Using Instamold

Fettster

I have been playing around with Instamold (bought a single stick for £2 from Bitzbox.co.uk) and been quite pleased with the results.

Covered the ribs on my nightmare teddies that I didn't like by molding some fur, cutting back the ribs and filling with greenstuff and then pressing the mold onto it, then blended the edges with scuplting tools.

IMAG0404.jpg

IMAG0403.jpg

I also cast a hat from a Austringer and added to Miss Demenour, think I need to recast and tweak, but you get the idea, What do you think?

IMAG0409.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

IMAG0407.jpg

Leigh

As someone that wishes to kick up dust over it, I'll be happy to post my reply that I just answered as well.

--

Mainly as your advocating the use of self made molds to create additional models out of greenstuff based off Wyrd product.

While we understand it happens, its not something that a manufacturer likes to have slapped in the face with on forums as its an encouragement to bypass sales of product, or to purchase once and then with a bit of time and effort, create doubles or more of product for friends and associates.

I think your efforts looked great, but no reason to kick up a storm over it either, thus the thread was moderated (not deleted).

--

So basically, while we're most happy to see conversions, even bits and pieces here and there, it is a bit of a kick to see whole models replicated, no matter how talented and for what uses.

It's a very small step for some folks from there to press mold whole crews, prime them up and then sell them on ebay or the like .. much like the e-mail I got near a year ago of someone who purchased a whole crew for Malifaux off ebay, only to receive it and wonder 'hrmmm, why are these so light'. Yup, whole crew press molded and sold.

I don't see the return for the effort, but some folks do, and are quite creative in doing so.

I can most certainly appreciate the creativity cause its pretty damn cool, just please don't go show full on casting of Wyrd or another manufacturers product on the the forums folks.

Edited by Nathan Caroland

I'm sorry for not thinking my post through, Nathan. I just saw that I had done something fun and wanted to share it. I know it doesn't help, but the copy I made was not anywhere as detailed as the real thing, and I did make it as a base accessory, not as a separate model, so the thought of people making copies of whole miniatures didn't even cross my mind. I've edited my blog post now to make it a bit clearer what I was using the Instant Mold for.

Edited by Swift

I'd just like to echo Nathans comments,

Dont make copies! It hurts the manafacturers and as a result our hobby.

I am using this only for making parts for conversions or adding details I don't have the skill to sculpt. I would never copy a whole model as it is too time consuming and would never give the same quality and if you want cheap there is e-bay or swap with fellow gamers

Leigh