Dumb Luck's Somer Diary

Dumb Luck

Got another game for you guys. As the GT has just shared strats, most of my games now will revolve around them. Again, 35ss and I had ...

Somer Teeth Jones 3ss cache

Skeeter

Malifaux Rat

Ophelia LaCroix

Slop Hauler

5 Bayou Gremlins

Schemes: Bodyguard (Somer), Holdout

He had ...

Dr Douglas McMourning 8ss cache

Sebastian

Bette Noire

4 Dogs

Chi ... chiuah ... his totem

3 Necropunks

Schemes: Holdout, Eye for Eye

The table was a farmland kind of affair, a few houses in his left corner. Fences and fields covered most of the map. My corners had a watch tower (left) and a house (right) in them. A huge tree stood in the middle. A gravestone at its roots was out shared Claim Jump. Our deployment zones were the 12 inch boxes.

A perfect mission for Somer! All I had to do was make sure that none of those nasty undead got to grips with me. I could afford to spend the game sitting just outside the marker and farm Gremlins. All told, I wasn't that fussed by Bette. Firstly, he'd have to chuck an easy kill up the throat to get her out. She'd kick a Gremlin or two but since she has four wounds, she's easy Pull My Finger bait. Either because of this or the sheer number of guns I had, she never surfaced until the final turn where she nabbed a Skeeter.

This is pretty much what I did all game. Somer parked himself on the corner of the house and didn't move all game. I started off the game with five Gremlins. I ended with fifteen (this is with none of them dying either). The Ressers spend most of the game pottering around the fields on their right flank, noticing that I had the upper hand summoning wise. Apart from Rami netting a kill here and there, the only conflict came in the last turns. My two Skeeters farted off his dogs and McMourning created a Flesh Construct in the perfect spot to block off the marker to me. Until he was shot to bits.

Final result was a 6-2 in my favour. Could have been a six nothing, but I completely forgot his Holdout. Derp.

What I Learnt

Number of Skeeters: I find at 35ss that two is plenty. More is grand but you can survive with the one you take and the one you make from the Rat. All they need to do is pop Gremlin's Luck once each and then troll the foe from the rest of the game. Also, their Df7 saved them so many times this game.

Somer: The 5th Resser Master?: I take everything back. Managing to triple the Bayou Gremlin count over the course of the game was insane. Flip between Gettin' Bros and Swigs and he's pretty much golden. His favourite scenarios are Turf War, Recon and Claim Jump.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing I found is you can afford to run a really small cache with him. If you don't play like an idiot, he doesn't need them for anything other than getting turns.

Before book 2 I always ran him with 0.

After book 2 I sometimes throw in a few for Ophelia. She still likes soulstones.

Would totally agree, when I am running a Somer pure list (no Ophelia) I rarely take Soulstones. When I do I will limit myself to 2 ad only really use them to pull off a great Boomer shot.

Just got my wave 2 of gremlins today. Gremlin taxidermist + stuffed piglets and a pair of slop haulers with a pigapult on preorder. Sadly the skeeters are backordered with no eta.

So the slop haulers look basic enough, keep them near the gunline then launch them forward, pulse something and shoot with the rest of the gunline. The taxidermist and stuffed piglets should be able to kill off whatever i miss, just by swamping an already activated model/models and blowing them in the end phase. Anything else Im missing?

Another handy trick with the Slop Hauler is against high Df models, like your Lilths or Perditas. Park a Gremlin next to them, fire some Slop at them and cheat it all so you end up with the blast hitting the enemy. Their Df drops to four. Easy pickings!

Also, don't forget Haulers get a free heal on a few guys when they die!

Another handy trick with the Slop Hauler is against high Df models, like your Lilths or Perditas. Park a Gremlin next to them, fire some Slop at them and cheat it all so you end up with the blast hitting the enemy. Their Df drops to four. Easy pickings!

Also, don't forget Haulers get a free heal on a few guys when they die!

Decent tactic but be sure to keep the Gremlin out of Melee range of the model you really want to hit, other wise the whole thing can fail because of the firing into Melee rules randomising the target (and forcing the attack on the High Df model anyway).

I'm still playing with Somer, honest!

My main objective this time was to give that infinite Skeeter trick a go. Other than, it was a pretty straight forward game.

The table had a ruined church in the centre, with a tall ruined spire in each of our deployment zones. Rubble was scattered here and here. I took (which is quickly becoming the standard Somer list) ...

Somer Teeth Jones 3ss cache

Skeeter

Malifaux Rat

Ophelia LaCroix

Slop Hauler

5 Bayou Gremlins

Schemes: Bodyguard (Somer), Holdout

I am aware that the schemes are the same as last time but Holdout vs Tina. Come onnnnnn!

He had ...

Rasputina 5ss cache

Essence of Power

2 Ice Gaimin

Snowstorm

Silent One

Friekorps Trapper

I deployed behind the spire in my deployment zone, right on the back board edge. Aslong as I could snipe out those nasty Ice Mirrors, Tina would have to put some heavy leg work into getting to me. The Trapper and the Silent One deployed on top of his spire with everything else just off to the side.

This game was odd. Very odd. My cache was all spent by mid turn two. The Silent One and Trapper spent most of the game climbing down from their tower, realising that I was never going to come close enough. The Gaimin waddled forward behind Snowstorm, who ran full out for the Gremlins protected by the cover of my spire. Rami chipped a few wounds off him. I then proceeded to do the Skeeter chain, getting another two wounds off the beast and shattering the Gaimin next to Snowstorm.

Turn Two began with Snowstorm on one wound. He ended up getting to go first and I panicked. The Skeeter was easy prey for Eat Your Fill and then Snowstorm would proceed to walk through a wall and wail on my gang. His Shatter alone could kill a Gremlin outright. Fortunately, he decided to forgo attacking the Skeeter and decided to skip right ahead and attempt the Shatterbomb. Even though he ended up killing two Gremlins and hurting Ophelia and the Hauler, his death was the confirmation of a victory for me. Hap hazard placement of Ice Pillars gave the Gremlins cover as they legged it to the other side of my deployment zone. His stuff was too far away to even catch up and with the Pillars in the way, there was no way he'd get Holdout. Rami managed to snipe off the other Gaimin and the Totem.

6-4 to the Gremlins.

What I Learnt

Focus Fire - Would have been really handy against Snowstorm. Why is it I remember to Defensive Stance when it never matters but always forget this? *headdesk*

Skeeter Chain - I can certainly see its applications. Its handy for squeezing in that extra bit of damage early on. Perhaps not the best game to try it in (with the points killed ratio etc). I only just managed to make my numbers back up after making those Skeeters and Snowstorm blowing up. Like normally, it is very card dependant. My opening hand was dreadful. The only reason it worked was because of a lucky Survival of the Fittest draw.

Skeeter Chain

Just to make sure:

Mosquito Larvaes a Bayou Gremlin, which then makes a new Mosquito.

New Mosquito Larvaes old Mosquito, which makes New Mosquito 2.

New Mosquito 2 Larvaes New Mosquito, making New Mosuito 3.

This can go on infinite times, correct?

Just hoping for a Rules Marshall's badge of approval.

The Skeeter Chain actually seems really abusive. You can just chain-summon skeeters while your opponent activates stuff, then you can take your entire activation with the rest of your crew after them. Methinks Skeeters may need some Cuddling.

In comparison to what other crews can do, I don't think infinitely spawning Skeeters is that bad.

Right. Pigapult fun. It was a game with Ophelia leading, but thats what Somer boils down to anyway. Since I've started building it, I thought I would test out my Pere/Pult theory. Game was against Showgirls (Colette, Cassandra, Performer/Mannequin, Two Coryphee) who ended up with a Treasure Hunt/Bodyguard/Sabotage combo on their hands. I took Ophelia/3 Young Uns/Rami/Pere/Pult/Slop Hauler/Lots of Gremlins. My mission was Claim Jump, along with Bodyguard/Stake a Claim.

The Showgirls all deployed in a clump. I deployed around his Sabotage target. Now either I went first or he didn't activate the Coryphee right away, but I activated Ophelia/Pere through Companion. She allowed the Pult to go next through Family Tree. It used the Launchin action to place Pere infront of the whole crew, where he swiftly died and took the two Coryphee with him.

Obviously the intention is for him to live, cast Ooipsie THEN be shot in the back and blow up but I think it still worked.

Pere and the Pigapult is next level Gremlin usage.