Through the breach - A tale of three gamers

Balefirestorm

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I thought I'd make a contribute to this thread, I'm supposed to be a co-author after all *wink*. I got a little burnt out from painting my spa's, I just couldn't get that skin tone to match my taste, so took a "little" break from it! But here I am again with my most recent attempt, I call it the "formaldehyde look", the picture ain't that great but it will give you a general idea :) !

C&C are always welcome!

487773_sm-spa%20-%20skin%20tone%20wip.png

Edited by c0un7_z3r0

Well thank's dear friend!

Well, I painted it late last night, had no real plan other than to create this grayish colour with a blue-purpleish tone and just did what seemed apropriate as I painted along. So what I'm trying to say is, I'm not entirely sure ;) .

But It's good you ask because then I get a reason to write it down. I used GW colors only and did something along these lines:

- First stage is a solid layer Deneb Stone mixed with Space Wolf Gray in a.. say 3/1 ration plus a drop of Airbrush Thinner and some good old tap-water (you dont want a blue color at this stage, just a "paler" Deneb and it should be quite thin).

- Then I washed it with Ogryn Flesh which was followed by another wash of watered down Leviathan Purple (maybe 2-ish parts water to 1 part Leviathan).

- At the third stage is I went over all raised areas with the DS/SWG-mix.

- Then, I don't know how to describe it, but I kind of washed the mini in the DS/SWG-mix as well, only small parts at a time and as soon as I applied the "wash" I took a brush to suck up all the paint in the recesses. This is to make smoother transitions from the recesses to the raised areas, but it will also help dulling the warmth of the washes. There might be other ways to do this but I find this way easy and quick.

- And then I actually drybrushed (I seldom use this technique) the skin in the same DS/SWG-mix as well, until I got enough definition on all the raised areas as well as a pale skin tone.

- After the drybrushing I washed the skin in water down Asurmen Blue (1 part wash to 3 parts water, kind of)

- And finally I added more SWG to the DS/SWG-mix and finished with two stages of highlights, with a bit more SWG at every stage.

I don't know if that description made anyone wiser but if anything is unclear I'm happy to fill you in if anyone are interested!

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

I believe I'll stick to this skin-tone, It's quick and somewhat easy and I rather like it. It makes them look dead and lifeless but with an supernatural twist (or so I believe, If anyone have any ideas of improving the skin, by all means drop a message).

But now when I'm thinking about how to paint all their open wounds etc I ask myself "what color will their "blood" be?". I believe Leveticus is somewhat less messy than McMourning so I imagine him emptying his corpses of blood in some orderly manner and then putting them in formaldehyde to prevent them from rotting (which also makes the tissue quite colorless and grayish). Then he can conduct his experiments without rushing them too much. When he reanimates them I imagine Leveticus injecting his creations with some foul liquid of sorts, which has given my SPA's a purple tone.

But what color is this foul liquid? I'm thinking dark purple, almost blue... Anyone got some suggestions? I'd love to hear them!

Edited by c0un7_z3r0

As a Rezzer, I'm gonna comment most on them, although I must say that even though I hate Pandora, gotta hand it to you: awesome work with her crew.

Also, the conversions all around this topic are so cool. The Supply wagon and bases are worth the raising of a hat.

Although, my favorite model by far is the Bete Noire: best looking Bete in a while. All the Resurrectionist minis are awesomely painted. Good work. Like the colour scheme.

Thank you guys for the kind words. I will start today's update with a short guide on how to make the Supply wagon I presented earlier in this thread :)

First of all I made sure to have the right equipment:

489857_sm-Tools%20of%20the%20trade.JPG

From top:

Knife (duh)

Clay shaper (easily found in most hobby shops)

Modelling tool

0.5 mm pen

Metal saw

Super glue

either pipe shaped plasticard, a metal rod or cocktail stick

and balsa wood of the thickness 1-2 mm and 3 mm.

first of all we need to measure the main part of the wagon:

For me this consisted of (4) 4 x 0,5 x 0,1 cm pieces.

I all also cut out two extra to use later.

489851_sm-.JPG

To connect them I used two pieces measuring 2,4 x 0,3 x 03 cm:

489856_sm-.JPG

As "walls" I used the two extra pieces I earlier cut out and glue the along the sides:

489853_sm-.JPG

After that I cut out one piece measuring 2,7 x 0,5 x 0,3 cm and glued it on the front of the wagon:

489854_sm-.JPG

The handles were made according to nr 4 on the picture below and glued in place. The have the measurement 3,5 x 0,5 x 03. 1,5 cm in from either side, make a mark and make a diagonal line to form the proper shape seen in the picture:

489852_sm-.JPG

The metal pieces are made of greenstuff put into place and shaped into squares. To make the nails, just use the 0.5 mm pen and gently push the empty casing into the gs.

The plasticard pipe/cocktail stick should be glued into place and greenstuff modeled to make sure it looks secured to the wagon chassis.

The clay shaper and the saw can be used to create lines in the soft wood. Just be careful using the saw as it might damage the wood if press too hard.

As said, just a short guide ;)

Edited by Balefirestorm
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome shtuffs. :D

Do tell me which colors you used for your Burt's jeans. Mine will end up being grey, but still I like the blue jeans a whole lot. :0

I started of with GW's Shadow Grey and added a mixed wash of Asurman blue and Agrax earthshade. After that I started off the highlights with Shadow grey mixed with Vallejo's Stonewall grey. Each extra layer with more stonewall. Finally a few splashes of Agrax earthshade on the knees and other places. Turned out better than I hoped for :)

Quick question, do you mix the washes or are you putting them one on top of the other after it dries.

I mix them before applying them. This is mainly due to the blue wash being very.... bluey? and dampens the cold of the blue wash somewhat as well.

See if I can provide better pictures during the weekend. There's also a rumour going round that Francois will be wearing a malifools wristband.

Man those Gremlins sure do look good. Both are so characterful it is difficult to choose a favorite.

Thank you for the kind words.

Here's some new pictures of (maybe) better quality. Hope you'll like them. Noticed that I have to revisit Burt's barrel though, so it will be updated. After this I'm aiming at Ophelia and Raphael.

495078_sm-Francois%20Lacroix%20done.jpg

495077_sm-Burt%20Jebsen%20done.jpg

• Like 1