Base inserts manufacture – short tutorial

Vinncent

In connection with the emerging questions about contributions to the base inserts, I decided to present my own way doing such inserts, completely yourself, without using casting mold.

The following example applies to the simplest contributions imitating the floor, sidewalk, or something like that.

Enjoy.

So, what we need :): dental plaster, abrasive paper, old pack of the cd's, files, graph paper, glue, pencil and brush ...

picture.php?albumid=265&pictureid=1050

...cast plaster with a thin plate, about 2-3 mm...

picture.php?albumid=265&pictureid=1051

...gypsum board is divided into parts and draw the shape of the bases...

picture.php?albumid=265&pictureid=1052

...grinding :)...

picture.php?albumid=265&pictureid=1053

...then applied the emblem...

picture.php?albumid=265&pictureid=1054

...carve a pattern on the base...

picture.php?albumid=265&pictureid=1055

...fill the interior of the stand to increase the contact surface of the insert during the bonding...

picture.php?albumid=265&pictureid=1056

...painting; in this example i chose Codex Grey for basecoat, Badab Black wash and drybrush with the Dheneb Stone (all from the GW palette)...

picture.php?albumid=265&pictureid=1057

...finally ready :); in this case with the addition of static grass.

picture.php?albumid=265&pictureid=1058

:)

picture.php?albumid=265&pictureid=1059

This is nothing special, but I hope that will be useful to someone.

It's really great!

I'll just add that because of how plaster breaks, if you smack such an insert with a hammer (not too hard!) you'll get excellent cracked pavement for your Quarantine Zone themed inserts. (may not work as advertised every time you smack it) :)

yes, i use this too. on the forum showed only one of many possibilities :)

thanks all for for your feedback

That looks pretty awesome, though I might have used a little less grass on the actual stairs. I wonder what kind of textures we can get with different materials.

I agree, too much to me to be spilled, but it is to repair :)

now experimenting with a sponge bath, hehe :) I wait until it dries and see what will come out :)

The last one could look good for Hamelin... the protruding bits to be painted as some sickly mushrooms piercing the earth. Obviously you'd have to add one or two fully grown mushroom for people to make the connection... where Hamelin steps decay and shrooms just pours out of the earth...

agree, and well it happens, because my next crew I intend to buy is just Hamelin :)

These bases look great. Are there different grades or types of plaster that work better than others?

I use dental plastem from my friend, but these also are many types, mine has an average hardness and thus does not crumble too easily.

I do not know as elsewhere, but in my country (Poland), this type has a bright violet color. Unfortunately I do not know from which company is this.