ryle and c. hoffman

Nutter1557

Is there an official ruling on this? I've been playing it like it does(don't tell my friends), but the way it's written, it could go either way.

The wording says friendly constructs can ignore listed abilities. Then Ryle's card says he is never considered friendly for the purposes of spells or abilities. Dunno which would take place first or if they cancel each other out.

I play that Maintain Machines does NOT allow Ryle to be friendly. This is NOT the majority opinion on these forums.

Majority opinion is that Maintain machines DOES allow Ryle to be friendly.

The arguments are as follows:

1. Maintain machines works sorta like an aura or pulse reaching out to a range so it is not a targeted ability. As such, Ryle's ability is ignored because it only affects targeted abilities.

2. Ryle is still "targeted" by maintain machines the instant when the Hoffman player elects which abilities to turn off or on. As such, Ryle can't be a target for maintain machines.

1. Is more of a RaW (rules as written) interpretation.

2. Is more of a RaI (rules as intended) interpretation - since it guesses at the intent of Ryle's ability and/or Ryles intended interaction with Hoffman. Keep in mind this is the players GUESSING at the intent. We've never been told the intent of these rules or their interactions from Wyrd officially.

Personally, I have chosen to not use maintain machines to override Ryle because from the fluff in book 3, it seems clear to me that Hoffman can't really control Ryle - or make him do what he wants subconsciously. I guess this would be RfF (rules from fluff).

On the table, this makes Ryle a very situational model for 8 ss. I usually don't take him. I can understand the argument that allowing Hoffman to maintain machines on Ryle makes Ryle a good model for 8 ss.

There, I think I covered all the bases and you're up to speed.

Just to be clear at the end:

Concensus on the forum is that maintain machines works on Ryle.