Ever get the feeling your out numbered?

nix

That's a butt load of puppets.

How are you finding the game and how do you sort out what puppets people use ie. deck building or random.

I like doing it randomly makes a fun game

I love the game. Since Gencon I have knocked out a couple demo's, a couple games with friends, and a couple with my family. My family games have been most fun, and most challenging. We have 5 people in my family, so that necessitates some changes to both the board and how you draft puppets. What I have done is this:

• Board Set-up - Link Here
    • I put myself in the middle

[*]We randomly draft 1 sidekick each

[*]We draft 5 pawns each

• For the pawn draft, I split the deck of all pawns into 5 semi-equal piles.
    • Everyone picks a pawn from their pile and passes the pile to the left
    • Everyone picks from 1 pile 1 time, then the draft is done.

This method has kept things interesting and my kids and wife all learning the game each time we play.

Edited by nix

Wow.

Nice to be reminded that I'm not the most addicted person out around :)

Quick question-

I was trying to figure out what to do with/about the 2 colour bases and keeping track easily of who is running what puppet. I was figuring that using the same pool of figures over a few games would lead to situations of "senility". You know the "Am I running the blue or the yellow belle this game?" situation.

Have you had any problems with that in game ?

I love the game. Since Gencon I have knocked out a couple demo's, a couple games with friends, and a couple with my family. My family games have been most fun, and most challenging. We have 5 people in my family, so that necessitates some changes to both the board and how you draft puppets. What I have done is this:

• Board Set-up - Link Here
    • I put myself in the middle

[*]We randomly draft 1 sidekick each

[*]We draft 5 pawns each

• For the pawn draft, I split the deck of all pawns into 5 semi-equal piles.
    • Everyone picks a pawn from their pile and passes the pile to the left
    • Everyone picks from 1 pile 1 time, then the draft is done.

This method has kept things interesting and my kids and wife all learning the game each time we play.

I must admit we started with Master, 1 Sidekick and 3 minions. Now we play with a Master, 2 Sidekicks and 6 minions. The major thing we found was at smaller sizes Pokey Vik is horrific, you just need to kill a few puppets and she has a clear route to your Master and then beats him to death. but once you get up to a full 8 puppet Toybox, it's much easier to block this and gradually wittle her down without your Master getting into danger.

You Master, 1 Sidekick, 5 minions seems a good compromise. Only having one Sidekick makes things simpler and 6 puppets is still possibly enough to stop a Vik rampage.

Wow.

Quick question-

I was trying to figure out what to do with/about the 2 colour bases and keeping track easily of who is running what puppet. I was figuring that using the same pool of figures over a few games would lead to situations of "senility". You know the "Am I running the blue or the yellow belle this game?" situation.

Well I have my rings.. I know Bringer of Death has got some tiny little buttons that he's planning on either magnetising or pinning to the bases to show ownership.

Our demos have run more of a draft format:

Each person picks a master, and a sidekick of the same suit.

Then we split the puppets up by suit (or lack thereof) and everyone gets one pawn of each suit.

This gives everyone a pretty good idea of how synergy in your master's suit works as well as giving them options for activations based on the different suits, and avoids the need to only have one suit in your hand to be able to get effects off.

So far the only problem we've had is only having one booster pack, so Pandora gets fairly useless if you kill off the only two woes we currently have... Fixed by not playing Pandora and substituting Pokey Vik (Yay for winning the demo contest!!!!). :)

Wow.

Quick question-

I only have a couple triples in the set, and have not run into the issue of all 3 being on the board so far. With that in mind, sticking with the black an grey bases has worked so far.