New to malifaux, Som'er looks cool

Slim

Hey all,

Im new to malifaux and wanted to play with Som'er, read all the thread out there that I can and had some questions. Loads of people say Som'er is the Goblin spawning machine, but by the looks of his stats it looks like it would be hard to constitanly produce more goblins is it that hard or am I looking at it wrong?

I pretty much have one of most of the goblins and wanted to know if anyone can give me some ideas for some list to try that would be good to start with, pig heavy, goblin shooting line, a mixture etc.

I want to make Som'er competitive and bet everyone at my local club lol any little tips and hint would be great an very handy lol

Thanks all.

Welcome to Malifaux, Slim.

My first advice to you is the same as to any new player - have a gander at the pullmyfinger wiki. In your case, you'll want Som'er's page. On it you can find a lot of advice and links to other important Gremlin models.

Oh, if you want to make Som'er competitive, I highly recommend mosquitoes. I hate teh little bastards, but I can't deny they're bloody efficient.

With Somer, it really depends on what kind of list and what points size you're playing at. At 25 or lower for the gunline, you might be better off running Ophelia then adding Somer in later.

Both Pig heavy and gun heavy are worthy choices, but I can speak better about the latter. Most importantly, what kind of list do you like the look of? We can then figure out some lists from there.

Dumb Luck is a large (and pretty knowledgeable) proponent of the Gremlin Gunline, where as I am a loud proponent of the Pig Boomerang tactic.

I contributed a lot to the Pullmyfinger tactica for Some'r and the Pig Bommerang as well as the Pig ladders (I still owe Karn a few more pig-specific articles). I love to talk about the Big Boss so feel free to ask any questions you'd like about him (and I am sure Dumb Luck would love to chime in as well).

He is a great Master (and yes the Skeeters are a very large part of all of his builds) and fairly competitive in most situations (even without the more detestable shenanigans).

Edited by Omenbringer

Thanks everyone, I am very interested in pig boomerang and I'm guessing that the ladder is mixed with the gun line so as I am playing on Friday I want to try the pog boomerang so I guess wat would be a good 35 SS crew to show everyone how great som'er is lol

Thanks everyone, I am very interested in pig boomerang and I'm guessing that the ladder is mixed with the gun line so as I am playing on Friday I want to try the pog boomerang so I guess wat would be a good 35 SS crew to show everyone how great som'er is lol

Probably a bit late but:

Outcasts Crew - 35 - Scrap

Som'er Teeth Jones
--
4 Pool

2 Giant Mosquitos [4ss]

• Bayou Gremlin
    [2ss]

• Bayou Gremlin
    [2ss]

• Hog Whisperer
    [5ss]

• Piglet
    [3ss]

• Piglet
    [3ss]

• Piglet
    [3ss]

• Piglet
    [3ss]

• McTavish
    [6ss]

This is a good balanced list that favors the Pig Boomerang early (striking at targets deep and softening them up) and a transition to either a Gremlin Gunline or Alpha Stank mid to late game.

When playing Some'r you should always take at least a Skeeter, a Bayou Gremlin and a Piglet (7 SS). I like to double it to 2 of each and then add in 1-2 support models to help (not Ophelia, reason below).

Skeeters are great for helping manage Some'rs activations and evening the odds so to speak against other crews (each may cast 1 spell via Magical Extension and either apply damage without a resist, deplete the opponents control hand, or guide the pigs where you want them). Bayou's are required for Get your Bro! and are good cheap significant models with great manueverability so should always be hired (even in a pig heavy list). Piglets assist with the Bayou's movement, have great threat range and give a way for the little guys to deal with morale duels (failing them is usually a good thing since they wont fall back and it will trigger stampede).

Limit your support models or you'll end up with "Menoth Syndrome" and the force really wont work well consistently for you.

The Hog Whisperer is almost required for pig lists. After that though it really depends on what you are trying to do, I like the Gremlin Taxidermists as his Pig Bombs can really mess with your opponent (timing is everything with this) and he allows you to attempt to recycle fallen models (and when playing gremlins there will be a lot of them). Dont count on the Taxidermist summoning hordes of Stuffed Piglets in game (even with cheating he is not a great summoner).

In contrast to Dumb Luck, I am not a big fan of the Slop Hauler as I really think he is over rated (except perhaps when running a pure Pig List and a defensive Strategy and Scheme). As I recall though Dumb Luck does have better luck with them than I do.

And of course this brings us to Ophelia. She is to expensive in a Some'r crew (she is a SS junkie and should be thought of as a 12-14 SS model since she will probably want a Young Lacroix to boss around as well). She does nothing for Pigs so favors a Gunline (you wont have enough points for a list that can also support pigs effectively so they should be left out in favor of more Bayou's) and if you are running a gunline anyway then she is better at it without Some'r (though it is possible to run an effective gunline without her in a Some'r crew).

Hope that helps.

A good trick to keep at least a few Skeeters on high wunds is to bring a Rat to be the first target of Larva.

I wouldn't say I have better luck with Slops, so much as I tend to play my Gremlins quite defensively. Even when using them to drop Df on things, you;re relying on them coming to you.

Never though of taking just the one Young 'un with her ...

I'm wondering about the Taxidermists. I'd think you'd automatically want to bring two, as they're a big fat target. Can you run a viable 'splodey pig force? I haven't seen it as a standard choice, but I keep thinking there's something there to exploit ...

'course, what do I know, I haven't even played the game yet, just been trying to figure out how to make the models work ...

I'm wondering about the Taxidermists. I'd think you'd automatically want to bring two, as they're a big fat target.

Expensive as well, this is 12 SS and doesn't really do anything for the Some'r crew besides allowing him to hire Stuffed Piglets. The problem with hiring 2 is that it will reduce the ammount of other things you can bring (I know duh, right?) without giving you more options and be very, very telegraphed. Also you still can't have more than 5 Stuffed Piglets in play at any one time due to their Critical Mass rule.

Additionally, the Taxidermist is actually pretty durable on his own (especially when you include good positioning of Stuffed Piglets to introduce a negative aspect to killing or damaging the old boy).

Can you run a viable 'splodey pig force? I haven't seen it as a standard choice, but I keep thinking there's something there to exploit ...

Short answer is yes you can (I call this the Bacon Bombing Run tactic and have explained it previously in this thread here).

Long answer, you will need to have other tactics to fall back on (since the Exploding pigs is far from consistent) and a very good head for positioning. Skeeters and regular Piglets are great for supporting this (you could also use the Pigapult for this though I am not a big fan of it because it will usually leave the Taxidermist out of range for the really devious part besides the Stuffed Piglets have plenty of threat range on their own).

I would still recommend bringing a fairly balanced list so you can increase your odds of out activating most opponents (without using the infinite Skeeter loophole) and transition to another tactic afterword, something similar to this:

Outcasts Crew - 35 - Scrap

Som'er Teeth Jones
--
4 Pool

2 Giant Mosquitos [4ss]

• Bayou Gremlin
    [2ss]

• Bayou Gremlin
    [2ss]

• Bayou Gremlin
    [2ss]

• Bayou Gremlin
    [2ss]

• Gremlin Taxidermist
    [6ss]

• Stuffed Piglet
    [3ss]

• Stuffed Piglet
    [3ss]

• Slop Hauler
    [4ss]

• Piglet
    [3ss]

This list will allow you to build a fairly robust Gunline (The Slop Hauler performing most of the Healing Duties so Some'r can really work the Summon Factory) and provide good movement/ positioning for the Bacon Bombing run. Additionally, this will also give you quite a few corpse counters to perform Taxidermin' on later.

Turn sequence should be Some'r, the Slop Hauler and the Bayou Gremlins (building the gunline), then the Skeeters for positioning of the Piglet/ Stuffed Piglets. This will give you 8 activations before the Bacon Bombing run with the Stuffed Piglets and the Taxidermist. The piglet should go right before the Taxidermist and deliver him into position via a pig ladder before being turned into another Stuffed Piglet.

This is very difficult to counter since a lot of crews wont have activations left when the target is finally identified.

Just remember that positioning is everything with this tactic as all the stuffed piglets will need to be within 1" of the target to guaranty damage (regardless of suit flipped) and the Taxidermist needs to end up within 12" of all the Stuffed Piglets.

Though the jury is still out on whether this tactic can actually be used to counter the respawning shenanigans of Hamelin and to a lesser extent Leveticus (I definately think that it can) there is the potential for as you call it exploitation (the thread referenced above lays out how this can be used on any model).

One last note on the above, the Bayou Gremlins can also be used as fodder for Some'r to summon more Piglets (via the Come and Get It! trigger) for the Taxidermist to convert into more Stuffed Piglets (without having to worry about failing to cast).

'course, what do I know, I haven't even played the game yet, just been trying to figure out how to make the models work ...

Seems to me that you have a good eye...

If you think of him as just that then yes he is a bit overcosted, however he can also help with the Boomerang (he does have Sooey!), guarantees the dropping of Corpse Counters (for use by the War Pig) and recycle models (even only achieving Success 1 offsets half his cost).

Because of him I have started fielding the War Pig again (3 Corpse Counters can provide 3 Stuffed Piglets) and of course he can take away some of the bite of the Resurrectionists by using up those Corpse Counters they need.

Just to add on this, I've fairly late to the Somer party but have been running him as my main master for the past couple of months and (with thanks to the guys commenting on here and Spiku) finding him insanely powerful. Normally when I'm learning a crew a get beaten up quite badly by our local players (I'm lucky to have a couple of top ranked players in my club) whilst I learn, but so far I'm undefeated - and that's with just "trying stuff out". I really think Somer could actually be the most OP Master in the game, time will tell as I'll be entering my first tournament with him in 6 weeks time :)

One thing I've learnt though is don't be shy about standing on the shoulders of giants - there's a handful of people on here who've come up with some brilliant ideas and you should copy them mercilessly. Just be sure to give credit back to them when you do *wink*

Well if anyone can break him it'll be Magicpockets! Really though a lot of his bite is attributable to a few open loopholes that will hopefully be closed in the next revision (when ever that may be). For me though he doesn't really need them at all to be competitive (and on par with most of the Masters/Crews in the game) and I haven't used them because of it.

Edited by Omenbringer

You know what else will net you three Stuffed Pigs via corpse counters?

Three Bayou Gremlins, which are two points cheaper than a Warpig.

True but The Warpig can benefit from the rest of the Pig Support models I usually take anyway, where as the Bayou Gremlins can't (at least until Some'r turns them into Piglets or they are killed and turned into Stuffed Piglets). Bayou Gremlins also can't be used to block LOS to less desirable models when the piglets stampede. Additionally, when the Warpig is killed it drops those 3 corpse counters in a nice little pile where as the three Bayou Gremlins may or may not.

A Flying Stampeding Warpig "bomber" is a beautiful thing.

It isn't an always thing mind you, but the Taxidermist definately improves their viability.

Cool. I'm definitely going to need to ponder some of this. I've got an event I may be attending coming up, and I'd like to play with Som'er Teeth. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll start up a new one ...

And thanks for the reminder about Von Schill and no hand. My darling husband picked up Von Schill as his box, of course, not that either of us knew the complete mis-match between the two sets at the time. It always happens that way ... he automatically picks the Space Marines and I automatically pick the force that requires the most models. (;