Evaine's Painting Playground

Evaine

Hi all! I'm Evaine. I'm a new-again miniature painter - Malifaux has me started again after about a 10 year break. There are quite a few more resources available now than when I started painting in my late teens/early 20s (for example: the internet!), so I feel I've already improved on my techniques quite a bit. One day, if I'm particularly brave (or intoxicated), I might be convinced to post examples of my early work. For now though, I'm going to focus on my Malifaux minis. I'll put pictures of my completed work in this post and my WIP in separate posts. In addition to working full time and having a family, I'm kind of a compulsive perfectionist, so don't be surprised if my painting seems to crawl at a snail's pace.

Current WIP: Freikorps (entire box set)

Completed: Johan, Convict Gunslinger, Ronin x 2, Viktorias

Edited by Evaine
Added pictures, updated lists.

My primary crew is the Viktorias, so I decided to start with their box set. However, my painting is very rusty so I chose Johan to paint first as I don't really use him in play.

Here's the first WIP pic (from 14/08/11). I've only done the face and torso at this point, and base coated the boots - the rest is primer:

JohanWIP1.jpg

My current WIP (from 17/08/11). I've only base coated the cloak and the haft of the hammer. I haven't done anything with the metallics yet. The tatoo on the back of his left shoulder is my first attempt at free-hand ever.

JohanWIP3.jpg

JohanWIP4.jpg

Edited by Evaine
Added pictures & post

Beautiful skin tone, lovely painting. Can't wait to see the rest!

My only suggestion would be to tone down the eyes with a glaze or two- looks like you have used actual white for the eyeballs. Many painters tend to use an off-white for the whites of the eyes, and a dark grey for the pupils, as it makes the eyes look less glarey.

Nice work! I'm looking into getting the Vikis box, myself. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

My only suggestion would be to tone down the eyes with a glaze or two- looks like you have used actual white for the eyeballs. Many painters tend to use an off-white for the whites of the eyes, and a dark grey for the pupils, as it makes the eyes look less glarey.

Yeah. I use P3's Frostbite or Citadel's Space Wolf Grey for the whites (but I do a colored iris instead of a black or gray pupil).

Well I tried to sleep more than 4 hours today after my night shift, but the phone kept ringing so I got up and painted instead. Current WIP pictures:

JohanWIP5.jpg

JohanWIP6.jpg

Trying to decided what to do with the base - I'm thinking I might keep the rocks black so they look like slag. It would go well with the mining part of M&SU.

Thanks - I'm aware of the varnish. I thought I had some matte, but apparently not. Unfortunately, there are no all-night craft stores around, so I'll go pick some up today. :)

I decided to post the pics anyways because:

a) I'm impatient

B) if I didn't post them right away, I was likely to forget about it for at least a few days or possibly weeks as I tend to get busy/lazy and not get back to things.

I'll post some new pics once he's not so shiny.

Edited by Evaine
Added to post

i can point you in the direction of a good matt. Or you can use mine Sunday.

Gloss first to get a good seal then dust matt to get ride of shine.

Otherwise great job :)

Curse you, ;) I used to be one of the better painters in the group but now... you girls and your 3 -4 months experience have pushed me towards the bottom lol

@Durek: Now, to be fair, I probably originally started painting minis at the same time or even before you (remember how you like to point out how old I am?) and I did it for several years. You've just never seen any of those minis because I haven't finished unpacking yet (see above comment about getting busy/lazy). Besides, your minis look good too, and I still rely on you for pinning/conversion advice.

He's already sealed with gloss and apparently semi-gloss varnish (which was supposed to be matte). I'm going out of town today so he won't get finished with matte until at least Sunday.

• 5 months later...

Finally decided to look up the manual for my camera so I can take better pictures. That being said, my camera's at least 5 years old so some of my pictures will still be grainy.

Here's a close-up of the tattoo on my Convict Gunslinger.

post-6718-1391192194702_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evaine
Replaced blurry picture