Basic Searing Wave question

Hjelmen

Question

Hi!

I'm a tad confused about this part: "If at least one model lost its resist duel, this model performs a 2/3/4 Damage Flip which cannot be cheated".

Does this mean that all it takes for this spell to damage all enemies in the pulse is for one model to lose the resist duel? If so, then is the damage flip one for each model damaged, or just a single one that damages all affected model the same amount? If it is the latter, then which model is chosen as the "basis" for that damage flip, wrt. modifiers on damage flips, such as Hard to Wound.

Thank you!

9 answers to this question

Ooh, that's an interesting one.

The wording suggests that a single damage flip applies to all models affected - each model that fails its Resist suffers whatever damage was flipped plus 1 per Burning token. The notion of modifiers based on Duel difference, Hard to Wound, etc would not seem to be taken into account in this.

Or, it could mean that each model that fails its Resist takes a 2/3/4 flip +1 per Burning token based on the Duel difference etc - which seems to be the sensible way to handle such a spell, but then why write it in such a weird way?

Nope, your only reading part of the paragraph. Let me try and break it down to clarify.

(0) Searing Wave: (Blah casting requirements) This spell only affects enemy models. If at least one model lost its Resist Duel, this model performs a 2/3/4 Damage Flip which cannot be Cheated. Any model losing its Resist Duel Suffers the flipped damage +1 Dg per Burning Token it has.

So, lets break it down. First:

This spell only affects enemy models.

Right, I measure the effect range and then check how many enemy models are in the area of affect. With that set, the enemy models pick a model and start flipping resist duels.

If at least one model lost its Resist Duel

Enemy models flip resists until the first enemy model fails to resist. When that happens the flipping stops and goes to -> this step.

this model performs a 2/3/4 Damage Flip which cannot be Cheated.

Right, now that the first enemy failed I flip a single neutral damage flip. Once that happens my opponent can go back and complete the resist flips for the rest of the affected models.

Here is the link for clarifying the damage flip is neutral (http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?24298-Avatar-Sonnia-Searing-Wave)

Any model losing its Resist Duel Suffers the flipped damage +1 Dg per Burning Token it has.

Once all models have performed their resist duel we go through and apply the damage from the single Damage Flip +1 Dg per Burning token to all models that failed.

Does that help clarify how it works?

Edited by nix

Just to get it completely straight then: the damage flip is based on the result of the resist duel against the first model that fails to resist, and the result of that damage flip is then the damage that all models that fail to resist take, plus one Wd for each burning counter they have on them.

Is this correct?

And since the damage flip is based on the first model that fails to resist, then all abilities that modify the damage flip is based off the abilities of that model, for example Hard to Wound?

Right, now that the first enemy failed I flip a single damage flip based on the difference between the first model failing to resist and my casting total. Once that happens my opponent can go back and complete the resist flips for the rest of the affected models.

I believe the damage flip happens after all resist flips have been completed (as per the wording, not that it's relevant). Furthermore, I'm fairly certain a Marshal clarified that the damage flip was unmodified (neutral, 1 card and that's it).

I believe the damage flip happens after all resist flips have been completed (as per the wording, not that it's relevant). Furthermore, I'm fairly certain a Marshal clarified that the damage flip was unmodified (neutral, 1 card and that's it).

I think your correct, and whats worse is it was one of my questions. I have been digging through the forum looking for the ruling but have not found it. Corrected above.

Linky: http://www.wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?24298-Avatar-Sonnia-Searing-Wave

Edited by nix

Quick follow up question...The burning token from the Incessant Inferno trigger on Searing Wave would count when you calculate the +1 Dg per burning token correct?

Nope, it adds the burning token after the damage is resolved. Triggers are step 6 of the damage resolution clarification.