point respectively. That can give you an advantage that was not meant when the rule was written.