Making Sure this is Legal

edonil

So, I want to make sure that something I've done with Kirai is actually legal. Rather than wait for my opponent to kill Kirai to get the bonus from Lost Love, I get her health done low by Evolving Spirits, and then on the second turn I use Drain Souls on her, sacrificing her, gaining a Soulstone, and turning her into a spirit. Just wanted to double check that I'm not cheating my opponents by doing that.

I don't see any reason you cant.. However I prefer to use into the Spirit World, then as she is a spirit using Absorb spirit on herself. Not only does it give you fast which cancels out the cost. but it also means after you have come back as a Spirit on 4 Wds it allows you to draw 2 cards and then heal another 2Wds. I think it's a better swap than a soulstone and losing Wp across your crew.

I don't see any reason you cant.. However I prefer to use into the Spirit World, then as she is a spirit using Absorb spirit on herself. Not only does it give you fast which cancels out the cost. but it also means after you have come back as a Spirit on 4 Wds it allows you to draw 2 cards and then heal another 2Wds. I think it's a better swap than a soulstone and losing Wp across your crew.

...(jaw drops) Holy crap...never even thought of that. That's scary...and very sweet, I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to play with my recently acquired Kirai crew so pardon the newbieness here. As awesome as this sounds, do you normally want to self inflict a kill on Kirai? When I saw Lost Love's ability to ressurect Kiria, I saw it more as a safeguard against your opponent killing Kirai.

I guess the question boils down to is it really worth killing your own Kiria rather than having Lost Love as a safety net against opponent's killing her?

I would say it depends on the opponent, and how quickly you need to get new stuff on the board. Personally, in my (ever so limited) experience, it's a viable and worthwhile tactic because it lets me run even lower on my wounds for the first turn to get more stuff on the board. Also, it means that she's dying when I want her to, rather than my opponent.

So the idea with Kiria here is to summon many spirits and take WDs to below 4 then after you have almost killed yourself, you eat yourself, but Lost Love brings you back, and higher WDs than you had before, all for the sake of summoning more?

I guess Ive just never thought of wanting Kiria to die for a benefit before.

So the idea with Kiria here is to summon many spirits and take WDs to below 4 then after you have almost killed yourself, you eat yourself, but Lost Love brings you back, and higher WDs than you had before, all for the sake of summoning more?

I guess Ive just never thought of wanting Kiria to die for a benefit before.

Well as with everything in Malifaux its not always that simple. The circumstances when you want to sac Kirai on purpose are usually:

When you dont have another spirit you want to or can sacrifice for Absorb or Summons

When you're too low on wounds to summon and you have no way of healing

When you have board control and you're satisifed you dont need lose love protection anymore, and want to press the advantage by keeping your other spirits on the board

It's never an automatic decision, but there are lots of reasons to do it. Like anything that's one-shot, though, you have to know when and why to do it.

For me the real point of this is two fold. You can regain life from summoning fast... which is good, but not the real reason you want to do it. The real reason is you remove your reliance on Masks for movement, Kirai main defence and strength is speed. If your a spirit you can swirl yourself to get yourself in place if you don't have a Mask to Into the Spirit World. Also freeing up Masks makes Datsu-ba far more effective as you have the Masks to give models extra moves.

I have yet to play with my recently acquired Kirai crew so pardon the newbieness here. As awesome as this sounds, do you normally want to self inflict a kill on Kirai? When I saw Lost Love's ability to ressurect Kiria, I saw it more as a safeguard against your opponent killing Kirai.

I guess the question boils down to is it really worth killing your own Kiria rather than having Lost Love as a safety net against opponent's killing her?

The other reason is if you want to get out her avatar form. One of the two manifest requirements is for her to have the spirit trait in two different turns. If you're someone like me that can never get that 7 of masks you need to use her spell, offing her and using the lost love to bring her back is a way to take care of it. Plus you lose the Lost Love anyway when the avatar manifests.