Official UK Malifaux Team Challenge GT - 23rd and 24th June 2012

Neverata

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

Your thoughts please on this.

Maelstrom have advised that now they have opened the kitchens at their venue, with all events tickets i have to add on roughly £15 per head, this will provide you with food on Saturday and Sunday lunches and cake at afternoon break on one of the days.

Let me know what you think, I will be unable to sell tickets without the food attached, i have been assured the food is now of a higher standard than it was at the masters, and would save people having to go out of a lunch time

Cheers

This won't put me off but £30/head is expensive.

I like not having to run out for lunch and being able to eat with the rest of the players, that's always positive and fun. However at that sort of mark up it needs to be food worth eating. The cost each day is around; a good 12" Subway, a Bacon Cheeseburger meal at BK, or your body weight in Greggs pasties.

Don't get me wrong if it's a bit above the standard of the toad in the hole we got on day two of the masters that'll be ok. If it's anywhere near the egg mayo sandwiches and grotty sausage rolls of day one, that's not going to fly.

TBH if the £15 food cost is actually Maelstrom wanting to charge for eye of the storm I'd feel better about them admitting they need us to help pay for the upkeep of their excellent venue, rather than insisting we buy over priced food.

Disclaimer: None of this a criticism of neverata.

This won't put me off but £30/head is expensive.

I like not having to run out for lunch and being able to eat with the rest of the players, that's always positive and fun. However at that sort of mark up it needs to be food worth eating. The cost each day is around; a good 12" Subway, a Bacon Cheeseburger meal at BK, or your body weight in Greggs pasties.

Don't get me wrong if it's a bit above the standard of the toad in the hole we got on day two of the masters that'll be ok, if it's anywhere near the egg mayo sandwiches and grotty sausage rolls of day one. That's not going to fly.

TBH if the £15 food cost is actually Maelstrom wanting to charge for eye of the storm I'd feel better about them admitting they need us to help pay for the upkeep of their excellent venue, rather than insisting we buy over priced food.

Disclaimer: None of this a criticism of neverata.

I am feeling the pain of this one, because i know personally unless the food was epic, i wouldn't want to pay the money for it. I'm pretty fussy with what i eat. I don't want to move the venue, but depending on what the response is on this i might have to. I don't want to lose out on the attendance for something that could be a lot of fun on the basis of something i have zero control over.

Cheers James

Just thought I'd chirp up;

I was at a Kings of War tourney last weekend at Maelstrom and we had to pay for food. One thing I will say is that the food was pretty decent. We had;

- Sandwich buffet on day 1 that was actually pretty decent.

- Apple pie and Custard inbetween games 2 and 3

- A jacket potato with choice of filling day 2 (I went for beans) and came with a side salad

- Choice of cake inbetween games 2 and 3

And I had no complaints of the food. It was a little bit dear for what it was, especially having worked in catering, but I wouldn't have qualms with paying the extra.

I have to say though you said you 'may move the venue', well, I'm always going to big up Stockport but even if you still held it at Maelstrom with an extra cost I'd defo be there for this one.

Yeah they did say the food was better, the kitchen was relatively new during the Masters. I'm thinking of making the cost of a ticket £25, with £10 per ticket going into the prize pool per ticket rather than the normal £15. That way making it not over unreasonable. Trying to keep a balance is not always easy! ;)

Stockport was always an option after i was approached earlier on in the year, i just prefer Maelstrom if possible. Thanks for chirping up, i'll wait to have some more feedback before doing anything drastic.

So I've been told to post this, as I defended Maelstorm in one post, I guess this is semi-justified.

Apparently Stockport can do food for £5 for 2 days, but it's optional, and I've been assured the food is nice, but as said, it's optional.

Just throwing it out there ;)

Aye the food at stockport was okay. Not ground breaking but I think I paid about £3 for a hot steak baguette which wasn't bad. Okay it was braised steak but steak nonetheless. Plus you can get bottomless chips across the road...

- Sandwich buffet on day 1 that was actually pretty decent.

- Apple pie and Custard inbetween games 2 and 3

- A jacket potato with choice of filling day 2 (I went for beans) and came with a side salad

- Choice of cake inbetween games 2 and 3

For me paying £7.50 for sandwiches and cake and then £7.50 for jacket potato and cake is a rip off. Sorry, but unless Jamie Oliver is in there buttering bread then it's massively over priced.

I don't mind paying for fuel to Mansfield, a hotel for 2/3 nights, tournament entry, and meals every day because thats fair enough and I can choose what to do, but being made to pay £15 for food which wasn't that good last time (I'll take the "we've improved the kitchen" with a pinch of salt), with no choice in the matter is a little off. Hell, it's not like I don't spend a fortune with Maelstrom anyway.

If food was menu'd and priced and I had a choice in the matter I'd be cool with this, but being made to pay an inflated price for food as a condition of entering an event makes me feel like I'm being taken advantage of. And if that's the case, there's plenty of other LGS who'll post me models.

And like Craig, none of this is a reflection on Jo (even though I heard she's on commission :))

Being Diabetic with a cheese allergy I like to choose what to do for meals, some meals I need more sugar content and some less. I agree if it was menued up and Priced I would go with it.

I am very suprised Maelstrom have decided to go down the option they have done with this. But at the end of the day it is out of Jo's and our hands