Gremlin Witch Doctor

Spiku

Nah not a full homebrew ;3 A question about a mechanic being discussed at my games store for some Gremlin juju:

2 AP, Sacrifice friendly gremlin > Obey

Now for me this is only the second week of Malifaux interest, but it struck me that an ability like this would just encourage taking a crew of full Bayou Gremlin/Young LaCroix with Ophelia leading it, and just pulling things into the line. Didn't seem to sit well, what do you chaps think?

I wouldn't imagine it'd be very effective. Assuming you're going to be following the standard way Obey works you'd only be able use the ability once per turn, per model (although that's more or less the case already if it costs 2 AP). Moreover you'd still need a resist duel (and this would have to be a spell) and given the average Gremlin Ca I don't think you'd be getting it off much.

That said, I'd be against it in terms of flavour. It steps on Zoraida's toes as the swamp witch and seems out of character with what we know of the Gremlins themselves.

You can more or less create this kind of Crew anyway. Just take Zoraida and have her hire Ophelia and a Gremlin gun line. Although frankly if I were doing that I'd probably use my Obeys to get extra actions out of Ophelia.

I largely didn't think it was a good idea because of the reasons I outlined, but I wanted to see if people with more know agreed with the guys at the store.

I do however disagree in the strongest possible terms that it is against the flavour. The fluff demonstrates a chap being enthralled, and sacrificed in flame by the gremmins~.

Also zoraida makes you pay +1SS per gremlin you take, I don't imagine you'd take more than Ophelia and Remi for her.

I can see where the nonfluff comes from Spiku, and would like to suggest a compromise.

It is pretty easy to imagine other Gremlins being enchanted by him, however enchanting outstanders not so much, what you could do though:

Witch Doctor

Gremlin, Rare 2

Wk/Cg Ht Ca Wp Df Wd

4/6 1 5 4 5 8

Weapon Poison Staff

Cb 5

Rg 2"

Dmg 0/1/6

Enthralling Presence (2) (CC:12:masks; Rst:-; Rg 8")

Sacrifice friendly Gremlin, Pig or Vermin within 6" of Witch Doctor, Target Friendly Gremlin immediatly activates, and makes a full activation, regardless of wether it already activated this turn, if it did not yet activate this turn, it still can activate.

Or

(0) Enthrall, sacrifice friendly gremlin, pig or vermin within 6"; the Witch Doctor gains (1) Boss Command (CC: 13; Rst: -, Rg 8") Target friendly Gremlin immediatly takes a (1) action

I'm in the nick of time right now, so I'll come back to this later :) (only had like 10 minutes to device this :P )

I can see where the nonfluff comes from Spiku, and would like to suggest a compromise.

It is pretty easy to imagine other Gremlins being enchanted by him, however enchanting outstanders not so much, what you could do though

But he litereally HAS enthralled a person in the fluff! There is a story where after drugging a crew, a chap is surrounded by chanting Gremlins, and the person narrating explains the expression of the charmed chap as he watches. Som'er tottles up, takes a swig, says "Sacrifice." in English, then immolates him with a breath of fire! That IS the fluff, there is clearly a connection there, there is no question of that.

But I do feel I should point out once again that I didn't really agree with the suggestion of an outright obey, this was me asking for other people's input on whether I was right about the use of Obey in a gremlin heavy list at a sacrifice fuel. By the way what you refer to is Reactivate ;3

Have a feeling that the Gremlin from thefluff may be a as yet to be released Gremlin model.

Also any model that requires the sacrifice of a gremlin, piglet, or vermin model is going to be relegated to a Some'r crew since he is the only model that can easily replace all three of those. With any other Master the loss of those models is not worth either the Reactivate ability of option 1 above or the Issue command type ability of option 2. Additionally option 1 is going to be fairly difficult for the Gremlin Witch Doctor to cast needing a 7 +:masks (15% chance of success).