GF9 vs. Steel Music Wire

Iron Heel

If the "steel music wire" you have is similar to guitar strings (All the wires I looked up to double check what you were talking about were similar) then, yes I have. Yes, it worked out pretty well. If I remember correctly the GF9 Heavy Cutters are just electricians snips. (Can't remember if my roommate had GF9 heavy or light cutters, but it could snip the ends off my guitar strings easliy.)

Honestly, I don't know if SMW is akin to guitar strings.

It is used for pinning because it is MUCH stronger and harder to bend than brass rod. Clippers that I had that would snip brass rod & paper clips with ease merely end up with a circular chip from SMW. I found a very large pair of hardened clippers that do the trick, but I would like some smaller ones.

You can find SMW at hobby shops that specialize in RC cars and whatnot; I am not sure how it is used in that hobby.

GF 9 replied to my email: they don't know if it will cut or not.

Music wire can be a lot harder than guitar strings, leaving the dents in regular clippers, Like Ironheel describes. I've used the Xuron wire clippers for this stuff and they work great. Not sure what you would use SMW for with most miniatures, as it's probably overkill for most needs.

Dave

I'd just use wire cutters from the hardware store. They'll destroy anything I've cut, short of 3/16" steel wire, and will mash straight through guitar string, and if they can't cut, they just won't: they won't get mangled in the process (unless you're doing it really wrong, I guess).

OR alternatively you could just buy a bunch of cheap-o sets! Then you would have tons of wire-cutters for cutting all sorts of stuff. Damage one? Grab the next!

OR alternatively you could just buy a bunch of cheap-o sets! Then you would have tons of wire-cutters for cutting all sorts of stuff. Damage one? Grab the next!

You can get perfectly good ones for, like, $5, and I've had my oldest pair for close to 15 years (have occasionally misplaced them, etc. and gotten spares)... Not sure why you'd want to cheap out when they're not much to begin with.

I was just joking around. I actually got my pair for cheap, like 5 bucks as well. I'm the kind of person always looking for a deal. So when I see decent clippers on sale for $5, jeweler's files for $3.50, or painting palates for 99 cents... I jump on all those deals. I'm also the guy you see walking around every store for 2 hours looking at everything to see if there is anything good for modeling or painting. As much as I love my LGS sometimes it's worth it to go other places and take a peek.

I use the side cutters on my pair of hardened parallel pliers to cut spring steel safety pins for pinning for over a decade. Occasionally, when a very small pin is needed, I use very small brass safety pins. I get a chuckle out of hobby cutters warping trying to cut anything harder than brass.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/300695571301

I agree with Tombanjo, brass rod is good enough for most situations. Also, it's quicker and easier to work with. I feel like I end up cleaning the cut ends up more often with the music wire, and its a harder material so... it's harder.

Don't risk ruining the GF9 clippers, get something more appropriate from the hardware store.

People say they are super strong, but I doubt they are that strong. You can find some pretty small side cutters that will work on music wire. It has less to do with size and more the hardness/shape of the cutting edges. I've got a pair that came in a plier/clipper set from Harbor Freight. Super cheap (5 piece set for about $5), but they're tiny and they work.

I've used music wire for other hobbies and there may be some miniatures or gametable type situations where it could be useful. If that's the case I would heartily recommend this little widget. makes a nice clean edge, even better than hardened side cutters and hasn't met wire it couldn't easily slice through. http://www.xuron.com/industrial/shears_profiles/2193.htm

Dave

Tools vary wildly in regard to quality, utility and price. I like Harbor Freight Tools for "discount" tools, and Ace Hardware, for discount sometimes and quality mostly. All the hardware stores typically do very well with SERVICE!!!!! you can find an expert who will usually make an excellent reccomendation. If they don't have it, they can often order it for you, sans shipping fee.

Memory Wire cutters are found in bead/jewelry supply/hobby stores. Places like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Memory wire cutters are designed to cut super-hard-tempered memory wire used to make necklaces and bracelets. It will make a clean "flush" cut on music wire up to 18 guage.