Stocking, balance, and what to buy next questions...

marshimartian

So my LGS is opening a new location on Friday and I'm trying to get the owner to push Malifaux a little more. We're setting up a "Getting Started" display with the two player starters for all the game systems, and we're going to homebrew our own 2-player Malifaux starters, at a discount of course.

What we have:

Lady J vs Seamus

Sonnia vs Raspy

Perdita vs Lilith

So first question is, how balanced is Sonnia vs Raspy box sets? I like the idea of Fire vs Ice, and the minion exploding should be hilarious.

Second question is, I want to include a list of suggested additional purchases, and I want some advice. So far I have:

Lady J:

Exorcist

Lucius?

Seamus:

Copycat Killer or Grave Spirit

Dead Doxies

Clam of Belles

Molly

Sonnia:

Witchling Handler

Rasputina:

Essence of Power

Silent One

Snow Storm

Hoarcat Pride

Perdita:

Abuela Ortega

Enslaved Nephilim

Lilith:

Young Nephilim

Primordial Magic

Tuco

Lelu/Lilitu

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

And if anyone is in the area, be sure to check out the new space, it's Huge! We have 8 dedicated miniature tables (4x8) so far, with at least 5 more to come. That's space for 16 Malifaux boards! (32 Players!)

Neverland Games: Lost Boys Hideout

69 W Main St

Waynesboro, PA 17268

No idea on how Sonnia plays, but I get a lot of Rasputina in my group. Can't help you on that part but your list looks pretty good. If you are going to get henchmen for some of the box set, might as well get one for each box set. If a player gets both, they have a pretty good starting crew. Getting the totems for each master is a pretty good idea also.

Lady J, Exorcist is good, but over a henchman (lucius) i would say go for a ranged model, it has different rules still to the rest of her crew but still not complicated, using henchmen for people to start is adding (imo) to many rules to their crew, so i personally would say to let them get them once they know the game. Also maybe a totem for her, Scales or student, as being able to cast her buff spells (assuming they are 1 spells) on her minions after she is gone i could see being very helpful.

Seamus list, on molly same as i just said, on the rest, very thematic, but not used the doxies so not to sure on them, but assuming you recommend the box sets, i dont see a real need for 6 belles myself.

For Perdita maybe Granny (the last family member) and a mele model like the executioner.

For the other 3 i have nothing i can think of to add, but take what i say with a grain of salt as i have never run an intro game so it is just from what i have read here, and what i think of it all:)

'Tina vs. Sonnia should make for some fun matches.

Far as starter + blister/2 blisters goes, I've tried to find a balance between thematic and powerful:

Lady J: Watcher, Scales of Justice, Exorcist

Seamus: Night Terrors, Grave Spirit, Dead Doxies

Sonnia: Witchling Handler, Watcher, Stalkers

Rasputina: Silent One, Essence of Power, Snow Storm

Perdita: Enslaved Nephilim, Executioner, Judge, maybe a Death Marshals pack

Lilith: Young Nephilim, Primordial Magic/Malifaux Cherub, Tuco, or Lelu/Lilitu are all good. I'd start with the Young and one of the totems, though.

Also maybe a totem for her, Scales or student, as being able to cast her buff spells (assuming they are 1 spells) on her minions after she is gone i could see being very helpful.

Don't totems die with their masters?

I haven't played Sonnia vs Rasputina, but it seems like it would be a rough game for all concerned, especially that one turn where they get into a big scrum and set off a massive explosion of cold fire. It's mutually assured destruction.

I think it's interesting how strongly you're pushing the Guild, but it's not necessarily a bad idea. They're quite straightforward, and a nice intro to the game - but you'll end up with a lot of Guild players around the club.

As far as crew expansion, I was going to write out a big list off the top of my head, but honestly the best resource is the PullMyFinger wiki (http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com). It gives plenty of advice on starting and building the various Masters' crews, as well as tactics and suggested demo-game matchups (they suggest Lady J vs Seamus, Perdita vs Lilith, and Von Schill vs Ophelia).

Best of luck!

Don't totems die with their masters?
Sorry, poor phrasing there on my part, i meant once she has run off with her part of the crew, the rest are left out of range of Lady J's buffs (or other masters but specifically her) and so a totem to hand around with the other group is i would say a good idea, ofc once Lady J is dead, the totem does go poof as you said:)