Self-targeting

Grifonetto

Question

Maybe the confusion comes from one of the FAQ's answer that has nothing to do with the issue about targeting yourself with an attack but it can be mixed together easily.

From the FAQ:

Spells are not Abilities (RM p18) so in regards of Decay or Transposition this answer is irrelevant.

The key to those - as some of you already quoted - is in the RM on page 18. The last sentence of the Attacks section says:

In Decay's description you can read: Friendly Undead...

Meanwhile in Lilith's Transposition you can't find any Friendly reference. Of course the spell can be cast on (other) Friendly models but in question of self-targeting this is irrelevant. You need to have the words of direct reference in the description of the spell to be able to cast it on yourself.

That's why Lilith can't do it and that's why Nico can. (And not just with the blasts but with direct targeting too.)

Edit:

And to answer the original question: yes, you have to flip when you target yourself but in case of Resist flips you can choose to tie the total and therefore lose the duel without cheating.

I think the the statement about Friendlies is just to explain what happens when they are hit. I'm not sure it is meant to give permission for Nicodem to target himself.

RAW makes that the case, but as it is the only spell in the game I can think of that does this, i'm not sure it was intended.

Any input from RMs would help, as this really makes a difference to Nico's game.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Meanwhile in Lilith's Transposition you can't find any Friendly reference. Of course the spell can be cast on (other) Friendly models but in question of self-targeting this is irrelevant. You need to have the words of direct reference in the description of the spell to be able to cast it on yourself.

Of course, otherwise any spell that just says 'target model' could be cast on the caster themselves.

The only difference between Lilith's Target 2 Models and other spell's Target model is the addition of a number and a plural.

P.18 says "...attack's description states that it affects friendly models". The description is not required to say targets friendly models. Since Decay has a blurb about affecting friendly models, RAW Nicodem can target himself. Until we hear anything else on it, that is a strong argument for how it works.