The Ball - Roleplay Thread

Doctor Amos

Black was about to turn the handle on the door when he heard the footsteps behind him. He turned and saw Eril, accompanied by the showgirl and her mannequin that he had noticed before.

"excuse me sir, do you know if there is any other way out of here?" Elril asks Absolution Black. "Things are getting rather too interesting downstairs."

Black motioned for the man to be quiet, pointing to the door beside him. He waited for the others to oblige before he moved over to them.

"I don't know who you are, but there's some bad things going down tonight" He whispered in a low voice, "I have no idea if there is a fire escape or anything. But if you are felling brave, there are some rather handy bushes out of that window."

He pointed to the small open window that Lydia had only moments before leapt from.

Now if you'll excuse me I have business of my own to attend to.."

He left the trio standing there as he approached the doorway again. He pulled his concealed handgun from under his jacket and slowly turned the handle. He felt a little bit bad at being so abrupt with the others, but he really didn't want to have to look out for anyone else.

He pushed the door open, and slowly turned around it to see into the room. In the candlelight he could just make out the form of something shuffling around....as he waitied for his eyes to adjust he advanced into the doorway. Before he could react, something had grabbed him and he flew into the room, the door slamming shut behind him.....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lydia skidded to a halt, hearing the heavy fall of boots gaining on her. She cursed the fact that she was being followed, and looked around and rolled her eyes as she saw Alleycat approaching, tipping his hat as he did so.

She knew she would have been able to outrun him easily if it hadn't been for her....condition.

"I would guess from your rapid departure that you are after something. Care for a second pair of hands to help out?" Seeing Lydia's skeptical look,Alleycat smiles "I owe Black a favor. Figure helping keep you safe will do well enough."

Lydia scowled. Keeping her safe? He obviously had no idea of how able she was to look after herself, yet she souldn't exactly tell him this without giving her powers away. She instead adjusted the tattered remnants of her dress and smiled that sweet, seductive smile she had spent months perfecting whilst employed at the Star.

"Thats mighty fine of you sir, but rest assured I will be fine all by myself. I always am".

She waited for a response but alleycat, or Al, simply remained standing there, smiling. She sighed. This wasn't going to be easy. And, she thought, an extra pair of eyes and ears may be helpful, even if it was just as a distraction. Though something about Al made her wonder just how dangerous this man actually was under the charade of his exterior.

"Fine. But it will be dangerous. And if I say something, you do it. Right, no questions asked?"

He nodded, smiling.

"Ok. Then let's go" She broke into her run again, pacing herself. She smiled to herself as she heard the man catch up and fall into the run alongside her. This favour to Black must be a big one, she thought. Either that, or this guy has a screw loose......

Alleycat fell in step with Lydia,and the heavy footfalls from when he had approached behind Lydia ceased completely,his stride now almost eerily silent. Lydia's head snapped around to look at him as if to check he was still there. Alleycat grinned again "tis impolite to sneak up on a friend after all" though a twinkle in his eye showed that his estimation of Lydia's abilities had gone up a notch in the speed of her noticing. "Besides,its a piss poor excuse for a cat what can't walk silent when it needs to"

Alleycat scanned the surroundings as they ran,the comparitively slow stride allowing him more then ample time to pay close attention to them,though he did notice that Lydia kept to it easily as well.

In a casual tone he asks "So,who's plans are we disrupting tonight?" Seeing her eye him as if trying to determine how to answer,Alleycat smiles again. "Dont worry darlin,there are two reasons why it doesn't matter to me who it is. First,and most importantly,because of what Black said to me when we met. He has used that phrase before,when he wanted me to watch over someone while he couldn't.Secondly,even if it wasn't traditional pay,when I am bought i stay bought. So till morning or till I get you back to Absolution, you got my help"

Edited by Dark Alleycat

Lydia's expression didn't change as they ran, yet she was rapidly coming to the conclusion that she wouldn't be free from Al until this whole mess was over. She pulled out the tattered card from her cleavage and handed it to the other.

"We're going to see a friend about getting into the guild gaolhouse". She said, matter of factly, "There is a cat we need to bust out".

She said it with such a straight face, and she could see the questioning look in the man's eyes as they turned their heads to look at each other.

"Yes, a cat". She sighed and continued running.

They reached the address on the card, a pokey little office tucked away in a dark back street. It was late but light from an oil lamp still glowed through the dusty window. She pushed the crumpled card back in her cleavage and knocked firmly on the door.

A man in his fifties opened it, his mechanical arm whirring and clunking with the effort. he immediately smiled upon seeing lydia, and then frowned when he saw her entourage.

"Lydia, its been a while. keeping well I hope?"

"Very, Knoffler. But unfortunately, I have no time for catch up...I need your expert help".

Within minutes she had explained the situation. Knoffler nodded and frowned all through the tale, and at the end, strode off into the back, returning a few seconds later with a key.

"Now this will get you in...through a way not many know of". He pushed the key into her hand.

"Once in, I'm afraid apart from sending you in the general direction of the cells, you will be on your own."

Lydia nodded, fixing the key onto the no doubt expensive necklace Black had given her earlier. Then kissing knoffler on the cheek, she motioned to Al to follow and they began to run at the steady pace once more, dep into Mlaifaux and to the Guild Gaolhouse.............

Alleycat ran alongside Lydia, a wry grin on his face "I am going to assume that this cat is either a 'Born or a Arcanist familiar. I need to know which so I know which holding cell it will be in." In a momentary pause,Alleycat pulled out 2 largebore pistols and reloaded them from a red box.As he replaced them in the holsters at his hips,Lydia saw the flash of a emblem on the grips,a stylized FK. As he slipped them away,the whirring on his back intensified and the box unfolded,revealing itself to be two bronze and bone mechanical arms holding a pair of slimmed down Peacebringers,but instead of the normal steel the blades on the grips were of polished obsidian.

After reloading them from the same box,Alleycat looked up to see Lydia staring at him coldly. "They generally don't let non-guild carry those."

"Criid gave me those as part of a payment for removing a very dangerous magical abomination. The other two pistols were a gift from Von Schill after saving one of his Trappers from a Guild hanging party."After saying this,the two arms folded themselves back away into the small box and he turned to look at Lydia. "And I know my way around the holding cells. So you get us in,and I can likely find who we are looking for"

Edited by Dark Alleycat

Lydia continued to be amazed at her new companion. She was about to ask exactly how he knew his way around the gaol so well, but held her tongue...it was irrelevant.

"Fine, Its a Neverborn familiar...I hope thats not going to be a problem?" It was a statement rather than a question.

They approached the gaol silently, like two cats stalking birds. She was impressed at how stealthily he moved especially considering the weight he was carrying. Though she did think four guns was a little overkill. After all, she was armed with only her knife and her talents. It had always been enough so far.

She hoped she would not have to use her abilities tonight, as she didn't want any innocents to die. And despite his persistence, she had grown to like Al, in one professional to another kind of way. She'd hate to see him hurt at her hands.

She wondered about telling him her secret, just as a warning in case the situation called for drastic measures, but was stopped by the appearance of three guild guards performing a routine patrol. She cursed when she saw them stop exactly outside the concealed entrance they were headed for...

"Any way we can get them away with the minimum of noise...and bloodshed?" She turned to Al, who was already gone......

Alleycat slipped into the shadows,considering his options. Once inside,he might be able to brazen his way past interior guards,but the outside guards tended to want to see things like writs and other paperwork that he wouldn't be able to produce on such short notice. The bullets he had chosen were non lethal to humans,though they would drop them in their tracks for 8 hours,another little gift from Sonnia,given with a promise that if he had to engage Guild members in the future to try and use them instead. However none of his guns were quiet enough for this without a little help.

He could allways try taking them in hand to hand,but he couldn't be sure he could take all three silently without raising alarm. So he would have to use his own talents.Calling on his own talents was draining,but it was neccessary. When he had gone through the breach on a prison transport,his entire car had gone utterly silent for a period of a hour and ever since then he could call the quiet inside him to cover an area about 5 feet around him with concentration although he could silence parts of his body with very little effort,such as what he regularly used to make his footsteps silent.

As he focused on the quiet,the two mechanical arms at his back unwound and unleashed 3 quick shots into the patrolling guardsman who crumpled to the ground. As Lydia hurried up,clearly worried over the Guardsman,Alleycat stepped beside her. "They are fine,will be sleeping for the next 6 hours or so." Quickly dragging them out of sight into their guard house he smiled at Lydia. "Lead on lass"

A small mechanical dove flew right up and landed on Lyndia's arm

"Isn't that one of Colette's?"

"From a distance it looks like one, Al, but it's not. I have no idea where this little guy is from" at that point both lyndia and the dove disappeared in a puff of smoke. A man with in silver appeared behind Al

"A pity, she was rather pretty." Al turned around and fired several shots at the stranger, each passed through him and never left a scratch. "Sorry guns don't work on me. So here's the deal, inside that building there is a neverborn artefact, a silver bird get it and give to me and young lady will return unharmed."

Alleycat sighed softly "Well,then there is two options.The first one,is that you return Lydia,and pay me to recover this artifact for you And either I get it while im in there,or I come back at a later time to collect it. The second option,is that I put bullets into you that will hurt you. And trust me on this,I have some that will." As he says this,he pulls out a small box colored black and removes a silver pepperbox derringer. "Make your choice,and make it quickly"

Alleycat hefts the bag and nods before turning back to Lydia. "Hope you don't mind a small bit of side business while we are there. Its likely they would keep the 'born related things together anyways." He wasn't thrilled about this turn of events,but business was business and regardless of that,he hadn't been sure that anything other then agreeing to the strange Neverborn's demands would have brought Lydia back. Seeing the look in Lydia's eyes,Alleycat smiles "While I appreciate a good bit of mayhem as much as the next guy,stopping to wring his neck would likely draw too much attention. And as a personal favor,could you avoid killing him until after I have delivered the artifact he wanted. It never looks good when a client ends up dead before a contract is fulfilled."

The events had all happened so fast and Lydia took a few seconds to gather her wits before she spun to face the man in silver, but he was already gone. She was fuming, and held the short knife tightly in one hand. She turned back around to see Al shaking the bag of soulstones.

"You do your bit, I'm not getting distracted. Now lets get moving before sleeping beauties here wake up".

She was still seething as she suddenly remembered she was going to tell Al something.

"Oh, and if I say hold back, or stay where you are....you stay. it will more than likely mean I am about to.....well, lets just say you don't want to be in the immediate vicinity if I am forced to use my talents".

She waited for the nod from the other before they slipped silently into the gaol and made their way towards the Holding area where hopefully they would find Hayzel's cat, and Al could do whatever he had to do...

The man in silver reapeared back in the ball, he was pleased with himself, he could be at both the ball and get his prize at the same time.

He pulled a small clockwork dove out of his pocket, he need to keep an eye on his investment after all. The bird disappeared and reapaered behind Al and Lyndia. Who knows, he might hire them again if they do well.

Edited by Sliver Chocobo

Alleycat nods to Lydia. "Like i said,if we can grab it along the way then so be it. Otherwise I come back afterwards and retrieve it.Princess Hayzel's cat eh? That will make things interesting. It will be in a More secure area,one protected against magics. It will be closer to the Inquisitor's area...but we can still manage it."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mr. Wyrd was back in the states embalming another cadaver that was just recently entered into his morgue. Oh how the dead fascinated Mr. Wyrd, so much that his whole life has been studying the dead, voodoo, witch doctoring. Anything that could lead him to his one true wish, the power to raise and command the undead. After many failed attempts to raise the dead, and many mutilated cadavers, his patience has become thin.

After searching And searching And searching for ways to raise the dead he overheard some wonderful news. A breach in time and space itself has open And revealed a whole different world, a magical world. A world called, malifaux. In this world magic is drawn from the dead and kept in stones called soulstones. This peeked Mr. Wyrds interest, harvesting the dead. Maybe he could use these "soulstones" and the souls within to imbue a corpse to reanimate. This could be his chance, a chance to raise the dead. He could not pass this up, and to his surprise they were already building a train specifically made to traveling into the breach and back. Everything was going to plan, he was then approached by an elderly man with a mechanical leg. The man placed his hand on Mr. Wyrds shoulder and whispered, "I've been watching you and know what you seek, meet me in the ballroom in Malifaux."

coach outlet

Coach Handbags

Coach Outlet Stores