Abilities that cause a damage flip

Calmdown

Question

This is never clarified with various abilities with the same wording.

EG Stitched Together's GyL says 'damage flip which may be cheated', what does that mean? It's been previously ruled that you do a usual 'difference in totals' flip on Stitched, so it appears there is no consistency between that ruling and this aSonnia ruling here?

Does "may be cheated" mean "work out the difference as usual and you can cheat it if you dont get a negative flip", and "cannot be cheated" mean "make exactly the flip mentioned here"? What about when Kaeris uses Accelerant, which is unresisted and has no cheat rules, is that always cheatable?

So I guess the overarching question here is - What defines, in rules on the cards, when a spell or ability uses difference-based flips, and when it just makes a straight flip?

5 answers to this question

So I guess the overarching question here is - What defines, in rules on the cards, when a spell or ability uses difference-based flips, and when it just makes a straight flip?

The ruling in the Avatar Sonnia Spell thread is specific to her.

Damage Flips are, according to the rules, "Cheatable". The Damage Flip in her Spell is part of the effect and states that it cannot be Cheated.

The ruling in the Avatar Sonnia Spell thread is specific to her.

Damage Flips are, according to the rules, "Cheatable". The Damage Flip in her Spell is part of the effect and states that it cannot be Cheated.

What part of the rules or her rules tells us that this is a straight flip and not affected by duel differences? ie how are we meant to know that from the card text?

What part of the rules or her rules tells us that this is a straight flip and not affected by duel differences? ie how are we meant to know that from the card text?

The fact that the actual damage flip is not linked to any duel in particular.

Each model in range makes a defense flip. But the Damage Flip is made if any model fails it, not for each model that fails it.

Yeah, I think there's some confusion between the use of the words "cheated" and "modified". Whether the duel can be cheated or not doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not it can be modified by the Duel total. For instance, if the ability says it cannot be cheated, then it IS possible that it could be modified by the duel total. On the flip side, it could be possible for the damage flip to be unmodified based on the duel total (or lack of Resist in Kaeris' Accelerant, for example), and yet can still be cheated.

With Kaeris, I think it's slightly straightforward, since the Book 2 wording doesn't say you CAN'T cheat it, so it implies you can.

Seems like it would be better in cases of like Avatar Sonnia if it used both the words 'cannot be cheated or modified' if that is really the intent.

The fact that the actual damage flip is not linked to any duel in particular.

Each model in range makes a defense flip. But the Damage Flip is made if any model fails it, not for each model that fails it.

That is what I was looking for. Does that mean that by implication (and Im not trying to trap you into something here - I have nothing specific in mind), a flip is *always* difference-based if it is linked to a duel, unless otherwise stated?

And secondarily, always cheatable, unless otherwise stated (in this case - Kaeris' flip can be cheated because it doesnt say it cant, even though it isnt linked to a duel, as there is no requirement for a duel to take place for cheating to be legal)?