Tournament Saturday 31st March - Scythe and Teacup Gamer Cafe, Liverpool

Calmdown

I know James is looking forward to seeing how it pans out too. Way better than VP - a win is a win and you shouldnt get a better tourney placing because you 8-0'd a noob compared to 8-7'ing a tough game!

They use it alot in H/WM (Mainly as they don't have VPs) and IMO it's a great way of doing it. Nice to see someone try it :)

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just had to read up on what it was. Interesting idea. I can see a lot of people at the same TP level having the same SoS though.

How does game 2 get matched though?

Where there is a draw in SoS you get randomised.

You dont get a lot of people at same TP having same SoS. That would require all of your opponents to have won exactly the same number of matches.

Probably not an issue as this is a 4 round tournament but I can see that there is a decent chance of a 3 round tournament ending with 2 people on the same TP and SOS.

Yep. But if you use a proper, full SoS (the program I'm using just uses opponents win %) including opponents' opponents' win %, it's very unlikely, even in 3 round.

This is also the reason that most swiss-system tourneys dont simply award the winner to "best standing after last round", too; most swiss tourneys have a top-4 or at least a final game. I'd like to see that more in Malifaux tbh. Watching finals is exciting and I think Malifaux tourneys really lose a lot for not having them.

Yep. But if you use a proper, full SoS (the program I'm using just uses opponents win %) including opponents' opponents' win %, it's very unlikely, even in 3 round.

This is also the reason that most swiss-system tourneys dont simply award the winner to "best standing after last round", too; most swiss tourneys have a top-4 or at least a final game. I'd like to see that more in Malifaux tbh. Watching finals is exciting and I think Malifaux tourneys really lose a lot for not having them.

Ah fair enough. Yeah that would be nice.

Btw, I'm enjoying seeing that 1 in your signature ;-)

I am used to that system from days of playing MtG. It worked fine, although we tended to get 4-5 games in a day, before a top 4 / 8 Play-off. Never seen really noticed how it works in a 3 round tournament, but I assume it did fine, as side events at events (usually drafts,) went 3 rounds without there ever being an issue.

Well I can say I am looking forward to this being my first of many Malifaux tournaments, I'm even planning one of my own in Plymouth!!

Now to choose a master (McMourning or Vikis) and get painting as I'm not doing my 2am on the day painting again!!

Will be good to meet all you "lovely" people

Yep, plenty of spaces.

Now sign up on Facebook too!

https://www.facebook.com/events/194161237355258/

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

I am well lovely its true

Yes you are!

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Gutted, this clashes with a Blood Bowl event I'm committed to. Hope this go's well and you run another

99% sure I'll be running them regularly if the Scythe are up for it!