Impression from proxy games

This won't be a full battle report because we've been proxying models to try out people before buying them, but I thought I'd share some cool things that happened in our last two games and our thoughts on some models.

We tried out marcus vs viktoria. Marcus took Miranda, a rattler and 2 mole men and 2 silurids. Vik took 3 ronin and misaki and hans. Hans seemed to underperform and my son was left with a distinct dislike. Misaki fought a good fight against the rattler in the center of the table with her flaming bisento, only to die to a leaping charge of the last silurid. Marcus had contain power for a strategy which was hopeless against viktoria. He also had sabotage and stake claim on the same piece of terrain which was simple due to the mobility of some units and staying power of others. I managed to kill 1 vik (with the overly intricate combination attack of miranda) but the other vik promoted a ronin to being her soul sister. The viks had to deliver a message, which they did before beating the stuffing out of marcus.

Overall my son liked Viktoria and Misaki. I liked Marcus and loved Miranda. The rattler got unlucky but I still liked it. The molemen were reasonably effective for their cost.

In our second game we took Rasputina vs Sonia. I decided to do what I thought was an unconventional ras crew, taking 3 hoarcats, a december acolyte, a wendigo, and Miranda. Miranda was there to give me flexibility. The hoarcats were chosen mostly for evasion 3. Sonia took 4 witchling stalkers and a peacemaker.

Some cool stuff- Miranda in the form of a rattler charged the peacemaker, hit it ineffectually but triggered the power that lets it push 6", moved completely past the peacemaker and then charged sonia, biting her, then reverted to miranda and punched sonia in the face poisoning her. I love that girl! The hoar cats kept moving around and through people using pass through so as to keep them from moving where they wanted. One turn the peacemaker tried to disengage but my cats hit it so somehow these housecats held up the ht 3 steam-mech. Sonia was finally taken down by two cats and miranda triggering an inferno explosion that killed all her attackers, a purifying flame, and a witchling stalker. It was quite the boom. One attack by the hoar cats saw me flip an ace to attack, my son flip and ace to defend and me then cheat a third ace because I needed the crow trigger to get rip throat.

The coolest though was that I flipped turf war and had to get pokey little rasputina all the way to the enemy deployment zone. I double walked her every turn of the game and turn 6 made 1" into the enemy deployment zone. I thought I had no chance but judicious use of white out and ice walls let her waddle her way over. The peacekeeper almost hit me with a harpoon which would have cost me more than a turn's movement (between the 4" an the slow") but missed.

our conclusions- raspy is fun though not well suited to strategies that require movement. Hoar cats worked wel, much better than gaiman I think. They did quite a bit of damage and I like their ability to heal themselves. Miranda is a treat. She healed cats, she assaulted a peacekeeeper and sonia in the same round while traveling about 18". The acolyte did decently. No powerhouse he has some useful abilities. And I liked the wendigo a fair amount.

My son found the witchling stalkers to be rather fragile. He liked the peacekeeper, but then he was also lucky when drawing for duels not to see it paralyzed more. Sonia he thought was nice but not really his thing.

Most people don't like Hans because he has a hard time shooting stuff with Cb 5 and has to cast for his ammo. But most people I feel don't use him properly. Most high cost models have a Df of 4 or 5, perfect targets for Hans. This mixed with his range can force those big creatures to take an alternate path. He takes some getting used to in order to perfect his play.

As for Raspi, yes she is slow in speed games (although if you get corner deplloyment, its not as bad for her), but the way Malifaux is played we find out our strategies before hiring models. I know you were play testing, which is good because it allowed you to see strengths and weaknesses of some models before buying.