Got Leveticus, What Next?

Joasht

Well, you should probably get a 2nd Hollow Waif. Either buy the clamshell and split it with a friend who also needs a Hollow Waif, or just keep both and have 3 to choose from. Then you might want to consider a Canine Remains, as they are great for killing on Turn 1 in order to get your 2nd Hollow Waif quickly into play.

I also find that the Guild Watcher makes it into many of my lists, as do Necropunks lately. Those are all 3 point models that are NOT Insignificant, which is really nice for Interact-based strategies. Ryle is another choice a lot of people seem to like.

Also, the Dead Rider just released, and him and the Hooded Rider are fun to choose from.

Overall though, you will also see some people who will swear by Rotten Belles and Punk Zombies for Levi too. I personally prefer the Constructs (more fodder to summon SPAs off of when they die). So I would probably decide which 'brand' (Undead or Constructs) you like best and focus mostly on those first.

Good luck! Levi is tricky to learn at first, but I have had SO much fun with him the past 3 months. He's probably tied for my favorite master along with Colette now.

I spent the last hour flipping through some threads, I noticed some trends of models with him......

- Riders (Hooded or Dead? Or both, assuming you could?)

- When people say "Belle" do they mean Bele Noir (iirc thats her name) or, as you mentioned, Rotten Belle's?

- Ryle

- Canine Remains

- More Waifs (will get this, surely.)

- Watcher

- Guardian

- Punks

- .....more steampunk abominations? I can see my four running out really fast, especially if I start with four on the table.....

Sigh I'm confused though, in an ideal world with a lot of money I'd just buy all in one shot, but I can't...what should I give priority to?

Thanks.

Haha good gosh.....what have I gotten myself into!?

For the budget-concious Leve player, what woudl be my priorities though? I mentioned in my prior post that in an ideal world I'd just buy everything, but I can't.....

Haha, yep. Levi and Zoraida are not necessarily Masters for the faint of wallet. That said, you can get by very easily without too much.

Assuming you will be playing 35 SS games, my list will typically look something like this:

Alyce

SPAs x4

Canine Remains (for 2nd Hollow Waif)

That gives you 13 more points to play with, though you need Soulstones out of that two. So really only looking at 1-2 more models most of the time. If you toss in Just Ryle or the Hooded Rider, that leaves you 5 Soulstones. Or you toss in a Watcher and a Necropunk leaves you 7 Soulstones.

So honestly, to start out with, you really don't need much in addition to the box set. Levi's box by itself is actually a really great 25 SS crew.

Oh, and when I mentioned Belles above, I was talking about Rotten Belles. Noir is actually Bete Noir, with a 't', not an 'l'. ;)

Oooh, you can add Killjoy to the list. He's another fun one with Levi, especially if you run a Necropunk as well. Use their Slow to Die action to summon Killjoy.

LOL, sorry...lots of fun to be had with Levi. I suggest getting a good 3-4 games under your belt to figure out what else you need to add to the crew. More melee? More ranged support? More strategy grabbers? Etc.

I assume you mean 'Hooded' Rider, not Hollow. But both are good and have their uses in different functions. I really like the Hooded Rider against the Guild, because you can put it in 'Midnight' mode and it can be hit by ranged attacks. Make it solid for going after things like Nino or Austringers that are trying to snipe your Hollow Waifs. The Dead Rider is awesome too though, as it can heal 3 Wds per turn thanks to Regen 1 and it's (0) action.

Ultimately, I intend to run both from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a little bit more money, now I'm torn between buying more stuff for Leveticus, or to get a second Master (really interested in Hamelin, like rodents) to give myself more options when playing.

Just for the record, I currently own the Leveticus box, Desolation Engine, extra Waifs, Canine Remains and Ryle. Was thinking of adding a C.Hoffman box (for the Guardian/watcher....or should I just buy their blisters?) and either a Dead or Hooded Rider.

Opinions?

Thanks!

I had my first game of Malifaux on Friday (both "1st game ever" and "1st game with Leveticus") against Lady J, and it went really well! Enjoyed it thoroughly, despite me forgetting that I get a new hand everytime he dies and respawns (would have helped me, because towards the end of the game I only had a few useless cards in my hand after Alyce died :()

A thought crossed my mind though, once my friend gets Sonnia, wouldn't I suffer terribly against her with Leveticus? Where should I go from here?

Theres a thread a little ways up that me and lobo have posted on. Killing Sonnia with levi will be tough, and you'll likely have to rely on your Desi', Jack Daw, Hooded Rider or whathaveyou to kill or at least tie her up while Levi and the rest of your crew deal with her minions. It is a tough matchup, and she is fairly well designed to slow levi down a lot, but he can take her with a little planning and strategy.

• 2 weeks later...

How about adding Collodi?

No real synergies, but seems like a fun matchup.

Levi to output massive damage against singe hard targets, and Collodi with his dolls to zip all over the board cutting everything else and handling objectives.

You don't get any Stiched obviously, but still...

Anyone tried it?

I think I'll try something like this at 35ss.

Leveticus -- 2 Cache

Collodi

Marionette

Marionette

Marionette

Marionette

Wicked Doll

Wicked Doll

Wicked Doll

Wicked Doll

Wicked Doll

Canine Remains

I don't think levi can hire wicked dolls, but don't quote me on that in case collodi makes it otherwise or if I overlooked the fact that they're might be constructs or.something. However, the list I might run with him is

Levi

Collodi

Marionettes x4

Alyce

Lazarus (book 3)

Maybe a canine if you can fit it in.

Edited by Necromorph

Wicked dolls are constructs so he can hire them (and they have no other restrictions other than being special forces)

But you are probably right in that Alyce is such a general benefit so it makes sense to skip a few dolls to hire her as well.

eyeing that Collodi box set... Now I want to try this :)

I was going to try it the moment Collodi came out, but I was so put off by the sculpts for his models that I didn't even buy him. Maybe if the Widow Weaver looks like the art and not some stiff, blocky turd with sausage fingers, I'll actually suck it up and buy him just for the tactical value, lol.

As for a rider list. I think it's great and all, but I really think that those lists and his avatar are going to be highly situational...gotta have a second and third avatar-less options to fall back on, lol.

EDIT: On the subject of rider lists. They seem situational, as I said, but think about a tournament where you have a 55ss pool per faction or something. 35ss of that would be riders. I mean I guess there's summoning one and such, but still, it's quite an investment for something you're not going to want to use in every game.

Edited by Necromorph

I was going to try it the

EDIT: On the subject of rider lists. They seem situational, as I said, but think about a tournament where you have a 55ss pool per faction or something. 35ss of that would be riders. I mean I guess there's summoning one and such, but still, it's quite an investment for something you're not going to want to use in every game.

Yeh I really want to see his full stats. Maybe he is ABLE to run a fun all rider list but really shines with one or two and other stuff....I hope. I don't want a dud of an avatar :(