UK Malifaux Masters Invitational - OFFICIAL THREAD - January 2012

Neverata

Apologies if I insult anyone in the following post, but it's just a bit of fun!

Here's my 'odds' for the Masters...;

21) Steve Pretlove - Is 2012 the Return of the Steve? Has he really been in hiding preparing for the masters since his last tournament in June like the rumours say? Steve currently sits at 21st in the rankings, but only has 2 tournaments to his name, as opposed to everyone else's three. If Steve's managed to remember how to use his Collette crew, as well as remembering what all the other crews do, he could be a real dark horse.

14-1 to win, 7-1 to make the top 4.

19th) Jimmy Balderstone - As much as I'd love to take credit for Jimmy's success, what with being the henchman for Stockport and all, he probably knows the rules better than me. It'll be interesting to see which 3 lists Jimmy brings, with both his new found Neverborn and his trustworthy Collette crews at his disposal, he'll have alot of toys, and he's a good enough player to cause an upset or two, but much like everyone else from Stockport, we don't see very much variation in crews.

18-1 to win. 8-1 to make the final 4.

18) Rob Owens. I've managed to play Rob's Guild in the last couple tournaments I've been to and managed the better luck out of the two of us recently so if we play I'm sure he'll get the better of me. It'll be interesting to see the 3 lists Rob brings, but I'm unsure how he'll get on against the 'uber-filth' lists we'll undoubtedly see.

16-1 to win. 9-1 to make the top 4.

17) Ian Brocklebank. As well as being a great Bloke, Ian knows how to use Viks. Very well. It'll be interesting to see the 3 lists he brings as I'm unsure what else Ian has in his arsenal, but I think the Viks will struggle against the power lists out there, especially in a couple scenarios. I would hate to play vs Ian, knowing that he owes me a beating or two. He's also the highest ranked outcast player at the event, having used them all year.

16-1 to win. 8-1 to make top 4.

16) Tim Brown. Filth. Ginger filth. If Timmy brings the filth lists I expect off him, and his first round opponent really uses what he says he's using, he'll get off to a flying start. Add onto it that Timmy knows how to use his favoured LCB, the rulespack (IMO) favours masters like LCB and I reckon Timmy's got a great chance at the top 4 if things go his way. And according to RankingsHQ he plays Flames of War in the US. Ace.

14-1 to win. 6-1 to make top 4.

14) Mike Taylor. Mike scares me. Last time me and him played he was so close to beating me and is the best I've seen anyone play with Seamus. With both Neverborn and Ressers at Mike's disposal he could put down 3 formidable lists and know how to use them all.

15-1 to win. 13-2 to make top 4

13) David Brown. Big scary Dave. With Guild. Dave's had 2 poor(ish) results as his last 2 results at tournaments, but fixed list is good for guild, and Dave's due a run of good form surely? One of the players I've not had the pleasure of playing, but I'm afraid I can't see much room for guild in the top 4.

16-1 to win. 8-1 to make top 4.

12) Justin Plimmer. 2 Great results in the latter half of the year with neverborn pushed Justin right up the Rankings. Add onto that that he has ressers buried somewhere and again, these 2 factions added together could make a formidable set of lists. I've got Justin round 1, and I have literally no idea what sort of list he'll run, and in all honesty, I'm worried. If Justin goes with LCB I think he'll have a good shot at the top 4, courtesy of some of the strats and the fact he's a good player.

13-1 to win. 11-2 to make the top 4.

9) Mitch Harrison. The worse of the gingers. If Timmy and Mitch play, the game could go on for hours and still be a draw. Mitch knows how to use guild, and with the 3 list format I reckon he'll be pretty confident. He's revealed some sneaky plans to not use 3 guild lists however so it'll be interesting to see how much his inexperience with his new lists costs him compared how much using his new toys gains him. He'll be comfortable with his guild and do well, but those couple games outside his comfort zone will make it or break it for him.

11-1 to win. 5-1 to make top 4.

8) Ashley Pinder. Another player making a long overdue comeback, and it's good to see him making his return. If Ash has managed to remember how to use Collette on his break, as well as keeping up with the meta and learning how to play slightly quicker ( ;) ) he's the one I most fear with Arcanists. If he can find 3 different lists he's happy with he's got a great chance at the top 4, especially if he's found a way around LCB with Collette...

11-1 to win. 5-1 to make top 4.

6) Aidan Kirk. Well Aidan/Britney has had a great end to the year, with podiums at the last 2 events of the year (the only one to manage that feat). He's overdue an event win, and if he brings 3 neverborn lists will be well within his comfort zone both within his lists and the strategies. Last 2 events were 3rd, then 2nd, surely it's fate for the 1st place?

6-1 to win. 2-1 to make top 4.

5) Ian O'Brien. Winning his last 2 events of the year before missing the GT has set him up to make it a possible 3 in a row. Being one of the best players with LCB he's got a great chance, add on the strats and the fixed list and Ian has a genuinely brilliant chance at winning this event and would be the one player I would love to dodge for the whole tournament.

4-1 to win. Evens to make top 4.

4) Adam MagicPockets. With 3 different factions at his disposal it'll be intriguing to see what Adam brings, to say the least. He's been bigging up Levi, add onto that at least one Hamelin list and that leaves room for a 2nd Hamelin list or LCB and Adam is bringing a VERY strong arsenal of lists with him, especially if he chooses to leave Levi at home. A very good player, be intriguing to see him against any of the players 2nd-6th in the rankings.

7-1 to win. 5-2 to make top 4.

3) James Doxey. Again, James has alot of lists he can bring, even though the majority of them are Neverborn. If he chooses to dig LCB back out like he did for the GT then he'll be right up there. Expect very few mistakes, but in my opinion for James, it's all about which lists he chooses, and as the top neverborn player, he has plenty of choices. Overdue a podium and a tournament win.

6-1 to win. 3-2 to make top 4.

2) Ant Hoult. The GT winner and the man set to be #1 come February. Ant is on superb form at the minute, having ended my Marcus non-losing streak on Thursday, mastered Kirai, and having his worst tournament finish in the last 12 months at 4th, Ant is the one to watch. I despise playing against Kirai and will expect Ant to bring 3 Kirai lists, meaning I really don't wanna play him. I've never seen Ant play against LCB, which he'll need to at this one if he wants to win, but if he's got a plan for that, he's a shoe in.

3-1 to win. 1-2 to make top 4.

1) Craig Johnson. Meeee. Well, I've played 3 games of malifaux since the GT, one with Molly when I conceded turn 3, one with Marcus which I lost, and one with Marcus which I won. I finally didn't finish on the podium at the GT, and am due some bad match ups. There's a fair few masters I can't stand playing against, and a fair few players which are better than me, all of which I expect in abundance at this tournament so I'm expecting a mid-table finish for myself and an early metaphoric bath. Add onto that that I can't do fixed lists, and have no idea what to take, and I'm in trouble.

16-1 to win. 10-1 to make top 4.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16) Tim Brown. Filth. Ginger filth. If Timmy brings the filth lists I expect off him, and his first round opponent really uses what he says he's using, he'll get off to a flying start. Add onto it that Timmy knows how to use his favoured LCB, the rulespack (IMO) favours masters like LCB and I reckon Timmy's got a great chance at the top 4 if things go his way. And according to RankingsHQ he plays Flames of War in the US. Ace.

14-1 to win. 6-1 to make top 4.

Yes, my ability to be awesome at Flames of War in the US without ever having played the game, or been to the US is all due to being the World's best ninja =p

Personally, I would put my odds lower as I make far too many mistakes. Although I would be happy with a top 10 finish, and I can see that happening if I don't make too many mistakes, and the cards go my way.

My tips for the top 4 include Adam Naisbitt, Ant Holt, Craig Johnson, James Doxey, Ian O'Brian . . . Oh wait, the top 5 . . . surprising . . . But I would certainly put Justim Plimmer and Aidan "Brittney" Kirk up there as well. But obviously, if Steve Pretlove wins then everyone will go home happy, and wondering where the Hell he has been the last 12 months =p

Absolutely brilliant post Craig, loved it. Personally (outside of anyone from my home club) I'd like to see James get a win, although I wouldn't begrudge Ant the title either.

Re my lists, I don't think there's going to be room for Leveticus at this event - I need more time to get him to work, at the minute he just falls over against certain crews - plus I've not had chance to experiment with Hoffman yet :( (Although both may be my crews of choice this year)

So looks like a combination of Neverborn (across Big Z/Collodi, a strategy specific LCB crew or my tried and trusted Pandora crew) and Hamelin.

Taking Craig's lead, here's my personal thoughts on the Masters. Some of it brutally honest fighting talk, but when have I ever minced my words ;)

21) Steve Pretlove - What can I say, Steve is definitely the wild card here, no-one knows what lists he might take (is he really going green??) although I'm not sure how well anyone can do after such a long break from the game (he hasn't even played Malifaux at the club since his retirement). I think the book 3 minions, avatars and the recent rules changes will catch him out.

19th) Jimmy Balderstone - No idea as I don't think we've met, but with both Neverborn and Collette likely I'm taking nothing for granted.

18) Rob Owens - Another player I'm not sure I've met yet, but if he's a Guild player...

17) Ian Brocklebank - I think I've played Ian, although I'm not 100% sure. However, I don't think Viks are up there with the crews I'll be taking so I'm not too worried about this match-up.

16) Tim Brown - First game for me, against a player who I've not beaten in 8 (?) games now and with Shared Slaughter, quite possibly the worst situation for Hamelin to take on LCB and stupid Stitched which don't count as kills. Tim is the SOLE reason I'll be including a Neverborn crew (and likely Avatar) in my three lists.

14) Mike Taylor - Mike is pure awesome, I have nothing but respect for this guy. Best Pandora player I've seen without resorting to my Emotional Trauma crutch and half of the best game of Malifaux I've ever played. I hope to play Mike, and honestly don't mind what direction the game goes in.

13) David Brown - Dave is one of the main reasons Malifaux is so big in the UK, and it's such a shame that the cards don't like him. I'm not a big believer in Guild, but with a bit of luck for a change I think Dave could do quite well with some of his recent lists. And don't let his modesty lull you into a false sense of security, he was 1VP off winning the last Canterbury tournament - and those guys are very, very good!

12) Justin Plimmer - Another player I'm not sure I've played before. However, I've got respect for anyone who plays Ressers competitively, and once again another LCB list I'm not looking forward to playing against.

9) Mitch Harrison - Despite being my go to commission painter I've never played a game against Mitch, and apparently he's very, very good with Guild. However, Hamelin eats Guild...

8) Ashley Pinder - What can I say about Mr Pinder? He's by far the best Collette player I've ever seen, although I know after our practice day this three list thing is testing him. Not looking forward to playing him, mainly as he knows all my Hamelin tricks. Maybe another opponent for my Neverborn instead...

6) Aidan Kirk - Never played him but respect how good he is. One of the few Neverborn players out there who doesn't rely on the LCB crutch to win them games. I'd like to play Aiden as I think it would be a good game (although I have no idea which way it would go). Yes Aiden, you will be wearing my sword like a shish kebab!

5) Ian O'Brien - I don't know Ian other than in passing, nor have I played him. However I've heard he plays crews my 9 year old daughter could win with, so enough said. If I draw him I thoroughly expect to lose, however if he puts a skill-less LCB crew on the table I'll do my best to deny him as many VPs as possible.

4) Adam MagicPockets - one of the nicest and most popular people on the forum, an enthusiastic supporter of rankings and perhaps too reserved in his opinions for his own good. Coming to the Masters for the chance to play some tough and fun games of Malifaux, and will out and out roadblock anyone who plays a crutch LCB list as best as he can.

3) James Doxey - A great player in need of a win who I have a rocky history with. Showed me how Collodi works at the Northampton tournament and tabled me in three turns. Glad to see he's moved away from LCB to my favourite master and I look forward to a game with him, especially as I'm ready for the dolls now... :)

2) Ant Hoult - I think this may be a slight grudge match for Ant given how a single rat cost him first place at the Birmingham Expo tournament. I can't take anything away from how good he is with Kirai, and I'm hand on heart dreading this match-up coming my way.

1) Craig Johnson - cheated his way to two wins over me in major tournaments with the help of the TO fixing the second event for him. In all seriousness, I have wanted this rematch for a LONG time and don't mind if I lose - as long as it's fair and square this time... Oh, and don't fall for the "I'm out of practice and going to lose" routine - Craig does it every tournament and quite usually storms them ;)

---

Re the final four, I really can't call it and I think a lot will just depend on luck over the two days, although I think it will be very NB biased. My gut is that an LCB player will win, although I think there are enough good players using book 2 masters who could give them a run for their money. Plus the swiss system could throw a spanner in the works and get some surprise players into the final.

I'm going to punt the final four as Ashley Pinder, Mike Talyor, Ian O'Brien and Ant Hoult. (I think the swiss draws will claim Craig, James and me)

Overall I expect this to be a brilliant event and am almost as excited as I was in the run up to the first GT. And I'm especially looking forward to getting to play some people who I've never played before - and will be bringing my (unpainted) Levi crew to get some practice in out of hours!

Edited by magicpockets

2 lists in, 14 to go.

Any lists not submitted by Friday will receive a points deduction for the masters. No excuse for them not being in on time after having weeks of notice.

If anyone has any questions regarding crew construction please advise

As per other questions having been asked previously. I'll provide some answers today :D

Hi

Just about to put my lists in so thought I'd give some quick responses.

Only ever played neverborn(LCB) at toy soldier and thought f**k that was boring so knocked him on the head.He'll be back for this(but don't see myself as a good player with him.)

Tried my Mcmourning/Molly list out last night & by 3rd turn me & Gav'mine's a pint'Holly were looking at each thinking what the f**k does she & the crooligans do.So that list is currently being changed.

& last list will be a Hoff varient that I haven't played with yet but I'm sure will sort itself out!!(Even though did get the biggest hammering of my life at GT by Ant with something similar(but blame this on his massive t*ts))

Add to the fact that don't think I've won a game since GT & I've lost my drinking partners & could be hard weekend!

So my top 4 are:

Ant Hoult Basicaly see above

Craig Johnson Think his lists will cause other lists problems.

2 of Aidan,Calmdown & James.Presume all 3 will take top teir lists(mainly from 1 faction)& will come down to the odd flip and main draw here & there!

Cheers

Justin

Well calmdown is getting dumped if he doesn't win. So the ginger ninja (because he is evil) is trying to make sure he doesn't win......although I'm sure I'm not that shallow when it comes to it.....maybe...

Can't wait to see your lists Justin!

Since when was I evil? I'm nice and kind and lovable . . . =D

You came 2nd...what a terrible result.

More by luck than judgement.

That was after the 1st day consisted of being told by people that I was going to win. Talk about pressure.

It was better than I had expected though.

The real nightmare was conceding to young Timothy in the Hardcore.

The format being what it is and the high standard of players I can't see losing a game early on will have the same effect this time.

I'm expecting to just miss out on top 4.

More by luck than judgement.

That was after the 1st day consisted of being told by people that I was going to win. Talk about pressure.

It was better than I had expected though.

The real nightmare was conceding to young Timothy in the Hardcore.

The format being what it is and the high standard of players I can't see losing a game early on will have the same effect this time.

I'm expecting to just miss out on top 4.

Correction! I told you you HAD to win. Not that you were going to....