24 hour challenge

Ricter

So, I am attending GenCon in 24 hours, and due to a strange set of circumstances, am looking to try to play Malifaux there (I know most of the events are filled, but I'm hoping to sub in). At worst, this will give me a good excuse to paint some models.

I'm a fairly experienced minis player, but have limited Malifaux experience. I don't mind trying trial by fire learning for more complicated Masters if I get pointers of where to go in the right direction.

Another catch - if I can manage two lists, I'm bringing a list for a friend.

With the following models, what two lists would you suggest me running with? Do tournaments tend to allow model selection AFTER the mission has been determined?

The Guild:

Lady Justice

The Judge

Death Marshals x3

Perdita

Nino

Papa Loco

Santiago

Francisco

The Executioner

Outcasts:

Leveticus

Hollow Waif

Rusty Alyce

Steampunk Abominations x4

Killjoy

Ressurectionists:

Kirai

Ikiryo

Datsue-Ba

Seishin

Onryo x2

Miss Pack x2

Seamus's entire box

Arcanists:

Colette

Cassandra

Performers and Mannequins x4

Ramos

Steamborg: Executioner Class

Steampunk Arachnid Swarms x2

Joss

Brass Arachnid

Electrical Creation x2

Sabertooth Cerebrus

December Acolyte

Marcus Beastmaster

Neverborn:

Waid Geist

Silurid x3

Pandora's Entire box

If it was for what to paint, i would say all guild, but you dont have enough for two guild crews at "standard" game sizes (35 ss), although i have no idea what size games are being used there.

Guild is an easy to learn faction with what you have.

And perhaps if your friend is using your stuff as well, the neverborn. not an easy learning curve, but it seems like the most effective set of models you have to run as one crew there to me.

And as Guy in Suit said, it is likely you get to pick your master (from a set faction) and crew each game rather than running a fixed list.

All Malifaux games - including all the GenCon events AFAIK - select crews after the scenario ('strategy') is determined - so your premise is a bit off.

Are you asking what you should try and paint in the next 24 hours?

Yes, that's part of it. I realized that's how they worked, and I apologize if I was unclear. My question was, given that, what faction would cover my important bases (i.e., what set of models would give me the tools to handle each strategy that I may generate reasonable well). Does that make more sense?

Well, if you're gonna run Kirai, you need Shikome and Gaki. And probably a Desperate Merc if you want a really competitive build.

For the Arcanists, at a minimum you need the Coryphee Duet and Doves to fill out Colette's crew. For Ramos, first of all, the Electrical Creation is Unique, so you only need 1 of those (don't worry, lots of people make that mistake). Then for him I would look at stuff like Mobile Toolkit, his Avatar, Large Steampunk Arachnids, Soulstone Miner, and Rusty Alyce. Maybe more Arachnids/Swarms too, unless the ones you already have are magnetized.

If you haven't checked it out already, go look at pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com. That's the Malifaux Wiki, and there's lots of good info over there.

For Pandora the good models are:

Stitched together (up to three of these)

Insidious Madness Never figured out these models but i have three and like how they look so who cares :) But they cause lots of WP duels with Pandora who i don't use much, so they are good with her.

both cause wp duels for their attacks which pandora loves

Doppelganger can be fun.

Primordial magic (imo the card is great and getting first turn moves from casting dementia on yourself is great)

Lelu & Lilitu as well they are Lelu and Lilitu and are just very good at what they do.

That would do for a relatively open selection for Pandora, and give you a start into Zoraida if you wanted.

Guild:

Witchling Stalkers are great, magic weapons and their 0 action can be a pain, and when they die next to an enemy, it is good for you as well, there are only ever good results from a duel against them in mele :)

Perhaps an Austringer or two, to cover the board with some ranged damage, it isnt high for the guild but it makes people worry a little about what they are doing.

Peacekeeper is potentially a good Distraction from people trying to kill Lady J, and it is a fast model so good for catching objectives if you really need it to. And if it does not die, it hits like a truck im told :)

Watchers, great objective grabbers, very fast. Removes cover for your non hunter ranged models, and if it has nothing to do it can let you look at cards and put them at the bottom if they suck :) Its all good for a 3SS significant model.

Enslaved Nephilim for Perdita is good to have.

A list of models for you to look at that are useful for the three masters in guild/neverborn

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 AM ----------

List building for pandora is difficult for me,as i dont know her that well, and your selection is small so i will not comment on what may be good for you.

Perdita 8 Stones

Nino

Santiago

Executioner

2x Death Marshal

Possibly swap a death marshal and a SS for Francisco as i love the guy :)

Lady J 5 stones

Santiago

Judge

Executioner

Francisco

Death marshal x2

Papa Loco is a fun one to have carry the treasure, due to it is dangerous for anyone to run at him and kill him to make him drop it, unless you have a push for him.

I tend to use guild for damage and only do objective things in the first turn and the last turns assuming things have gone well, unless i end up near them, or it takes a long time to get the points for it. So i cant say what these lists are good at bar killing stuff, if you keep them alive to get into range :)

But it is all i have at this time of night for you unfortunately.