PBF or Skype!

Okay, sounds like I'm playing sssk on map 1 of the pattern book.

Lets do a shoebox game. 8 puppets + 1 master.

This might be really a lot of work, but it should still be fun.

So to tell movement, we're going to state the puppet, master's side, then the letter of the board (A-K), then the number from the master's side to the opposite side.

S for Seamus

L for Lady J

etc...

ex. Ronin spawns from Seamus workbench, moves to SC3, ends turn.

ex. Ronin rips for exhaustion, moves to SB3, MINE!, moves to SC5, ends turn.

We will take it to pms after posting our teams. So more people should play eachother on here!

My Team:

Seamus

Hooded Rider

Bette Noire

Nurse

Punk Zombie

Rotten Belle

Malifaux Cherub

Convict Gunslinger

Ronin

edit: also I will post pics of our game for curious eyes

Edited by Doctor Lucky

Good luck guys. Though have to say, where's the love for December Acolyte? I think Seamus particularly could do with the extra card draw (via Hunting). I'd probably lose the Malifaux Cherub (not much it can offer in this match up). Nino's boss though so my money's on Justice for this match (suck on that My Little Hooded Rider) =]

Bear (pun intended) in mind that this is my 3rd... or maybe 4th, game of puppet wars proper (having played through the intro scenarios), and then watch your money scamper off into other people's pockets.

Should be good though, I'm looking forward to this.

but but but I just got hooded rider. Also, That thing on the back of his card paired with that one innate ability that one guy iwth the top hat has is scary enough. :D

End of Turn 1

DSC02428.jpg

Lady J's moleman suffered a death to Seamus, via bath time so he could go twice

End of Turn 2

DSC02429.jpg

Dead puppets: Executioner, Roin (mine), Gunslinger, Judge, Moleman

Flipped black joker on Judge with Roulette

End of Turn 3

DSC02430.jpg

No deaths! Just some pecking, sometimes literally (looking at you austringer)

Edited by Doctor Lucky

aaaand done! My camera died, but on round 2 of Turn 4, hooded rider came out of the left green workbench, moved, round 3, took a rip, and whacked off Lady J's lovely head.

Malifaux cherub was indeed unused. The hound also.

When my camera is up I will take a picture and also take some shots of metal vs plastic puppets.

well, I think PBF (or play by skype's messaging function, as it turned out) works pretty well. We had 1 moment of slight confusion right at the start, and after that it was really smooth.... unlike some of the decisions made through the game.

I'll leave the good doctor to tell the tale (briefly, as he has been doing), but one note to all of you budding puppet warriors:

Rotten belle's have umbrellas to fend off marauding pidgeons

EDIT: P.S. if anyone else fancies a game of PBF/messenging puppet wars in the near future (I have MSN or Skype, though I don't seem to have a microphone, so I'm restricted to messenging rather than actually speaking), PM me

Edited by sssk

DSC02431.jpg

The killing blow from Hooded Rider to Lady J. I believe sssk's plan was to make Bette Noire to go under the bed and put some hurt on Seamus. Luckily Hooded Rider was there to save the day ;)

Some Comparisons: I'm assuming since I won these as a prize, and pictures have already been posted here and there, that it is okay to post these.

DSC02433.jpg

post-9299-13911924740521_thumb.jpg

post-9299-13911924740977_thumb.jpg

Yes, I painted two of the new plastics already. Kinda hard since they were already super-glued. So it was more of a practice run. The demo team had pre- washed them in their respective suit colors.

It was a lot of fun, and would love to play anyone interested!

Edited by Doctor Lucky

Hi folks,

Just a little offer. If anyone fancies a game via skype messenging later on today (I'll be around in 3 or 4 hours time, which will be approx 14:30 in the UK... until late), or the same sort of time tomorrow, or any time on Monday (again, Monday defined by UK time) then ping me a pm or a post on here.

As you may be able to tell, I'm writing a report at home this weekend, and it's very very dull.

Yeah it's real easy, and I already did on the first page :)

Here it is more clearly:

Abrv. Master's Name, Letter of the Board from left ot right, Number from closest to you to other side, action, turn end.

I.E. SA3 to SB4, MINE!, end.

If you are Lady J,

LA3 to LB4, MINE!, end.

You letter the board from your left to your right. Your opponent from his left to his right. To discern it, you use the master's initial.

Then you number the board from closest to you, towards your opponent.

It helps to double check placement at the end of round 5.

It gets really easy when fighting.

IE.. Rotten Belle attacks Punk Zombie. Dodge?.....Flipping 2......10 masks, 4 crows, hit!

Edited by Doctor Lucky

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Once again I find myself with a wall of work and no interesting windows to peer out of. So if anyone fancies a game via skype messenger in the next week, give me a shout (by which I mean a pm... I guess you could try giving me a shout, but unless you're within a few hundred meters of me, I doubt I'll hear).

I'm available pretty much any UK evening (which is vaguely afternoon for anyone in the US) except Wednesday, and I should be around any time at the weekend, except perhaps a period of time on Sunday which is yet to be defined.

Anyway, long story short, give me a shout if you fancy a game. If you don't have time to play a game all in one go (they can take a little longer than usual over messenger), it's perfectly possible to play a game over a few days, and just make a move when you have time (as long as you have somewhere to keep the board/cards etc in place, without them being eaten by the cat).

cheers

sssk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I was a bit bored, and thought I’d just give a more thorough example of playing puppet wars over the internet. First up here’s the codes for spaces on the board. In this case I’ve put seamus against Lady J (so the codes are S... from the seamus player’s perspective, and L... from the lady j player’s perspective).

Puppetwars_zps4329ff8e.png

When playing through an activation just follow this list of stuff, and all should be fine:

1) Say what you’re doing with your activation card

2) Say what the activation card is.

3) First player says who is activating, where they’re activating from, and what they’re doing (basically do this all in one go, until you get to something which requires cards).

4) When you get to anything which involves cards, state what you’re doing, and how many cards you’re flipping etc. If this requires the opponent to interact (eg dodging), give them the opportunity to do so.

5) Say what the cards you’ve flipped are (and any you’ve played from your hand).

6) Work out the outcome of the event.

7) Do the next thing (be that another ability, some more moving, or “end of activation”).

So here’s a little example of what a game might look like in a messenger window (against a guy called Harold). It’s absolute bare bones (so doesn’t have any hilarious banter etc), and I’ve made it so that you can see how some different types of interactions work (hence most of the moves are a bit silly in actual game terms). I’ve taken a photo at the end of each activation (at the bottom), I’ll apologise now A) for the unpainted models, and B) for the rubbish lighting. It’s map 1 in the pattern book. Hopefully it makes sense.

Sssk: Turn 1, activation 1, activation flip

Harold: playing

Sssk: Playing from hand

Harold: 4 rams

Sssk: Drew 4 masks, playing 8 masks

Harold: Seamus activates from SF3, moves to SE4, and “run” to SE5. End of activation.

Sssk: Ronin activates from LF3 and sprints to LE5. End of activation.

Harold: Turn 1, activation 2, activation flip.

Sssk: playing

Harold: Playing 11 Masks.

Sssk: 13 masks.

Harold: Re-activating Seamus (Seamus takes a rip). Seamus moves from SE5 to SF6. Casts “taking advantage”.

Harold: flipped 2 masks. Cheat in 7 crows.

Harold: Seamus attacks ronin (ronin can’t dodge due to hide and seek).

Harold: Flipping 1 card

Harold: Flipped 6 tomes, cheating in 13 rams (tomes + 13). Ronin torn apart. End of activation.

Sssk: Judge activates from LF3, moves to LE4, “run” to LE5. End of activation.

Harold: Turn 1, activation 3.

Sssk: Playing from hand

Harold: Playing

Sssk: Flipped 3 crows, playing 9 masks.

Harold: 9 masks – flip off.

Sssk: Ace of rams followed by 6.

Harold: 11 rams.

Harold: activating punk zombie from SF3. Moves to SD3, “run” to SC3. End of activation.

Sssk: Judge re-activates (Judge takes a rip). Cast “Pins and Needles” on Seamus. Flipped 2 rams, playing 11 masks from hand.

Sssk: attack number 1, dodging?

Harold: Playing 3 tomes.

Sssk: flipping 3.

Sssk: 4 rams, 13 tomes, 6 tomes (Seamus takes a rip)

Sssk: attack number 2, dodging?

Harold: Playing 13 rams

Sssk: Flipping 3.

Sssk: 2 crows, 7 tomes, ace of crows followed by 8 crows (no damage). Judge moves to LE3. End of activation.

Activations_zps65a97992.png

If anyone has any questions on how anything works, give me a shout. If anyone wants to test out how it works, give me a shout, I’m always happy to play some games.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

So Doctor Lucky and I have another international game set for tomorrow, which will be our first foray into playing the unstitched rules. As the doctor seems to be quite a seamus fan, and I'm quite a lady j fan (though I prefer good ol' Marcus) I figured I'd make a lady j toybox (though doctor L, if you fancy giving lady j a go, I'll happily take a spin with either seamus or vic).

Lady J

Judge

Misaki

Death marshall

Austringer

Executioner

Malifaux cherub (!?!?!?!?!?)

Nurse

Ronin

Hopefully we can make some kind of mini report out of it (like the other one in this thread) and then I'll put some thoughts on unstitched in the appropriate thread. If anyone else wants to give the new rules a spin, get in touch.

Should be good