The Pockets Somer Teeth Jones Diary 2012

magicpockets

Why would you be turtling with Avatar Som'er? I always keep a mosquito around (or any other model with Sooey) to have him bouncing around the board. Give peaches the chance and she does incredible amount of damage. In addition, summoning new gremlins when taking a hit and you want Peaches taking Som'er to the front lines. Sooey is a push, so if you don't want to get hit, pull that pig out.

For walking Som'er use Truffles (reverse Sooey) to get him where I want him to be. If you are taking Ophilia have him stare at her assets to move him about the board.

You choose to turtle Som'er, not the other way around.

Edited by Argivian

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most players agree that Somer needs few stones (including me btw). But there is one thing I find hard to manage. How do you deal with tough luck considering starting Hand? He needs 11+ to get a bro and you will have roughly 1 on avarage in your first 5 cards, but you can easily have 0 with a tiny bit of unluck. So you start turn 1 and spend say 2 of your 3 stones to get the Gremlin factory rolling? Or rather sacrifice one with Larva to get a Mosquito and 2 cards and pray for high ones?

Why would you be turtling with Avatar Som'er? I always keep a mosquito around (or any other model with Sooey) to have him bouncing around the board. Give peaches the chance and she does incredible amount of damage. In addition, summoning new gremlins when taking a hit and you want Peaches taking Som'er to the front lines. Sooey is a push, so if you don't want to get hit, pull that pig out.

For walking Som'er use Truffles (reverse Sooey) to get him where I want him to be. If you are taking Ophilia have him stare at her assets to move him about the board.

You choose to turtle Som'er, not the other way around.

Two reasons to turtle with ASomer. Firstly, all of his best abilities are crew buffs. Companion (Gremlin), Reckless Frenzy, Shine Pig.

Secondly, he can deal damage. But Cb5 does not make a combat tank. The liklihood is you'll end up wasting a hand on 'Atta Girl triggers, leaving him wide open to counter attack.

ASomer is best hid behind a wall of Gremlins, giving them all Fast.

Most players agree that Somer needs few stones (including me btw). But there is one thing I find hard to manage. How do you deal with tough luck considering starting Hand? He needs 11+ to get a bro and you will have roughly 1 on avarage in your first 5 cards, but you can easily have 0 with a tiny bit of unluck. So you start turn 1 and spend say 2 of your 3 stones to get the Gremlin factory rolling? Or rather sacrifice one with Larva to get a Mosquito and 2 cards and pray for high ones?

One I'm still new at Somer but my gut would be take the full 8ss with him then if you need to use one for git yer bro you can - paying 1ss is still better than buying one for 2ss?

Two reasons to turtle with ASomer. Firstly, all of his best abilities are crew buffs. Companion (Gremlin), Reckless Frenzy, Shine Pig.

Secondly, he can deal damage. But Cb5 does not make a combat tank. The liklihood is you'll end up wasting a hand on 'Atta Girl triggers, leaving him wide open to counter attack.

ASomer is best hid behind a wall of Gremlins, giving them all Fast.

Definately agree with this one, Avatar Some'r is not survivable or great at killing on his own. He prefers to "hide" behind his crew buffing them so they can weaken key models and he can ride in and deliver the Coup de Grace (usually with any fear of retaliation thanks to out activations and push effects returning him to safety). For the most part you still turtle with Avatar Some'r until you are ready to deliver him via Sooey! or pig ladders or Ophelia (which I wouldn't take if planning to manifest Avatar Some'r due to her points cost).

One I'm still new at Somer but my gut would be take the full 8ss with him then if you need to use one for git yer bro you can - paying 1ss is still better than buying one for 2ss?

Yes paying 1 SS is better than 2 but you also have to remember that he can only summon a max of 3 per turn (if going full tilt with Get your Bro) which will result in 6 Bayou Gremlins that are at 2 Wd's each. Additionally, this is only possible if you start with 3 Bayou Gremlins in the first place (each will be able to fuel a casting). To do this again next turn you will have to heal 3 of them which means either hiring a Slop Hauler or Some'r himself passing around the Hooch. At this point you have 18 of your hiring SS pool (6 for Bayou Gremlins + 4 for the Slop Hauler + 8 for starting Cache) tied up in just trying to bring out 3 reduced price Gremlins (that are Slow and at half Wds). Though you can get away without the Slop Hauler if Somer does all the healing it will greatly slow the summoning factory since he has to spend every other turn healing his fuel for Get your Bro.

The factory is great for adding some extra muscle in game but isn't really a sustainable plan over the course of a typical game (you'll need to have a back up for sure). My best advice for success would be to include a small Pig Squadron and Hog Whisperer to harass your opponent deep while Some'r tries to build the gunline and 1-2 Skeeters to transition to the Alpha Stank once your Gunline begins to falter.

Okay, will update with detail tomorrow but just played a 35ss vs LadyJ with Turf War, exterminate living and Thwart (I took the schemes for a laugh. I had to kill his entire crew to win). I ran Somer, 1x skeeter, 2x piglets, rami, Raphael, 2x boys, 2x rats and won 8-0.

Somer is very very naughty...

• 4 weeks later...

Holy thread revival Batman!

Okay, quickly dropped into the forum to say hi and update a few threads - really gutted I'm not getting time to play much Malifaux at the minute.

That said, I have got a few Somer game in recently and have to say I'm loving it, although my opponents are almost certainly not. I've got a fairly good grip of the basics now (and now taken the pigapult out for a run!) so going to start experimenting with Pig Boomerangs etc to try and gain some finesse in how I play him.

One question I wanted to ask - which Masters does Somer have most difficulty with and why? I'm playing a fairly limited meta at the minute, so be good to know what I need to plan for/get my head around

Obviously his crew has trouble with Hamelin, but Som'er has ways to get around the no targeting and stuff. It's hard for me to really pin point a bad match up, as his best spells don't require resists (it is quite ridiculous!) and can be a real pain for anyone against him. I think before book 2 there were a few bad ones, but with the options available to him now he is a very solid opponent for anyone.

As Cornelius says above, there really aren't that many bad matchups for Some'r that can't be gotten around. With that said Hamelin and Leveticus provide pretty tough matchups that will require much stronger play to consistently beat. Pandora, Colette and the Dreamer are also somewhat tough due to the WP duels which Gremlins aren't great at resisting even with Avatar Some'r lending a boost.

Other than that Some'r and the Gremlins dont have a lot of issues.