Easing into Malifaux, the Guild.

Guild Lawyer

First of all, hello. I have just discovered Malifaux, and found it attractive because I like the aesthetic, and unlike some other games I could mention (hack hack cough cough) it does not require a huge sum of money to start, nor days of unit painting - for not excellent painters like me, there is much more incentive in painting up Lucius, a Guild Hound or what have you nicely than yet another Elf, Orc etc, while you can expand to large armies if you want to. Also, Terraclips is frankly inspired, and I like the deck of cards over metric tonnes of D6.

However, I am not here to grumble about other games, so without further ado:

I, obviously want to play the Guild, and have narrowed down exactly what Guild faction to start with to either Lucius (my favourite), the Witch Hunters or the Constructs.

Lucius appears to be rather limited in what he can and cannot take, and be quite hard to play, however, I love the Guild Guard, Lawyer and Lucius himself. Starting with Lucius, any tips? He is my favourite choice, but I wonder if I can play him. Also, no steam robots.

WH appear much easier, and get nice miniatures, and might be more suitable, as they get a wide range of things to choose from, and Lucius could be added as a henchman.

Ditto with Hoffmann -, who I also like as a miniature. I don't know how efficient it is, but I love the idea of guild troops backed up by the steam constructs.

Any general tips for a new Guild player?

Edited by Guild Lawyer

First off - welcome. :)

Generally, guild have high damage output, and our 4ss grunts (guild guard, witchlings, death marshalls) are great for their points.

One of our biggest drawbacks is that we are relatively slow, so I'd advise picking up a couple of watchers or some hounds for objective grabbing.

Personally I enjoy playing sonnia. Turning your opponent's models into witchlings is very satisfying!

I ordered Lucius yesterday, and can't wait to give him a try.

For Lucius advice, you could try listening to this:

http://theaethervox.com/2011/10/09-the-aethervox-i-love-lucius/

It's a podcast episode dedicated to Lucius tactica with Foe Render, a member of these very boards.

Welcome! Its nice to see another guild fan. What id say is that whilst you seem predominantly interested in two of the more difficult masters, I wouldn't let it put you off choosing one of them. If you really like that master you'll learn how to use him quickly anyway. I hope that helps and good luck.

Also, the few malifaux podcasts and the pullmyfinger wiki can be really useful tools in learning.

Thanks all for the welcome. I have played a couple of games, then grabbed the Lucius box set, a Sergeant, another set of Guards, one of Hounds and a Warden proxy (Blight Wheel Minis or something like that, all credit goes to the man who pointed them out) and some conversion and proxy stuff [Credit to whoever it was who had that great Elite Division thread]. After this orgy of spending, I think all these are solid but does anyone have any more expansion tips?

PS: Tacked on an Austringer.

Edited by Guild Lawyer
Specific list of purchases for clarity, another buy (damn my lack of willpower!)

Austringer two on the way....

Lots of tips again, even more thanks.

Incidentally, I am looking for conversions and variety, as Lucius has the danger of looking a tad monotonous - I might expand to a Lady J crew using Lucius-ified miniatures, for which there is an excellent guide elsewhere on the forums, but just canvassing in addition to my own looking about.

Edited by Guild Lawyer