Model Idea: Samael Hopkins (Henchman) - BOOK 3 FLUFF SPOILERS

LupusFerreus

Hi guys, I'm a Guild/Lilith player with Malifaux and although I've been playing a little while I've really gotten involved with it. I've read all the books and one thing that has grasped me is the fluff. The story has convinced me to get some masters and not some (I'm looking at you Ramos, you selfish man!). At the end of Book 3 I was really excited at the prospect of using Samael Hopkins as a Henchman. I feel bad about dropping him for Nino all the time!

Well, even though this may be made completely redundant by Book 4 if it does make Samael a Henchman (who know my dreams might come true), I've just written a very rushed notes down. I'm listing them below, in the hopes that intelligent debate and discussion from more experienced players than myself can make this a viable model for playtesting. Also maybe put it onto the Card Creator for a beta as I lack the programme/a decent computer to do it myself.

Anyways, onto the stuff:

Samael Hopkins, Temporary Head of Anti-Arcane Division

Stats

Henchman 2 He's not much of a magic user. I'm not sure whether or not to have this as 2 or 3

Wk/Cg - 4/6

Ht - 2

Wp - 6

Ca - 5:rams

Df - 4

Wd - 9

Colt .46

Rg - 12

Cb - 7

Dg - 3/4/5

A bit improved for his status and training to be better than the guy who may have doomed Malifaux (whoops!), it also synergies with his nice new ammo ability below.

Runed Blade

Rg - :melee2

Cb - 3:rams

Dg - 2/3/4

My idea for this is that Samael has the weapon taken from Sonnia at the end of Book 3, in the hopes that he might find her and atone for his mistake. The thing is, he's used to his Huntin' Tools so he's not very good with it.

Special Forces: Arcane Trackers (the following models gain Arcane Tracker characteristic when hired by this model: Witchling Stalker, Witchling Handler, Guild Guard, Guild Guard Captain, Hunter Construct. This model may take the Arcane or Brutal Effigy as a Totem without a Special Forces overlap - unsure on that last sentence)

Abilities

Arcane Hunter: This model receives +2 Ca and inflicts +1 Dg when attacking models with Ca 6 or more.

Hunter

Scout

Magic Resistant 1

Weapon, Runed Blade: Magical. Gain :+fate on Strikes targeting models with Ca 6 or more. Models wounded by this weapon cannot cast spells until the End Close Phase.

Weapons

Colt .46: Special Ammo. At the start of this model's activation, it may choose one of the following effects for each Strike made with this weapon

- Flaming Ammo: +2 Dg

- Frozen Ammo: models wounded by Ranged Strikes receive Slow

- Venomous Ammo: Poison 1

- Paralytic Ammo: enables Stun trigger

Something to give him some definite ranged punch and versatility. For this I removed his Rapid Fire ability, otherwise he would definitely be OP!

Actions

(0) Call [Witchling]: :pulse6. Friendly models with the associated type may Push 4" towards this model

A combat contingency to help him out, or just move things on the board a bit more. Putting him into synergy with his Special Forces models.

(0) Disrupt Magic: :aura6. As his normal stat card. Again, Witchling Stalker synergy.

Triggers

Cb(:rams) Critical Strike: Colt .46. Does not stack with Flaming Ammo.

Cb (:rams Absorb Magic: After hitting defender with a Runed Blade Strike, defender must discard 1 Control Card for each :rams in this model's final attack total. This model draws 1 Control Card and heals 1 wound.

Cb (:rams:crows) Stun: Models wounded by this Strike receive Paralyzed.

Spells

(1) Arrest (CC:10:crows/Rst:Wp/Rg:12) as his normal stat card)

(1) Magical Shot (CC:12 :rams:tomes/Rst: - / Rg:C) This spell cannot be used if using Special Ammo. Immediately make a ranged Strike against a target at -2Cb and -2Rg. This Strike does not require LoS. Something to make the player consider using Special Ammo or not.

(1) Dispel Magic. As the Witchling Stalker's stat card.

(1) Bullet Time. (CC: :rams:masks/Rst: -/Rg:C) Enemy Attack and Damage Flips receive :-fate until the End Closing Phase.

Not sure whether to have this or :-fate:-fate to Attack Flips. A bit of Matrix-y fun to the model to show off his increased shooting skills.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phew! That was a long one, I hope you managed to stick around and can now contribute your thoughts. I do have an idea for him to have an ability to place traps at the beginning of the Encounter, perhaps that can be a Scheme if this all gets fleshed out.

Hopefully this will be discussed more then "omg he OP" or "wtf he rubbish", as I'd quite like to try something down my local club. Hopefully this will be something like the interesting Nekima Henchwoman thread in the Neverborn area.

Just a few more notes:

- I decided not to make him have Gunfighter for one simple reason - he has a huge sword on his back! If he's in combat, he might not be able to move around so lithely to shoot.

- I'm very unsure on his Special Forces. I'm not sure if he'd need an additional model or if what I've proposed is decent.

Anyways, commence discussion!

Hmm.. what's his ss cost? 8-10 ss would be alright I guess.

As for Special Forces, I like it. But I'd like to have Arcane Tracker models (if possible) or maybe another rule that prohibits hiring models that are Ca 6 and above.

Would there be a restriction for hiring the Hopkins Henchman with a Sonnia Criid crew?

Perhaps a Sonnia crew can hire the Arcan Tracker Hopkins only if the crew does not include an avatar..

Hmm. Okay, so what's his play style like? I suggest you add a few abilities that give a distinctive play style to the rest of his crew when he's leading.

I have one suggestion: A rune sword that he'll never use is maybe not the best way to do it. Maybe make it as good as Sonnia Criid's version, but include an Ability: "How Do I Use This? This model must burn one Soulstone to use its Rune Blade for the round."

His play style is sort of a mid-range shooter, softening up opponents before Stalkers and Handlers go in, or outright blowing them away. Essentially what he used to be able to do is enhanced and he is going to have more synergy with Stalkers. I toyed with the idea of an ability like Ramos', where he can force "detonations" on Witchling Stalkers with low wounds but unlike Sonnia it can only be used on Stalkers and doesn't summon a new one. Possibly it could make their Immolating Demise do Dg 3 instead of 2. What do you think?

Also, I'm wondering if he should have Ranged Expert as most Henchmen (I think) have a 1+ of some kind.

As for the sword, I think burning a soulstone with his potentially low cache means that it would be very, very unpopular to be used by players. Perhaps giving him Cb 4 with it and having his Cb go down by 1 for each successive Runed Blade strike a turn would be better?

Hmm.. the Use Soulstone or Cb 4 (and lower) may be great avenues to say that he's not really a swordsman.

How about just have a negative flip on attacks and damage flips if he uses on 1 AP.

He can FOCUS and then get the positive attack and damage flips...

basically making he melee attack a 2 AP action.

My vote is for Range Expert or Fast/Nimble.

As for the Stalker bombs, perhaps a hybrid of Papa Loco's Take Ya With Me and Flame Wall. So the Spell only targets friendly Witchling Stalkers - target model is Sacrificed triggering Immolating Demise 6" pulse, Dg 3 and place 1 50mm marker within 1" of sacrificed model. This spell can be called - "Die In A Fire!"