Whats needed?

Norgak

I have been looking at picking up puppet wars. Since i have to order and get it by mail. I was wondering how important are the xpacs for the game? Is the game by itself jsut fine, Or should i look at getting the xpacs? Also if i do is there certain ones which are better? Any advice on the game would be great.

You don't need to have the Pawn and Multi player boosters to really enjoy the game (it is fine by iteslf and will provide loads of play). With that said I do recommend picking up the Multi-player booster as it will give the most bang for the expansion buck. It gives you new Puppet Masters and Side Kicks, which will definately provide more options (by either expanding the game to 4 players or just allowing more options in Army composition). Other than that I can't really recommend 1 Pawn Booster over any other (though if pressed Pawn Booster 2 is probably be the most universal). If the budget allows however I do recommend picking up all the Boosters though.

Edited by Omenbringer

How a many people do you plan on playing in with?

The box comes with enough to playa game with two people and all the things you will need (cards, the board, the rules, 18 models, tokens, etc...)

This provides enough possibilities for plenty of replay for two people.

The next box I would get is the multiplayer expansion, since it provides 2 additional puppet masters and 4 more sidekicks, potentially opening the game up to four players. With these two boxes you do not have enough for a full four player game (since the basic game is a master and 8 puppets, but you would have enough for a smaller master and four puppet game,in other words you could make it work for four), but like Omenbringer said, it defininatly opens up the options for a two player game.

After that, it is kind of up to you. The pawns boxes come with additional pawns, some of which are found in the starter set. I think there are three new ones in each set, so it really is a preference thing.

Edited by Hugor

After that, it is kind of up to you. The pawns boxes come with additional pawns, some of which are found in the starter set. I think there are three new ones in each set, so it really is a preference thing.

Each Pawn Booster does come with "New" Puppets that aren't contained in the base game.

Each Pawn Booster does come with "New" Puppets that aren't contained in the base game.

Sorry, see how that could be misunderstood, what I meant was...

Each one has three or four "new" puppets (puppets not in the main box set). Pawns 1 has (Juju, Moleman, Witchling Stalker, Sorrows), pawns 2 (guild hound, mature Nephilim, Guild autopsy, zombie chihuahua), and pawns 3 (piglet, ice golem, hog whisperer).

So, you get some new things in each box, and some doubles. But, doubles are defiantly useful.

Each one has three or four "new" puppets (puppets not in the main box set). Pawns 1 has (Juju, Moleman, Witchling Stalker, Sorrows), pawns 2 (guild hound, mature Nephilim, Guild autopsy, zombie chihuahua), and pawns 3 (piglet, ice golem, hog whisperer).

So, you get some new things in each box, and some doubles. But, doubles are defiantly useful.

Forgot about the Bayou Gremlin in Booster 1, but other than that you got everything. And definately agree that doubles are a good thing.

Honestly if I were to say there is a "base set" it would be this.

I really do believe that one of each of these makes for the best possible into into puppet wars, not too much that things can be meta games over too powerfull before people get ahang of things, but yet enough to build 5 seperate factions instead of 2, this is where it counts.

Even if you plan on only playing with 2 people say you and your brother, it can get frustrating or tiring trying to battle the same two suggested armies in the started set against eachother.

Where as if you are swappng between crows, rams, masks, tombs AND mercenaries...things NEVER seem the same or get old, you dont feel like you lost to the same 2 puppet combos again and you had the same thing each time to fight back. You can change it up every time.

I personally use the random army creator on http://www.puppet-wars.com/ to make my lists for my friends so they feel its fair and I cant just meta some cheeze up :P You have to see your list pop up and create synergy just off how well you know the puppets from the entire game.

I usually set it to at least 4 puppets from inside base faction to make it more fluid and to obey the fluff somewhat :)

Cheers!

• Puppet Wars Board Game
    Includes supplies for 2 players (game board, figures, tokens, 2 Puppet Decks)

• Multiplayer Expansion
    Pandora, Marcus, Kade, Sebastian, Nino, Joss, Tokens (more Masters and Sidekicks for 1 or 2 additional players)

• Pawns 1 Booster Box
    Executioner, Witchling, Rotten Belle, Moleman, Bad Juju, Sorrow, Bayou Gremlin, Ronin

• Pawns 2 Booster Box
    Death Marshal, Guild Hound, Guild Autopsy, Zombie Chihuahua, Razorspine Rattler, Cherub, Mature Nephilim, Gunslinger

• Pawns 3 Booster Box
    Austringer, Nurse, Punk Zombie, Ice Golem, December Acolyte, Silurid, Hog Whisperer, Piglet

How did you get doubles of the Bayou Gremlin, he wasn't in the base game (and more importantly why didn't I know that you were trading Gremlins?)?

Was trading to get gremlins, I have two now (kind of want another), so it must have been one I bought or traded for at some point when there was more trading and buying of puppets going on in the forum. But forgot I got it that way, so assumed it must have been in the base set. Who knows?