Home Page Suggestion

Ahoyhoy,

Not sure if anyone else feels this way or if you guys lost your website developer or whatever but anyway...

I have a suggestion for the Wyrd Miniatures home page. I think it is a little lackluster and seems to be very rarely updated. When people navigate to the page, there's nothing juicy to look at think 'Wow, this is totally cool and I want to see more'. There's no picture of some painted miniatures, no picture of a game in process, no jaw dropping concept art, no sneak peak previews of some greens, pictures of upcoming releases. The 'Wyrd News' section is not even updated properly, with some news being posted on the forums and some on the home page. In essence, the main page doesn't properly convey the flavour of Malifaux nor does it properly inform. People can't be counted upon to access the forums for more information, particularly if they are shopping around for a new game and aren't sure about whether or not Malifaux is for them.

Also, during the GENCON online sales period, people at my LGS weren't even aware of the limited edition specials. There was nowhere on the main page or shop front that stated or announced the specials (not that this seemed to hinder sales ;p from what I'm seeing of people's receipt numbers). In fact, a few weeks before the sales I was trying to convince my fiance to extend the budget because I had noticed some GM postings regarding exclusives and bonus minis but then I had to trawl through pages and pages of people's posts to relocate exactly where I had read about the exclusives! Such important GM posts should have their own thread and be posted on the main page.

You could also have pages with photos of and information about the various factions and their associated figures that is separate from the online store. In that way, you could also have photos of your old limited edition minis and maybe some boxes with some player tips or hints or flavour text etc.

I have often felt that the homepage needs an introduction to wargaming and to playing Malifaux. There is an brief introduction to the world of Malifaux and a quick description of the mechanics of the game, but not enough, in my opinion, to draw a non-wargamer into the game.

In a several emails to my friends, I have mentioned that I play Malifaux and included a link to the homepage. A lot of my friends are wargamers, but many are not. Some are gamers, but do not play wagames. Some are not gamers at all. I think many of them would be more interested in playing Malifaux if they could better grasp the game from looking at this website. Of course, the best way for them to learn the game is for me to teach it to them, but I imagine that there are a fair amount of non-wargamers that stumble across the website every day.

Also, for what it's worth, I would consider replacing the artwork of the Red Joker on the homepage. It seems a little lackluster compared to of all the great artwork that has been produced for this game since the image of the Red Joker was created. I understand that the a picture of the Red Joker also emphasizes one of the unique elements of the game, that it is played with cards, but I think that you really want to put your best foot forward on the homepage. Otherwise, people checking out the game might just click away.