Another Newbie

Loftybloke

Hi All

After admiring the game system and miniatures from a far for a while, me and my wife have decided to buy a crew each and try out the game.

I've ordered the 1.5 rulebook so I get the fluff as well as the newest rules.

I have a few questions about miniatures though;

I thought I had decided on Lady Justice starter set, but then I saw the new plastic crews that are coming out, namely the new ten Thunders crew, and the Railfitters crew. The question I have is to do with 'old' miniatures and plastics - are there any plans to re-do the existing miniatures line in plastic, or will this just be for new releases?

My other question is to do with match ups. My wife has picked (maybe...) the Rasputina starter, and I was wondering if this is a good first crew? Especially in light of the crews I have listed for my own choices above.

Thanks a lot for any advice you can give

Lofty

Lady Justice and Rasputina make for a good set of crews to learn the game with. You get exposed to a lot of the core rules in it. So long as you're playing Strategies other than 'kill 'em all' it's not a bad match up at all.

As for the plastics, no word yet on old models going the plastic route.

Welcome to the forum!

If you find you do like the game then you will likely buy more models and more masters, and most players tend to buy within a single faction, as there is usually synergy between some models, and certainly hiring is permitted across many models within each faction.

Depending on budget you and your wife may choose to buy within different factions, or stick to a single faction (as you can still play Masters within the same faction against each other), but either way the Railworkers box set is Arcanist and may sit alongside Rasputina.

Edited by Serigala

Justice vs Rasputina is a good match up to learn the game with, they are both different crews that focus on different things.

With regards to the new plastic crews that are out

Very few people know what the box sets are like and how they play together. Whilst I would expect them to be playable, and to do so well, its not a garentee that the crew will work with just whats in the box, and the majority of the community aren't going to be able to offer much in the way of advise as we don't know yet.

Also they were pre-released at Gen con, but I don't think we've been given their official release dates yet, so you will probably have trouble in obtaining them.

All the figures in the Justice box and Rasputina box are in the 1.5 rulebook which may help (the rules for each figure are also in the box with the figure, but its nice to read about the models in the book, and look at the factions as a whole sometimes).

I'm no expect in plastic figures, but I understand that its quite expensive to create plastic molds, so re-molding the existing metal minitures into plastic is probably low on the list of priorities. I imagine there will be a point when it will happen, but I don't expect it in the next year or two.

Basically, I'd recomend sticking with what we know. but if you really want one of the newer crews out there, then go for it. Of the 3 starter boxes for the 10 Thunders we know, I don't think we have unplayable or even restrictive crews. (But I don't have my rulebook or figures yet) Its your crew and playing something you like is the most important thing.

Enjoy the game

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I'll be starting a modelling/painting thread once I finally get hold of a crew or two!

I'm reading as much as I can about the game/models at the moment whilst my rulebook is in transit, and the more I read the more interesting things become...

This should be a bit of a different experience to Warmachine/Hordes!

Lofty