Hoffman avatar list

Sygerrik

So I really really want to like Hoffman's avatar, and I've put together a 35ss list that I think can use it well.

Hoffman

Lucius 10ss

-Drill Sergeant 3ss

Warden 5ss

Warden 5ss

Watcher 3ss

Guardian 7ss

Total: 35ss

Cache: 4ss

Basically, this list is all about bricking up and shooting off at least 6x :+fate Cb 6:rams Paralyze trigger shots to lock down the enemy and whittle them away. I intentionally didn't take Ryle or a Peacekeeper because their liabilities will become a problem when Hoffman Avatars and loses Maintain Machines, and since this last lacks a melee beater the goal is to get him to Avatar as quickly as possible. The Guardian can armor up the brick and take wounds for Avatar Hoffman, so he can safely sit in Do Not Go Gently range without worrying about getting killed by stray shots. A Watcher is never not useful, either to plink off Harmless/Pitiful/Terrifying, cancel cover bonuses, or just sift cards and grab objectives. Lucius can also provide some nice mobility to this list with Reinforcements, which when combined with a Watcher's high Wk and Flight means it's almost impossible to keep it from an objective if it really wants to go there.

Thoughts?

Your logic engine seems perfectly on target. Sorry could resist. But the seems very solid for hoffman wither he would go avatar or not. Wardens are something built specifically to fill the role needed in an avatar hoffman list. And watcher may be the best guild construct based on being a superior objective nabber.

I am tooling around with a similar list (pro-aHoffman and no peacekeeper), my only concern looking over yours is that you are relying heavily on the Drill Sergeants "shooting range" interacting with Hoffman's "Machine Puppet". While this is possible, you have to take into account Hoffman's "Dampening" ability. This is going to force you into being very careful with model placement (only having 1" to work with) and potentially leaves Hoffman without a buddy (unless you plan to run him attached to the Guardian.

I tend to run the Drill Sergeant linked to a melee fighter away from Hoffman (since the extra training bonus is not a :pulse or :aura you will always get the bonus). At 12" range "Attennn-Hut" can be used to ensure Hoffman's "tap power" doesn't slow down one of your other models. And you can still make use of your "Shooting Range" with out Hoffman objecting.

Just my 2 cents, I'm interested to see how your list works out!

Hm. Does Dampening "turn off" auras already in play or simply prevent them from being started up? If it's the latter, with careful order of activation (and using the Guardian as Hoffman's "ride") you could start it up and then move Hoffman in to Machine Puppet. If not, no great loss; Hoffman needs to be 4" away from one Warden, and that Warden should be 4" from the Sergeant, so you can easily have Hoff more than 3" from the Sarge.

"Dampening" will only stop the Drill Sargent from using "shooting range" when he tries to activate it within 3" of Hoffman, so you are right on that logic.

Though at that point, you are limiting your AP for shots, as well as increasing the length of the priority activation chain.

What I mean to say is. Say turn 2 you have the perfect set up. Your first activation would be the drill sergeant for "shooting range". Then you would have to activate Hoffman's ride (Warden), burn a card to walk(w/ relentless) into position and take 2 shots (possibly burning more cards for your paralyze trigger). All before you could activate Hoffman for his "machine puppet" shots.

If you "tap power" with Hoffman for a 3rd AP, you're guardian will be slow next turn.

So for turn 3 to even potentially repeat this strategy, you would have to first activate the second warden (linked to the drill sergeant in a previous turn), pull the drill sergeant out of Hoffman's bubble, with the potential to take 2 shots un-buffed. Then activate the drill sergeant and put out "shooting range". Then Hoffman's ride (1st warden) would use relentless and get a single buffed shot (he's slow). All before Hoffman got to go himself, for a potential 2 or 3 shots!

So on turn 2, you would have to activate a minimum of 2 models before Hoffman could go (a potential of 7 buffed shots from hoff and 2 wardens. which is nothing to scoff at!).

But on turn 3, you would have to activate 3 models before Hoffman let loose (a potential of only 3 or 4 shots).

Giving your opponent plenty of time to break your combo.

This is before you account for wanting to use the watcher to stack your deck, or clear "harmless"/"pitiful", which would further delay your activations. Not to mention, with all the relentless and cheating for triggers, you have eliminated your fate hand (especially rams), so Lucius and the Guardian are struggling to assist you at their full potential. Which also puts you are at the mercy of models with any "discard or suffer X" types of damage.

It also puts a lot of big bases in a relatively small grouping, which might be ok when it's Hoffman ("dampening" again), but you are going to want to spread those models out when aHoffman arrives (Precious Cargo)!

Sorry if that got really detailed, but as I said before, I've been working a lot with figuring out aHoffman, so this was as much working through the logistics in my head as it was responding to your tactic!

Edited by guynamedFleck

No, this is important to think about. I think order of activations is in fact one of the most crucial skills for a Hoffman player because he's so reliant on his constructs for movement, and because Override Edict is much much more powerful if used on a construct that's already activated.

At the same time, remember that Wardens get a :+fate to attack and damage rolls against models that have already activated, so activating them late in the turn is a good idea.

I'd rather use the Guardian as a ride since it can just use its 0 to buff armor around itself and walk twice to keep up. So first activation Drill Sergeant, second Guardian, third Hoffman-- which incidentally gives the opponent plenty of chances to activate their own models and make them priority targets for Wardens. The :+fate also reduces your need to cheat for rams, and I'd rather save cards and try to go for a volume of shots, since you don't really need to paralyze everyone-- just key heavy hitters and disrupting models.

Great point, I had overlooked that. So you're already looking at a :+fate on attack and Dg against an opponent that has activated. For a potential :+fate:+fate on attack and :+fate on Dg if you've got "shooting range" up. Add in "machine puppet" and watch the mayhem unravel!

I take back the comment on burning through your hand, haha. Nice combo there.

I suppose there is also some benefit to be had with "Assimilate: Overprotective" if you really wanted to do some crazy stuff.