Can hoffman override himself?

robk

Question

Not sure if this works but can override edict be cast on hoffman. Other spells do state target or caster but those mainly go to healing flips.

Assuming that you use one (0) for fast then this would give you one more AP. Assuming you have a 10 :masks in your hand.

9 answers to this question

Hoffman overriding his own edict? Is that a case of schizophrenia or what?

Okay, humorous thought aside. It seems not as casting override edict is considered an attack. This caught me a few times, as I was not flipping cards for my own models to resist it at first when I cast it on friendly models.

It really wouldn't buy you much either if you could do it. You'd lose out on 2 actions to cast it and get reactivate, which get you 2 more actions. And you can't just go immediately in this case, you need to allow the opponent to have an activation in between (something about model not able to go twice in a row from Ratty...)

What you probably do want is just to get a reactivate for Hoffman from somewhere. Which does have several benefits. Options would include casting Burn Out with Rusty Alyce on Hoffman.

Currently there is a BIG thread below asking for confirmation if reactivate can be assimilated once a model gets it. If it can, then Hoffman can Override Edict something else, then assimilate the reactivate to himself. Likewise, if Joss were around, he could assimilate it off of Joss when he gets it - or any other construct Ramos might give it to with his totem.

The official answer seems to be still "in discussion". There are a lot of implications if the answer turns out to be yes - not the least of which is Lazarus (a Book 3 minion) would be able to realitively easily assimilate reactivate then keep it for the rest of the game (auto reactivate every turn! yay!)

Sorry for the thesis answer. Enjoy playing Hoffman!

I don't see why Hoffman couldn't cast Ovverride Edict on himself. It doesn't have a :ranged. (Ref: See the ruling about Lilith casting Trasposition on herself on these forums.) There might be an issue with another ruling on the forums about models taking two activations in a row without the opponent gaining a chance to activate a model though.

Anyway, the gain shouldn't be underestimated. He can gain fast (twice even, and tap the same construct on both counts), and still gains 2 (0) actions (minus any (0) actions used for tap power of course).