Starting out...

Krimsonscythe

Played my first "demo" game a couple days ago and am hooked. Definitely going Guild and may be picking up a box set or two plus rulebook today.

I played using the Sonnia box set but keep in mind it was game one and I barely have the basics down.

Between Ortegas and Sonnia which box would be more forgiving to start out with and would buying both afford me decent options as I figure the game out and decide what else to add in? The Perdita model is one of my favorite in the line and I really like the spaghetti western look and feel...

I play Warmahordes (Cryxx) actively and played GW for 15 years until about a year ago. I was a HUGE fan of Confrontation as well.

Any help and advice is appreciated....

Eric J

Every crew has it's pros and con's for folks starting out.

Perdita's crew is a little more straight forward. "I shoot things, they die." But they have some complications like Companion (Family) and Papa Loco's 'splodey spells. But for the most part they are a move (or don't) and shoot! They tend to be a fater crew ('Dita can walk six inches (that's HUGHE)).

Criid is the magic user in the Guild, but her spells are pretty straight forward "I blow things up with fire :D". Her crew is slower, and, I would argue, more frustrating, simply because they don't <seem> to be doing as much. This crew is slower, though the stalkers don't get held up in much thanks to scout/hunter.

Personally, I'd start with 'Dita, but I know lots of folks start with Criid and never look back. It's all in your play style. ;)

Welcome to Malifaux, the boards, and The Guild. We're always looking for a few good... people :)

So I guess the real question is to my first purchase; The manual and a box starter. Is The Perdita set enough for me to not only learn the game but begin to understand what else I might want to add?

Should I get Perdita and some Witchlings?

I enjoy melee but I want a change in the area of having more ranged attacks so Ortega seems the way to go. I did however enjoy Sonnia's magic but is there too big a learning curve with her?

Yeah, I know I sound like that annoying kid next door.... ;)

Eric J

The RM is key, and I think 'Dita's box will be enough to learn on. There are enough models in the crew for a 25ss scrap.

The wonderful thing about the Guild is the fact that all the models work well together. There are some models that work better together... and there are some models that don't work as well as we'd like. But if you were to pick up 'Dita today, and then Criid in a few weeks, you could interchange models to make the crews stronger or bigger.

Perdita and her Family are good for learning because they are fun to play as a beginner, and as a seasoned player. There are basics that you can use, and as you continue using them you learn new ways of directing the army. The only Guild crew more straight forward than the Ortegas is Justice... and they're a melee crew (mostly :)). The crew is useful against most of the factions, too, so it's not like you have to worry if you come up against Ressers with her... she shoots them dead just like she does with the Neverborn ;)

Don't forget your fate cards ;)

My suggestion would be to go with the Perdita box set and if you have the funds, pick up 1 package of witchling stalkers and 1 package of death marshalls.

You will be good to go for quite a while with those models and they give you great options against most masters.

I would wait on Sonia until you have a very good undstanding of the game mechanics and its tactics. It would also be a good idea to play against Sonia a few times and see if that crew os something your interested in while you learn perdita.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I got a deal through purchase and trade with my buddy who bought all kinds of stuff to demo. So I bought my Perdita AND Criid boxes (price was too good NOT to get the Sonnia box. Basically got the box for the price of the witchlings).

Very excited to start dealing out fire and lead to the misguided.... :vb_devil:

Eric J

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I got a deal through purchase and trade with my buddy who bought all kinds of stuff to demo. So I bought my Perdita AND Criid boxes (price was too good NOT to get the Sonnia box. Basically got the box for the price of the witchlings).

Very excited to start dealing out fire and lead to the misguided.... :vb_devil:

Eric J

This is what I was going to suggest as both boxe's minions can be mixed in with either master. Add Nino to Criid or Sam Hopkins to Peredita, etc.