The Dreamer - Master of Dreams - Starting Soulstone Pool

Tiaden

Question

Since I want to start playing the Dreamer now I read his rules and tried to understand the errata. But what I didn't found was a clarification on the rule Master of Dreams.

Master of Dreams adds additional Soulstones to your Soulstone Pool at the Start of the Encounter. In the Rules Manual page 72 it is stated that only the "Starting Soulstone Pool" is limited and after the encounter has begun there is no Limit anymore.

Is the "Start of the Encounter" now later or at the same time than "... after the Encounter begins ..." which frees the Soulstone Pool from its limit? From reading the rules I would say so and this would enable the Dreamer to have 13 Soulstones in his Pool after the encounter started. [edit: Assuming a scrap. In brawls of course its 15]

Don't know at the moment if this is good, I'm just not sure if this is a possibilty.

Edited by Tiaden

11 answers to this question

The Dreamers ability, ill assume its the one you are stating above, states in the rule that it is 1 stone per nightmare, upto a maximum of 5. It is added to your cache for the start of the game, and you can not exceed the limit of 8 before the game starts.

I would agree with you Ozz and would never have posted this question if the Ability "Master of Dreams" would increase the "soulstone cache" of the master, or if it would happen before the start of the game.

But the ability adds Soulstones to the "Soulstone Pool". It has no influence on the Soulstone Cache of the Dreamer, that one remains 0. And it is not before but at the start of the encounter.

I'm just confused because there is no encounter start phase. The only hint when this phase is happening is under "8. Deploy Crews" on page 73 of the rules manual. The last bold sentence end with ".. and start the Encounter."

From mere grammatic point of view is 'when it begins' and 'at the start' practically the same and there is no key word like 'immediately' that indicates what happens first. The removal of the soulsone limit in the soulstone pool or the Ability "Master of Dreams".

Thats why I'm inclinged to read the rules as everything that happens simultaneously that the controller of the model chooses the order in which those things are executed.

Well at least till someone has a clear rules expression that I overlooked (Thats why I made this thread), or someone comes with the big errata hammer and authority to change what is written.

I have to say i had never checked it that closely, which i guess explains how you came to the 13 SS max total. I shall then just say, that i am fairly certain (but cant be 100% as i didn't help to write the rules) that it is just 8 at the most that you can have, but keep this thread alive until after the gencon business has calmed down and try to get a RM to stamp this thread with an Official answer :)

Thanks Ratty. Is this official errata, or did I miss something? Till now my card and book state start of encounter and not after hiring/purchasing crew.

I'm sorry I don't want to be annoying. I just want to be clear I understand the written rules correctly and if I missed something I may have missed more that I can find by myself.

I'm sorry for unburrying this thread again.

I really would like to know if this is now officially erratad that the soulstones are added after crew hiring and not at the start of the encounter as card and book say. Because if this is the case then I'd like to apply for adding this to the summary thread (Resolved Issues). That way other players would find it more easily. And it would be clear that this is errata.

Or if I misread/overlooked something because this would really help me understand the written rules better and I may be able to solve the next question by myself.

If there is still some internal discussion ongoing I don't mind waiting for an answer but in that case I would like to ask to be told I should wait for an answer.

Its just if someone asks me about this and I have to say that there is no way of finding this in the rules book or errata/faq/clarification pages and its only the way it is because a rules marshal posted something in a thread that is somewhere between page 50 and 100 in the forum that doesn't leave a good impression of the Malifaux rules when I discuss them with my friends. And I'd like Malifaux to make a good impression.

Bump again.

I'm sorry if I've chosen the wrong words somewhere. English is not my mother tongue. I hope I didn't chose words with the wrong connotation. I really didn't wanted to sound disrespectfull.

But after 20 days of not getting a reply I have the feeling I made something wrong.

Maybe someone can help me out?

Did Ratty used his power as rules marshal to post an official errata of the dreamer rules? Because what he posted obviously contradicts to what is written in the book and on the card.

Or did I miss something in the book, on the card or in the errata/clarififaction/model/faq pdfs/thread that explains why what ratty posted is correct?

Or is anyone as confused as I am?