Dispel Magic - Can I use dispel magic on friendly targets?

dunce002917

Question

This is the situation:

Sam Hopkins was paralyzed by Ramos' spider. I still have 2 Witchling Stalkers to active and Sam has not activated during this turn (but paralyze forfeits his activation).

Now, can I use the Wtichling Stalkers to cast Dispel Magic on Sam Hopkins (assuming I get to target Sam Hopkins - he's in melee after all)? Second, can Sam pass on the Resist: Df flip? third, if Sam is a legal target and the Witchling Stalker successfully cast Dispel Magic, does this remove paralyze on Sam Hopkins?

For extra credit: Does Dispel Magic remove Poison tokens on my friendly models.

Please give me an answer because I have a spider and shikome infestation to deal with...

Edited by dunce002917

5 answers to this question

There is no problem with a Witchling Stalker targeting Hopkins with Dispel Magic, and Paralysed can be removed by the spell like any other effect.

He would make a resistance flip on a successful cast as normal, however, after establishing dual totals you can have him reduce the difference in the dual totals to 0 because he is a friendly model (So he just fails to resist).

After Paralyzed is dispelled from Hopkins he can activate as normal that turn

As for the extra credit, I know you can't dispel counters from models, and I am almost 100% sure you can't dispel tokens.

Hope that helps.

Edited by vitriol

There is no problem with a Witchling Stalker targeting Hopkins with Dispel Magic, and Paralysed can be removed by the spell like any other effect.

He would make a resistance flip on a successful cast as normal, however, after establishing dual totals you can have him reduce the difference in the dual totals to 0 because he is a friendly model (So he just fails to resist).

As for the extra credit, I know you can't dispel counters from models, and I am almost 100% sure you can't dispel tokens.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! will keep this in mind the next time I face Ramos and his darn spiders...

Hope that helps.

You've almost got it all. A single token can be removed via Dispel Magic. So if you had Poison 2 you would still have Poison 1 after casting Dispel Magic. The Witchling Handler card has the correct (post Rules Manual) wording for Dispel Magic.

(assuming the get to target Sam Hopkins - he's in melee after all).

Also, unless the spell has the :ranged icon in its range, (which Dispel Magic doesn't) as long as you have LoS you can target Sam normally even while in melee, no randomizing. The Witchling could also be in melee and cast the spell out of melee into another melee that Sam is in or any other situation you could think of. It's only the :ranged that makes targeting problematic.

Edited by dgraz

Also, unless the spell has the :ranged icon in its range, (which Dispel Magic doesn't) as long as you have LoS you can target Sam normally even while in melee, no randomizing. The Witchling could also be in melee and cast the spell out of melee into another melee that Sam is in or any other situation you could think of. It's only the :ranged that makes targeting problematic.

cool, thanks for the tip!