Control Deck vs Playing Card Deck - Combining the Two

Xander

Amazing, just amazing. I just read through this entire thread for the first time. What you have come up with is just beautiful.

Cheers, T

It's become quite a long thread indeed spanning over a month of me toiling in Illustrator and Photoshop.

I am glad that everyone seems to like the cards. It means I have tapped into the right vibe that I think we all felt was missing from the Malifaux control deck. :)

Cheers!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i may weigh in on the cracks/folds issue... My fear with switching to folds is that if it is just printed on the card, i don't know how it would look. i mean, when you see a fold in paper you expect it to be raised there. or i do at least. and it would have the same imperfection on the back... thus if you were crazy enough, (or played enough) you would know what card is next. same if you actually folded the cards. plus the actual folds would weaken the cards.

when i saw the cracked paint, i didn't even think about if ink really cracked. honestly i thought along the lines of the "imperfect stamp" myself.

but as we have all said, it's personal preference. =]

On the cracked paint/ink question. I think it's ok for it to look like paint since early playing cards were often hand painted. I'm not sure when this died out and it may be well before the time period of Malifaux but I'm sure highend cards would have continued to be produced in this way for some time.

I personally like the way the cracked ink looks and aesthetics in this case is probably better than authenticity. Even paint doesn't really crack like that but it looks cool and that's what matters.

In fact after looking at the cards again I think the reason it didn't stand out to me as not looking right is that I was seeing it as fold damage. Often when something like an old printed piece of board is folded it will lose the ink or paint along the edge of the crease. The lines it follows aren't quite right for this kind of damage and there would generally be some more indication of the crease outside of the printed area but that's how my brain interpreted it.

On a side note regarding the card backs. I think you should lose the pale faded drops you have on them. They look like someone has dripped bleach on there. With fading of inks it is generally similar across the entire surface and not localised like that. If you want to add more variation across the red then I'd suggest going with brown blotches, I think they'll look more natural.

Sorry for the degradation spiel, in my real life I'm an Art Conservator so this is kind of what I do.

Tweaked some things. Darker red by using less white fade over-top. Also added some dark stain on the top to increase the contrast of darks/lights, especially on the face cards.

Compare:

heart-ram-k_v2.pngram-k.png

Compare:

heart-ram-a.pngram-a.png

Some Crow cards, and a new 7 design:

crow-k.pngcrow-a.pngcrow-10.pngcrow-7.png

Comments/Criticism welcome!

I am trying to add more texture to the cards by using a dark stain and a light fade. These two overlay one another and created darker darks and lighter lights. This has led to a darker red colour. Let me know what you think.

To compare them side by side, use this link:

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showpost.php?p=307335&postcount=105

Edited by Xander

Nice additions, to me the red looks 'right' now. Also liking the crows cards! The new 7 design is nice, but I'm sticking with my previous vote for the middle of the 3 other designs.

I actually expected the King of Crows to only be in green and not red from your earlier comment on the face cards being faction colour. What does it look like fully green?

@Buhallin - Thanks! Good to know others like the cracks!

@Geckilian - Glad the red is in the right place now. 7 vote noted.

My concept with the face cards is that all cards will contain black and red (as these are the two colours of suits in a deck of cards). They will also contain yellow to represent the Outcast influence in other suits. The remaining colour would be used to represent the faction that matches the given suit. This poses a problem where red itself is concerned, which is why grey is used as a neutral for rams.

Perhaps I will mock up one using grey instead of red for the King of Crows, just to see how it looks. Thanks!

Edited by Xander

The new red is a lot better and I'm loving the crows, it's good to see the effect on one of the black suits. Also the heavier foxing effect looks excellent. The higher contrast sets off the rest of the card nicely.

I also think I've figured out why I like the non traditional seven arrangement and why I like the new seven you just posted. Having an arrangement that varies from what we are used to makes it feel older. When it is the standard arrangement we see every day it just looks like a set of cards that has been aged. By using a slightly non-traditional arrangement it is a bit of a visual cue of age. It looks like a deck of cards old enough to have been made before the design was standardised and makes it look like a handcrafted deck rather than mass-produced. By the same token I think you could get away with switching out the standard colours of the face cards if you want.

This is amazing. I applaud your creativity Xander

The King above a few posts has two rams pictures right next to each other on both sides of the card. This seems a bit cluttered to me... or rather less sacred. I would take away the symbol under the number. On the cards with Pips it doesn't bother me, in fact the repetition of symbols on those looks appropriate and should not be any other way.

I doubt I would include the blood drops. I used a regular card deck for a while and never had any problems deducing weak/moderate/ severe.... Or at least make them smaller (like the ones in the lower right corner, so unobtrusive it too me a while to really notice them). If you keep the blood I recommend a shift to grey or purple blood (black blood anyone?) for the black suit cards. The card is so pretty but the red drops in the corner really draw my eye.

The cracked look is great.

The cluster 7 design is by far my favorite.

I am all for matching proper faction colors to face cards.

either grey or the purple used for Death instead of red for crows.

Hrm... I am trying to think how to make this work thematically.

The new red is a lot better and I'm loving the crows, it's good to see the effect on one of the black suits. Also the heavier foxing effect looks excellent. The higher contrast sets off the rest of the card nicely.

Great! Good to know. :)

I also think I've figured out why I like the non traditional seven arrangement and why I like the new seven you just posted. Having an arrangement that varies from what we are used to makes it feel older. When it is the standard arrangement we see every day it just looks like a set of cards that has been aged. By using a slightly non-traditional arrangement it is a bit of a visual cue of age. It looks like a deck of cards old enough to have been made before the design was standardised and makes it look like a handcrafted deck rather than mass-produced. By the same token I think you could get away with switching out the standard colours of the face cards if you want.

I agree with your thoughts. It does seem to imply an old-timey distinction to the cards. I am still not 100% decided about which 7 I am going with, but I really don't like the traditional one...

This is amazing. I applaud your creativity Xander

Cheers! :)

The King above a few posts has two rams pictures right next to each other on both sides of the card. This seems a bit cluttered to me... or rather less sacred. I would take away the symbol under the number. On the cards with Pips it doesn't bother me' date=' in fact the repetition of symbols on those looks appropriate and should not be any other way.[/quote']

Holding a hand of cards necessitates the small pip. You need to be able to see the number and suit with a very shallow spread. It does look a bit crunched, especially the Crow, as the face cards are not leaving a lot of room for a larger symbol.

I would swap the red for a pale purple on both of the Black cards.. I think it will look fine as the Black Cards will then be Green and Pale Purple that works and, Blue and Pale Purple that works.

This means the Red and the Purple on the court cards matches the Red and Purple on the Jokers.

I would swap the red for a pale purple on both of the Black cards.. I think it will look fine as the Black Cards will then be Green and Pale Purple that works and, Blue and Pale Purple that works.

This means the Red and the Purple on the court cards matches the Red and Purple on the Jokers.

That might work. What about Rams and Masks? or do those have the pale purple as well?

I would go with Red and Tan for Rams (it is the Guild secondary colour look at Hoffman's Constructs) and Red and a Puce for Neverborn.

This sounds uneven to me, I think you see it this way:

Ram: Tan/red - (to match red joker)

Mask: Puce/red - (to match red joker)

Crow: Green/light purple - (to match black joker)

Tome: Blue/light purple - (to match black joker)

I see it this way though:

Ram: Red/tan - (secondary colours do not match in red)

Mask: Puce/red - (secondary colours do not match in red)

Crow: Green/light purple

Tome: Blue/light purple

Ideally I want something like this

Ram: Red/colour-x

Mask: Purple/colour-x

Whatever colour-x is could be used to colour the red Joker. Red bungles up the balance for me for some reason! I guess because it is a faction colour and also a suit colour AND a joker colour.

Hrm...

This sounds uneven to me, I think you see it this way:

Ram: Tan/red - (to match red joker)

Mask: Puce/red - (to match red joker)

Crow: Green/light purple - (to match black joker)

Tome: Blue/light purple - (to match black joker)

I see it this way though:

Ram: Red/tan - (secondary colours do not match in red)

Mask: Puce/red - (secondary colours do not match in red)

Ideally I want something like this

Ram: Red/colour-x

Mask: Purple/colour-x

Whatever colour-x is could be used to colour the red Joker. Red bungles up the balance for me for some reason! I guess because it is a faction colour and also a suit colour AND a joker colour.

Hrm...

Ram: Red/Burgundy

Mask: Puce/Burgundy