Newb help please: Sonnia Criid

the junkie

Hello everyone,

I just got into Malifaux by picking up Sonia Criid, crew + some. I have a couple questions.

1) Wall of Flame: Place 2 templates touching one another at least 1" away from any model. Any model touching the marker immediately takes damage. Then those models would take damage if they are touching it at the start of any action.

So how can they immediately take damage if I have to place the template 1" away from any model?

Thank you!

-- Model/ Tactics Question--

Her totem seems to just be around for another Wall of Flame since VoM is too costly, and Flame Burst would require a lot of Soulstone spending. What are your thoughts and tricks with her and it?

Thank you, again.

If you have some sort of Push ability (like lure, obey, knockback etc) you can push people into the walls. That said, they're more often used as a sort of blocking as opposed to actually hurting stuff. Avatar Sonnia on the other hand can push her pillars (well, technically Pyres) onto models. As opposed to Rasputinas walls, models can move through them, but on the other hand they both take damage, and the walls can't be destroyed (until end of turn, of course).

Regarding her totem...Yeah, not that worth it, from what I can tell. I've heard of people using its ranged ability to bring it down to 1 wound and then Violate it to a stalker but it seems like a pretty situational thing. Hard to plan for, if nothing else.

Hope it helps!

Regarding her totem...Yeah, not that worth it, from what I can tell. I've heard of people using its ranged ability to bring it down to 1 wound and then Violate it to a stalker but it seems like a pretty situational thing. Hard to plan for, if nothing else.

I agree. If you're looking for Witchling fodder I'd rather spend 2 points on a Desperate Merc.

Plus, if you're planning on manifesting aSonnia then the totem is going poof.

Welcome to Malifaux, Junkie, and welcome to the Guild!

You picked a great faction and a great master! But there is a learning curve, as with all Malifaux masters.

1) Flame Wall. While it is true that this does do damage to those entering it, it's hard to make that happen. I've used a Peacekeeper before to "toss" (attack trigger that pushes a model after you hit it) things into the fire, but really that's very tricky to do. Instead focus on the fact that the Flame Wall is Ht 5 obscurring terrain. That means two things. First, it means that other models can't see your models through it. So with Sonnia, you can literally put down a wall that blocks LoS to help protect her slowly advancing crew. Second it automatically goes away at the end of the turn - so models the next turn will activate with clear shots (and paths) forward.

2) I don't know anyone that uses Sonnia's specific totem. For the same 2 points, you can run a Governor's Proxy which buffs your crew's WP passively, is a threat for the opponent to kill, can cast Sonnia's spells just as well (or poorly) and has the very cool Governor's Decree spell. That's if you MUST take a totem - but honestly I find Sonnia does fine without one. The suggestions made by others of using those 2 points for a desperate mercenary are excellent - but read the threads about how to use the Guild's tricks to get more out of desperate mercs.

Hope this helps and welcome!