Wyrd not at Origins?

puggimer

I was a bit saddened to see that there are no Malifaux events being run at Origins. While not as big as GenCon (and the scheduling this year sucks), I would still have hoped they would be there. I know I had heard about the game last year and wanted to demo it at Origins, but they weren't there (thus I didn't pick it up until Christmas).

Neither is GenCon, but Wyrd is there. Origins does have some mini events - Warhammer Fantasy, 40K and War Machine / Hordes are all there. WizKids used to be a huge sponsor before they imploded - I'm interested in seeing how they come back. Even as much as it has shrunk from a few years ago, I think it is still the second largest gaming convention in the US.

I got into miniature games 10 years ago because of all the cool minis I used to see at Origins, I finally decided I just had to start playing some of those games.

While Adepticon (my first time there this past weekend) was cool, it was much more of a set of co-located tournaments than a convention.

Even if Wyrd can't justify a booth there because of the economy, it is still a shame that someone isn't running at least some demo events or a tournament there.

Is it not local henchmen that would organize and run events at most conventions? If you want a tournament there you should look to your local henchman to get the ball rolling. If someone wanted to run an event at such a large convention they might even be able to get sponsorship or other support from Wyrd.

And those are all put on by volunteers there - those aren't official folks dropping in to run those. If there was a henchman that wanted to run something local there, we would by all means happily support them.

As for comparing Origins to Gencon, not even remotely in the same scale. Despite that, we are co-sponsors for the Paint and Take, painting contests, etc. We support the convention, we just don't have an official presence and won't unless the venue and folks that come to it drastically swing in another direction as its not cost effective in the least otherwise.

Is it not local henchmen that would organize and run events at most conventions? If you want a tournament there you should look to your local henchman to get the ball rolling. If someone wanted to run an event at such a large convention they might even be able to get sponsorship or other support from Wyrd.

You also don't need to be a Henchman to run an event. If you would like to see events there you can get it started yourself as well. That doesn't even mean you can't play in the event. Honestly tournament judges are the easiest thing to figure out for an event and an organizer does not have to be one. What an organizer does need to do is work with the con to get events setup, secure terrain and figure out prize support.

Its probably not to late to get something going for Origins this year. If you want to hear some advice/rambing on large event organization drop me a PM and I can give you an earful.

we play all the time at Epic Loot just about and hour and a half from there.

If you would like to play some Malifaux that weekend just let me know and I am sure we can set up some kind of tournament and have a blast for lots and lots less of a cost.

think there is a cake tourney this weekend!!!