Spirit Sheath vs Pulse

Csonti

Question

16 answers to this question

Yeah, that was one of the interpretations. The other way of thinking: you suffer damage before you die, Kirai dumps off damage when she would suffer the effect, at this time the Seishin couldn't be killed since it is just getting its share of damage just like Kirai.

Reading the rules I can't fully support either of these.

It has been ruled on before by a RM. I'm being lazy and I don't feel like searching for it, but Magicpockets is correct (as is usually the case.)

If no one else bothers to search, or a RM hasn't chimed in, I may feel more charitable after some coffee.

I have searched for this before puting up a new thread. The best call was this thread where you also happen to mention that "this hase been ruled before" but sadly also without a link. The last post there contains a quote from Ratty's more than one year old post. The problem is that it covers a different scenario with blasts and stuff (and Ratty was not an RM at that time anyway).

So indeed I would need your charitability and search-fu to show me the thread where the mentioned official ruling lies. Thx!

I have searched for this before puting up a new thread. The best call was this thread where you also happen to mention that "this hase been ruled before" but sadly also without a link. The last post there contains a quote from Ratty's more than one year old post. The problem is that it covers a different scenario with blasts and stuff (and Ratty was not an RM at that time anyway).

So indeed I would need your charitability and search-fu to show me the thread where the mentioned official ruling lies. Thx!

Don't worry about your search-fu, I'll respond. ;)

Models caught in a Pulse or Blast are affected by it simultaneously. Kirai couldn't use her Spirit Sheath to dump the damage.

To expand on what Keltheos stated and take this in a slightly different direction... If Collodi were targeted by a blast he would still be able to switch the target to a Marionette correct? I think this would be true since Sheath (if I recall correctly) deals with 'damage' and Collodi's ability is 'target' which would be prior to damage. That sound about right?

To expand on what Keltheos stated and take this in a slightly different direction... If Collodi were targeted by a blast he would still be able to switch the target to a Marionette correct? I think this would be true since Sheath (if I recall correctly) deals with 'damage' and Collodi's ability is 'target' which would be prior to damage. That sound about right?

Incorrect. Pulses do not have targets, therefore their effects cannot be transferred to a marionette.

Hmmm, yep. That totally makes sense. I overlooked the fact that the model that is targeted by a strike with blast damage isn't actually effected by the blast marker(s) since it already had to have been targeted and hit by the strike to get the blasts off in the first place. I retract my question :)

Edited by Vmag

funny thing is, I found a thread from last July and it had the same ruling in it from a RM. What was funny about it was that it was started by Csonti. It was started about rats but the whole "all damage in a blast is simultaneous" thing was cited there.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?22684

I think you misunderstand to point of this thread. It's not about the timing of pulse (or blast) damage. It is simultaneous but that in itself will not answer anything here.

The difference between the linked and this thread is huge. The Seishin's ability kicks in when Kiari would suffer damage while Voracious Rat's activates when the model or the rats around are killed. A very different scenario.

Would like some clarification on the timing of spirit sheath. The wording on the card seems to imply that the effect is transferred before it's begun to resolve, in which case none of the seishin would have taken damage yet.

And this is just what I was talking about. While I'm glad that Kel informed us about how RAI this works, it is still unclear to me what is the logic behind the answer ruleswise.

The Seishin's ability kicks in when Kiari would suffer damage

Spirit sheath doesn't transfer damage, it applies the entire effect of a successful attack to the seishin instead of Kirai. I'd assumed that this meant you elect to spirit sheath after the resist flip but before spell resolution, so I'm confused about what's actually stopping you from using it here.

Spirit sheath doesn't transfer damage, it applies the entire effect of a successful attack to the seishin instead of Kirai. I'd assumed that this meant you elect to spirit sheath after the resist flip but before spell resolution, so I'm confused about what's actually stopping you from using it here.

You wording is more precise but we are talking about the same thing. :) In the example of the original post the entire effect is: Kirai suffers some points of damage. And that effect (suffering damage) can be transfered to a Seishin.

You wording is more precise but we are talking about the same thing. :) In the example of the original post the entire effect is: Kirai suffers some points of damage. And that effect (suffering damage) can be transfered to a Seishin.

What happens when multiple things happen simultaneously? I honestly don't remember.

If the active player chooses the order (because they can't actually happen at the same time), then he could pick all the Seishin to suffer damage first, leaving Kirai with no options to shunt off the damage.

In any event, things are still resolved in an order even when simultaneous. As such, this might give the "backing" to the ruling.