Sue and the Nurse

nublet

Question

Hi, I was wondering if I could get a link to an official thread or a ruling on Sue's ability to "shrug off" the automatic death effects from a nurse's buffs (sorry, can't remember the name and don't have the models yet). I got two different opinions from two henchmen during last night's league. Thanks in advance

Edited by nublet

7 answers to this question

I don't hink there is an official thread on this, but CrouchingMoose has it right. I do this often with Sue or McTavish. ON their second activation where they already started activating there second activation, I shrug it off the effect. to avoid any argument I usually leave the (0) until last. I don't believe its right, but your opponent can argue that your activation ends when you shrug it off since you lost the reactivate.

I guess the issue one of the henchmen had was that he viewed the effect as the buff and the death as the cost (that can't be removed). If I'm understanding correctly they're both considered one effect? Don't know the names but let me see if what I'm thinking is ok:

1. Nurse give Sue reactivate and no death

2. Obey Sue a few times (with Zoraida and a totem) up the field into a bunch of junk to tie it up

3. Sue activates the first time (hopefully at the end of both peoples' activations) and moves if needed and uses his little AoE or shoots

4. At the end of the first activation he shrugs off the can't die buff and one death effect

5. Sue activates a second time and kills some stuff

6 He shugs off the second death effect at the end of the second activation

After all of this hopefully he would be in position the next tun to get the melee combat buff with gunfighter and a bunch of tied up models along with 2 activation (if I could get the nurse into place)

---------- Post added at 08:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

I guess the list I'm thinking for a 30 SS game is:

Zoraida + totem

Ophelia + Primordial Magic

Sue + Nurse

Stitched together

For a 35 ss game drop stitched and add in Candy or a Doppleganger and a couple SS

Edited by nublet

Sue could only remove the reactivate or the no death with a single shrug off. The death effects are a part of the buffs, so to remove the death effect, you have to remove to cooresponding buff.

In the instance you provided, after sue activates for the first time( with both active), he can remove die at the end of this activation and lose reactivate but this would keep the no death on him and he would die at the end of the turn without getting to reactivate, or he can remove no death, but he will be sacrificed at the end of his current (first) actuvation before benefiting from reactivate.

The key to remenber here is that killed and sacrificed are different. While sue cant be killed, he can still be sacrificed

What most people do with sue is activate sue and use hurt for 3 cards and move or something else then have the nurse activate and heal sue and give him reactivate. Activate sue again, do more and shrug off the reactivate as his last action

I think nublet had it right. To clarify:

1. Nurse casts Painkillers and Speed on Sue.

2. time passes, Sue cannot be killed.

3. Sue activates, does stuff, Shrugs Off Painkillers.

4. Sue reactivates, does stuff, Shrugs Off Speed.

Seems perfectly legal to me.

Sue could only remove the reactivate or the no death with a single shrug off. The death effects are a part of the buffs, so to remove the death effect, you have to remove to cooresponding buff.

The Massive Dose: Speed is one effect, which include the reactivate and the auto-death. So Sue can Shrug off the entire effect. Now if he does it after he reactivates is what makes it beneficial.